Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
K20 oil filter is best accessed with the nearside wheel off IME. I'm too old/fat for that **** now, each year goes by the floor seems to get further away, I just get a garage (TGM) to do it.

Soldato
You lot are putting me of changing the oil on my FN2 myself thats for sure, as if the threat of imminent snow and limited time to do it this weekend wasn't enough! :D

Soldato
Quick question; I still have yet to sort out my oil leak :( I have the parts and just need to get it booked in. Now, what my question is would an oil leak at the sump affect performance? Car pulls hard in VTEC but not as hard as it used to.

I understand VTEC works with oil pressure etc and my oil level is in between the 2 holes on the dipstick. Rather confused at the moment.

Associate
Would you guys be annoyed that Honda used Castrol Magnatec low ash instead of Castrol Edge while servicing your type r?

Just had my CTR serviced at a main Honda dealer and they have always used Edge before however I noticed they used the cheaper Magnatec this time. It’s fully synthetic but it looks like a poorer/cheaper option to Edge.

Soldato
Quick question; I still have yet to sort out my oil leak :( I have the parts and just need to get it booked in. Now, what my question is would an oil leak at the sump affect performance? Car pulls hard in VTEC but not as hard as it used to.

I understand VTEC works with oil pressure etc and my oil level is in between the 2 holes on the dipstick. Rather confused at the moment.

My opinion. You've got used to the power, and now want more.

There's nothing wrong with it, other than an oil leak. Get it sorted and be happy ;)

Soldato
My opinion. You've got used to the power, and now want more.

There's nothing wrong with it, other than an oil leak. Get it sorted and be happy ;)

I don't think I have got used to the power. Seems like it has flat spots or something. Honestly, before it used to pull from 2k up in 2nd gear, and it was very harsh in VTEC. Now it just seems a little dead? Have done an ECU reset to see if that helps.

Man of Honour
OP
Vita,

Oil pressure and VTEC is an on/off switch. Once the oil is at a certain pressure, VTEC can engage. Stop flapping and just get it booked in. :)

My Evo felt rapid when I picked it up, it doesn't feel as fast now. Because I've got used to it.

As time goes on with your car you will notice more things. The flat spots would have been there when you got it, but you didn't realise as you were having too much fun. Flat spots are common on the ATR, probably EGR related.

Soldato
Vita,

Oil pressure and VTEC is an on/off switch. Once the oil is at a certain pressure, VTEC can engage. Stop flapping and just get it booked in. :)

My Evo felt rapid when I picked it up, it doesn't feel as fast now. Because I've got used to it.

As time goes on with your car you will notice more things. The flat spots would have been there when you got it, but you didn't realise as you were having too much fun. Flat spots are common on the ATR, probably EGR related.

I've been meaning to get it booked in but have been busy with other things.

Maybe you both are right. I'm still uncertain but will get it all checked. I really love this car but a part of me wishes I had bought a CL1.

Man of Honour
OP
It's a Honda not a Ferrari. Whatever it is, it'll be a cheap (ish) and simple fix. I really wouldn't worry, you can't go out and buy a 10+ year old car and not expect to have to spend some money on it.

Soldato
It's a Honda not a Ferrari. Whatever it is, it'll be a cheap (ish) and simple fix. I really wouldn't worry, you can't go out and buy a 10+ year old car and not expect to have to spend some money on it.

Ofcourse, I knew I would be spending money on it. I'll have it checked out and sorted. Hopefully I will find out how it's performing at the RR.

Caporegime
Would you guys be annoyed that Honda used Castrol Magnatec low ash instead of Castrol Edge while servicing your type r?

Just had my CTR serviced at a main Honda dealer and they have always used Edge before however I noticed they used the cheaper Magnatec this time. It’s fully synthetic but it looks like a poorer/cheaper option to Edge.

Which Magnatec ?

Soldato
Vita,

Just worth noting it kinda works opposite. Once VTEC engages the car monitors the switch, if oil drops below the 55psi threshold VTEC will disengage and you'll get a CEL. On OBD2 b18 engines this was removed anyway, I guess Honda were confident enough and could take a cost save sensor out.

One thing worth checking is the gauze on the VTEC solenoid to ensure its clear aswell.

Don
Just worth noting it kinda works opposite. Once VTEC engages the car monitors the switch, if oil drops below the 55psi threshold VTEC will disengage and you'll get a CEL. On OBD2 b18 engines this was removed anyway, I guess Honda were confident enough and could take a cost save sensor out.

One thing worth checking is the gauze on the VTEC solenoid to ensure its clear aswell.

If you're checking this, I'd buy a replacement gasket, just in case. They can split and once you open undo the vtec solenoid, it could leak if you put the split gasket back in.

Don't know where it's located on a K20, I did my B18 one during an oil change. Get some rags ready beneath it as some oil does come out of the unit upon removal.

Back
Top Bottom