Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
Well despite me not being overly enamored with the FN2 Type-R on a test drive I took, I've reconsidered my budget and decided I don't want to spend £12K on a Golf R32. I just hope I can readjust to having hardly any torque after owning a turbo monster and a N/A V6 - though I am looking forward to having that high revving excitement.

There seems to be an abundance of good quality, low mileage FN2s for circa £7K.

I'm going to see this one today, private;

Not sure on the reg plate :p
ndvkg4.jpg

I'm thinking perhaps the addition of a Martelius exhaust, Tegiwa intake and remap may make it a more compelling option.

I used to love my old EP3 years ago but not sure I could stomach going back to one now, they are starting to look a little dated despite them clearly being thought of as better than the FN2. My Milano EP3 started to go pink despite me using high quality cleaning products, does anyone know if the FN2 has the same curse?

Any other suggestions for around £7K? I don't think I can bring myself to look at an Astra VXR from what I've read, plus I dislike Vauxhall in general. DC5 is tempting, but at my budget it would be a pre-facelift poor example I expect.

Last edited:
Don
DC5 is tempting, but at my budget it would be a pre-facelift poor example I expect.

£7k is pre-facelift DC5 arena but definitely doesn't exclude finding a good one (my own car for sale is an example of this).

That particular FN2 looks in good condition though.

[Edit] as for other cars, does the Focus-ST fit into that budget yet? Certainly plenty of torque on those.

Soldato
I have had Martelius, really good fun in VTEC but sounds **** anywhere else in the range, very tinny noise, my current one is very deep. My current one is way better in every aspect, especially the quality.

Associate
I have had Martelius, really good fun in VTEC but sounds **** anywhere else in the range, very tinny noise, my current one is very deep. My current one is way better in every aspect, especially the quality.

Thanks for the input, so what is your current one? :)

Went to see car, looked great with the GP Pack, so much so I wont buy one without now.

Sadly the car I went to see has some niggles;

Missing service stamp
Electric windows didn't work, fuse?
Scrape on rear arch
Badly needed front discs
Wind noise through passenger door

Shame as seller wanted over market price.

Off to try an Astra VXR tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity :)

Soldato
bit bad at all :) nice

it is quite linear in output - or does it have any lift higher up the revs ?

my wifes 2.0 Type-S (Civic) - is flat - so feels like a normal 2.0 engine (still nippy) than a Honda engine - as its VTEC-E or whatever that is vs VTEC. Goes into 12Valve mode 2k revs or below or something

Soldato
Its hard to say because it doesnt make much noise its all very deceiving especially in the higher gears, it feels its most torquey right in the middle so around 4k up to 6K rpm, I've read that it does cam change over between 6k rpm and 7k rpm but to be honest I've not had the chance to take it up there in the two weeks I've had it because by the time I get anywhere near 6K in 2nd or 3rd its time to start slowing down as its a big heavy car although the brakes are quite good

I need to get it out on an open road and get it near the limiter to see what happens

Soldato
Thanks for the input, so what is your current one? :)

Went to see car, looked great with the GP Pack, so much so I wont buy one without now.

Sadly the car I went to see has some niggles;

Missing service stamp
Electric windows didn't work, fuse?
Scrape on rear arch
Badly needed front discs
Wind noise through passenger door

Shame as seller wanted over market price.

Off to try an Astra VXR tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity :)

It's a custom one made by a company in Scotland called Meercat. I had a Tegiwa (Fujitsubo copy apparently) it was too quiet for my liking.

Associate
Didn't try the VXR, one look inside put me off. Seen sense with avoiding an EP3 again too, love them but haven't aged well.

I love the look of this FN2 I posted above, just trying to overcome the niggles. Rang and offered him £6800, he has dropped from £7700 to £7300.

I dont like niggles on cars Ive just bought, but everything is fixable right....? Hmmmm. Not sure what to do. His is the only one for sale in the UK with the GP kit, or at least within budget.

Don
Still am buddy, but feel scared off by most I look at. Theres a one same colour as yours advertised on London which looks great on photos - or maybe thats yours? lol

I've advertised on PH and ITR-DC5.com, not sure where you've seen your ad. Basingstoke is hardly far from london though so search engines might cover the area too

Associate
Had an offer of £6.5k today but the chap has to sell his A3 first so still at square 1 really!

Be patient buddy, I'm the worst for getting nervous and selling too low. I lost £1000 more than I should have on my R32 and will always regret it. You have a rare motor, so take advantage of that :)

I'm trying to arrange a second viewing of the FN2 today, I'm sure the little niggles can all be rectified easily. Just hope it hasnt sold!

Soldato
Bad news for me.

I was driving earlier to go get my tracking sorted as it's a little out, went over a hill as I came down the hill I heard a strange sound. Power steering went, battery light came on. I immediately put the car into neutral and turned the engine off.

I opened the bonnet and saw that the powersteering belt and cam belt, had come off. I also noticed the main crank pulley hanging down. It seemed to have it's bolt still attached to it.

I do remember the crank pulley wobbling a little, but I thought nothing of it.

I am now worried the teeth on the engine side it slots into has shredded and I may need an replacement engine. Only time will tell.

Pics:

img3964sh.jpg

img3966p.jpg

Back
Top Bottom