Type R and VTEC owners

:eek: oh dear :( Is that definately a cambelt though, rather than an alternator belt? There don't appear to be any pulleys connected to the head / cam..

Not sure. Only 2 belts there, a thin one which I think runs the PS pump and connects to the crank. Another which is fatter and probably runs the alternator off the crank. I don't have a lot of car engine knowledge so excuse me if I'm wrong.

Just dreading it incase I need a replacement engine.

The top belt/first pic, google says is a PAS belt for sure.

It may not be as scary as first thought, likely be auxillary stuff... as I would imagine the cambelt is hidden by that black cover next to/under the red rocker cover in the pic?

Either way hope it's not costly Vita :(

I wouldn't worry, those are just the aux belts. The cam belt will be run off a different "inner" pulley. Bit worrying why that pulley worked loose, but hopefully it just wasn't tightened correctly.

noob honda owner incoming!!! and im looking for some advice, i've got a 2001 Honda accord 1.8 vtec sport and until today everything has been ok, but when driving home from work today i noticed a click coming from the clutch pedal near the top of the travel, it doesnt seem to happen whenever i bring the clutch up but when i push the clutch down it seems to happen. I can actually feel the click under my left foot, so im assuming its not the clutch it self the car drives fine, but this click is rather annoying. any help would be gratefully received

The top belt/first pic, google says is a PAS belt for sure.

It may not be as scary as first thought, likely be auxillary stuff... as I would imagine the cambelt is hidden by that black cover next to/under the red rocker cover in the pic?

Either way hope it's not costly Vita :(

Ah I see. That is why the power steering went heavy/battery light came on. I'm glad I turned it off quickly so I'm hoping it hasn't damaged a lot.

I really like this car, but I am now worried what else could happen. Like I said I do remember it wobbling but I never thought nothing of it. I should have paid more attention to it. Live and learn I guess.

I wouldn't worry, those are just the aux belts. The cam belt will be run off a different "inner" pulley. Bit worrying why that pulley worked loose, but hopefully it just wasn't tightened correctly.

I'll have to see what the mechanic says, all I keep thinking is what if I need a replacement engine. I'm sure there is a woodruff key on the crank pulley as well as inside the engine? If the engine side key snaps on the crank then that = new engine right?

What would cause it to snap, as that crank pulley is now sat down. I did try to lift it and slot it back in but it didn't so I left it alone and didn't use force.

I just hope it's not substantial damage. That's all I keep thinking.

As long as it didn't shear the end off the crank (pretty unlikely) then I don't know why you worry, just put it back on.

What scenarios would make it sheer the crank? How would I be able to tell if that's the case?

I lost power. Lost PAS/Alternator. There was some metallic sound but I've put that down to the belt hitting the bonnet?

I've just been pricing up what I need. Since the last cambelt/aux belts/auto tensioner change, if I include the pulley for this as well. It'll cost in the region of £500 just on parts, and if I carry that out might as well do the waterpump so that's an extra £35.

I'm thinking now whether to fix the pulley and see how the belts go as they seem to be in good condition. But then again if the cars apart might as well do it all at once.

What option would you guys take?

I'd find out why the pulley came loose in the first place and go from there. Like Howard says it's probably just worked it's way loose in which case you just need to tighten it all back up again. Get a spanner on it. :)

Don't go doing it up with a spanner!

It wants properly looking at, and then tightening to the correct Torque!

I may need a new pulley. I'll find this out on Tuesday. Just looking further afield to be honest.

I wouldn't worry about swapping the cambelt etc yet... prob just get the bits to fix the aux pulleys/belts etc.

I have been looking at new cars but like Hutchy mentioned the FN2's are good value compared to the stuff I've been looking at, 1 series m sports and A3 black editions, Focus ST's etc. Kinda tempting as 7k-8k will see you possibly in a 2009 car at the top of the budget which seems good value, lowish milage and all that. For the A3 to match the miles and spec its 5 grand (!!!) more!

Need to go drive one, I do prefer the toys and the interior by far :)

So I'm looking to buy an EP3 Type-R. Budgeting £5k tops. What should I be looking for in this price range? Mileage-wise, condition, spec, etc. (I realise spec is limited any way, but should I be expecting AC in this price bracket?)

Also, thinking of putting £1,000 away for consumables/any problems that might arise. Will this be enough? How much is a good set of tyres? What are considered the best tyres to find on an EP3 Type-R? How much is a full service? I don't have the facilities to perform anything other than basic maintenance myself. No driveway or anything here.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom