Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about swapping the cambelt etc yet... prob just get the bits to fix the aux pulleys/belts etc.

I think it needs doing as it was last done 5 years ago. It's either every 60k I think/5 years, whichever comes first. I think I won't be able to budget that cost yet, so might get it sorted in the next month or so.

I'll be getting the pulley nut/key which should be around £220. New belts too so that's another load off my mind. I just thought if it's apart might as well do the rest, but it's coming a bit too much.

Did you find out what caused it to come off?

Can you get some pics up?

Matt, all I can say is I remember it wobbling on idle. It wasn't bad but a wobble was there. I went round the bend to the left and the road slightly cambered and had a little dip, I changed to third and that's when It went. Prior to that car was fine. I've driven many miles in the car and it's been fine on long journeys. I'm just happy it happened where it did and not at speed on the motorway.

To be honest I'm thinking of fixing it's issues and selling it. I haven't really enjoyed the ownership as I didn't expect it to have the niggles it does have.

For a ATR it pulls well and gives EP3's a good fight. V-MAX can be achieved easily. I'm not sure if spending £7-800 quid is TLC. Though it might need more then that to bring it up to it's former glory.

I've been looking at Scoob Wagons again, but my passion for Honda/VTEC is strong so it would be a difficult decision for me to let it go.

I honestly bought this car for the VTEC Experience, yes it puts a big smile on my face, and yes I can push it to the limit and enjoy every second of it.

Having said the above my head is saying to let it go as it may end up being a money pit. Being 13 years old and on 110k (which I don't think is much), I expect it to throw issues here and there, something which I may get sick of overtime. I understand every car has it niggles though when you have strong passion about something those niggles hit the OCD hard and you just want it to be perfect.

Bodywork on the car is decent, not a sign of rust, it does need a little tidying up.

Then again, it's a project for me which might help me pass time and learn more about the car.

I'm unsure of what to do and will find out in a few days. It may not be as serious as I'm thinking. A big relief for me if it isn't.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
So I'm looking to buy an EP3 Type-R. Budgeting £5k tops. What should I be looking for in this price range? Mileage-wise, condition, spec, etc. (I realise spec is limited any way, but should I be expecting AC in this price bracket?)

Also, thinking of putting £1,000 away for consumables/any problems that might arise. Will this be enough? How much is a good set of tyres? What are considered the best tyres to find on an EP3 Type-R? How much is a full service? I don't have the facilities to perform anything other than basic maintenance myself. No driveway or anything here.

Thanks!

Great budget. You should net a car with FSH and all the trimmings for that.
Only consider facelift with this budget. Perhaps a premier edition if you can find one. It has a red carpet. Better seats, steering wheel and privacy glass as well as some other stuff like embossed calipers.

You should be able to command a low mileage example for your budget. The 72k service is expensive so aim for one ages away from it or with it already done. AC is doable with your budget and a decent premier should have it anyway.

Tyres, you are looking at £100-£150 per corner.
I have been using bridgestone re050a and they are brilliant and really compliment the car. Avoid putting toyo, hankook, Uniroyal and cheap yokohama on ep3s like most ones I see. It will ruin the car.

£1k for consumables as a backup fund seems a good idea.

Seems like you have a good idea of what you want.

Associate
Out of interest, how much is the 72k service? I suppose it could be a good bargaining tool on a car approaching 72k. I wouldn't mind having it done myself for peace of mind.

And what does the service entail?

Last edited:
Associate
Guys, which is the best forum, particularly for FN2/classifieds? Im using Tapatalk app.

Civic Type R owners was my old haunt and still appears to be mostly EP3 owners and relevant classifieds. Just joined Civinfo which seems to be more FN2.

Any other good forums?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Out of interest, how much is the 72k service? I suppose it could be a good bargaining tool on a car approaching 72k. I wouldn't mind having it done myself for peace of mind.

And what does the service entail?

Off the top of my head...
  • oil and filter
  • air filter
  • fuel filter
  • brake fluid
  • spark plugs
  • valve clearence check

It depends where you go. Abp wanted £300+ for it but I have done most of the stuff myself.

Don
DC5 is sold! A guy from the ITR forums pinged me a message this morning, picked it up and paid cash this afternoon!

I've already got the itch for a replacement.. Needs 5 doors, £2.5k - £3k. Short list so far:
ATR
Accord Type-S (like relentless)
ST220

ideas ideas..

Associate
DC5 is sold! A guy from the ITR forums pinged me a message this morning, picked it up and paid cash this afternoon!

I've already got the itch for a replacement.. Needs 5 doors, £2.5k - £3k. Short list so far:
ATR
ST220

ideas ideas..

good to hear mate, how come you sold the DC5 then? I'm guessing not for running costs are you are considering a st220?

Soldato

ATR
ST220

ideas ideas..

Accord Type-S/ST220.

ATR is good but they're getting on, I wouldn't purchase one again unless it was absolutely mint. Too many faults.

What made you sell the DC5 anyway? Could always go for the Mazda 6 MPS?

Soldato
Free up some cash for a house purchase and some extra doors :) I need relentless to pop up now :D

I see. Well if you do plan to get an ATR head over to accordr forums.

Turns out the crank pulley is a common fault on the ATR (great!).

I really am in the mind of selling it, but it's just a love hate car. When it works, it works good. I guess this is what owning an Alfa feels like. :cool:

Permabanned
It's funny how some say paying £6k for an EP3 is bonkers ( rightly so, when thinking with the head )

If someone offered me £6k for my 54plate 69k EP3, I'd refuse it. Had my car from 48K and I know it's a good one and was not modded in any way before I had it. One previous lady owner. It's worth so much more to me.

No way would I find a quicker, more reliable car ( timing chain was classed as maintenance imo :) ), that's practical and good MPG when you want. Eventually will go down the Supercharger route when funds allow.

Soldato
Some days it makes me fall back in love with it :)

civic310313.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Explain Chris?

Basically I changed the crank pulley twice, so I looked through the history of the car and it seems it had a few changed.

Then I searched on the ATR forum and apparently the H22 crank can 'walk' which results in the crank pulley not rotating cleanly.

I then sold the car.

Soldato
Basically I changed the crank pulley twice, so I looked through the history of the car and it seems it had a few changed.

Then I searched on the ATR forum and apparently the H22 crank can 'walk' which results in the crank pulley not rotating cleanly.

I then sold the car.

Bah! Did yours wobble at all? I noticed mine wobble. I never ever got any cabin vibrations though, and I'm putting the squeal I used to get on cold mornings down to that crank pulley.

Soldato
Yes that is why I had it changed, it chewed through my belts twice.

It is possible that it's only the pulley at fault.

I'll have to see. To be honest cars been a headache for me, will fix the faults and sell it on I reckon.

EDIT: Chris did your Crank pulley come out totally? Or hang out like mine has - did your engine occur any damage?

Last edited:
Don
I've had a bit of a look about and the current local market for ATR, Accord Type-S and ST220 is frankly appauling :p

I'm in no hurry though, so I'll keep looking :) Damn the monies are burning a hole though!

Back
Top Bottom