Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Terry how much have you got to spend? You could try EP3 specific forums to find a decent example. It's difficult to find those which have been cared for, but they are out there.

Associate
£5,000 budget, and an extra £1,000 for anything that needs fixing/goes wrong/maintenance after purchasing.

I've signed up to type-r-owners.co.uk and there appears to be a grand total of ONE EP3 for sale on there! :p

Soldato
£5,000 budget, and an extra £1,000 for anything that needs fixing/goes wrong/maintenance after purchasing.

I've signed up to type-r-owners.co.uk and there appears to be a grand total of ONE EP3 for sale on there! :p

Go view some. It may end up being a waste of time but at least you'll have a rough idea of what you want. It may not even be the car for you.

Soldato

Sign up to CTRO, there's a few on there at the moment and new ones pop up every few days :)

Associate
I'm about to buy my first Honda - a 2003 Civic Type R in silver. Least preferable colour but its a friend who is selling it and I know its been serviced on time etc.

It's done around 109,000 miles but has FHSH and he's just done 6 months tax, MOT, 2 new tyres (not sure on brand yet) and it was serviced around a month ago. At first glance 2 alloys need a refurb but other than that it looks good.

Any advice from current owners?

Thanks

Soldato
Hmm. Wheel wasn't quite straight after TDi North FRSU.

CBA to drive back there and get it re-done. So was thinking of getting it re-tracked.

ABP said they'll give me a free Geo Check. Any adjustments will be £55+vat per hour. Bit expensive??

Don
Unless they are going to do another FRSU, just getting the tracking done will ruin the rest of it. Take it back to someone to get the full FRSU done, this time checking the wheel is straight before driving home :p

Soldato
Dunno if brosport/area motorsport are a lot closer to you than tdi north but they'd do it for a reasonable price I am sure, wouldn't have to mess with many settings to sort that plus they know what they're doing.

Mines been spot on since my hub issue lol.

Associate
Took an Astra VXR out today for a test drive, always been curious.

[+]
Had a Remus exhaust on which sounded great, pops and bangs
Felt urgent and had an old skool turbo thump
Surprisingly fun to drive

[-]
Torque steer, it really is as bad as they say
Steering, felt numb and unconnected
Exterior, dull and uninspiring
Interior, dull and ininspring
It's an Astra
It's a Vauxhall

Caught in the monent I really did have fun and almost convinced myself I preferred it to a Type-R. However you soon realise much of the fun is the fact that youre fighting the torque steer and numb steering, coupled with understeer and a chassis that doesnt inspire confidence.

Conclusion, I can see the attraction but for those who have experienced better handling perfornance cars will not be convinced by the sole party trick of a 2.0 Turbo strapped to an undeserving chassis.

Last edited:
Don
Today's job was to sort out the headlights :)

From this:

2gwids0.jpg

To this:

20sj42u.jpg

A little work left to do, but much better. I've no idea what Honda made their lights of in this decade, but they are practically made of cheese!

Back
Top Bottom