Type R and VTEC owners

^What are the problems you've had with it? How long have you had it? (save me trawling your posts)

Had it for 3 months.

Basically had various leaks which were all fixed, major problem was crank pulley coming out. Replaced with a genuine new one. Now crank pulley seal seems to have gone as well as a weird metallic noise coming from front right of engine. I can only say it's the release bearing gone wonders or something as it isn't noisy as it was, it's mega grinding loud now.

unlucky dude; it could be worse, it could need a rebuild! :eek:

Not sure Muffin. Something has definatley given way and it does seem to be the crankshaft seal on the pulley side. It must have got disturbed when the crank pulley was fitted.

Will update later as to what the mechanic says but It'll be going. Had fun with it but I think the novelty has worn off now. I'm ok though as I did keep the other car for back-up. Haven't driven it in 3 months and it started up first time.

Dat flat-four burble. :cool:

EDIT: I payed just a little over £2k for it. It had around 107k miles on it.

EDIT2: Took it to my local mechanic and he says crankshaft seal has gone as well as the gearbox side seal on the crankshaft. That's why gearbox is more noisy and it's leaking oil.

Last edited:
Done a few small jobs to the FN2 over the past couple of days :)

Replaced the standard rubber induction hoses with red Samco items - the standard ones looked pretty mangy and had started to go brown, and the one had a slight split near the throttle body that could have been a problem down the line. The Samco hoses I have are the re-inforced wall type - makes them a pig to fit, but the first release Samco's for this car caused an issue as the top induction hose would collapse slightly due to the suction effect at high RPM, and would actually lose power due to the restriction this would cause. These ones are stiffer and should not suffer from the same issue.

kDUjki4.jpg.png

Fitted black perspex battery top cover and Skunk2 battery tie bar (pointless bling I know but looks nice :o)

hkXhsuQ.jpg.png

Had the stereo changed to an Alpine double din ipod/bluetooth/DVD unit (IVE-535BT). Not quite happy with the fitment and it was a pig of a job to dismantle so much of the car, but with some tweaks to the facia panel it will fit better, but overall I'm very happy with it...looks better than the OEM unit, easy to use, better functionality, keeps the steering wheel remote functions and dash display, and sounds great.

6gOc1rk.jpg.png

Lastly, bought an unused black towhook off a mate, gonna need it for the RR day and having this to use means I dont have to dig around in the boot and get the jack and everything out to get to the standard front tow hook...

j6o9LGt.jpg.png

Last edited:
Going out for a test drive in an 06 plate EP3 tomorrow, really can't wait to try it out an if all goes well in the next week I shall buy it!

Sorry to hear Vita.

I'm gutted mate. I just don't feel like spending anymore on it. Truth be told I must have been blind and let my heart purchase it over my head. Never the less I'll let it go.

Been looking at a variety of cars, mainly Subaru/BMW. Going to try get time to view a bugeye wagon. Also seen a 325i/330i but in touring form they're a little more then my budget. It would be a great cruiser but then the 4wd it lacks kind of makes me thinking if I'd be happy with one.

I'm gutted mate. I just don't feel like spending anymore on it. Truth be told I must have been blind and let my heart purchase it over my head. Never the less I'll let it go.

Been looking at a variety of cars, mainly Subaru/BMW. Going to try get time to view a bugeye wagon. Also seen a 325i/330i but in touring form they're a little more then my budget. It would be a great cruiser but then the 4wd it lacks kind of makes me thinking if I'd be happy with one.

Why do you need 4wd?

Going out for a test drive in an 06 plate EP3 tomorrow, really can't wait to try it out an if all goes well in the next week I shall buy it!

If it's your first time in a Honda, make sure you take it into VTEC 5800rpm > 8200.

It might seem like the engine would blow up but that's how it works :)

Will update later as to what the mechanic says but It'll be going. Had fun with it but I think the novelty has worn off now. I'm ok though as I did keep the other car for back-up. Haven't driven it in 3 months and it started up first time.

Dat flat-four burble. :cool:

You can get almost exactly the same noise from a Civic VTi with a burnt out exhaust valve.

Vita, have you ever got to the bottom of what happened to you car in a previous life? All those problems seen to be linked one way or another. Hope you have better luck with the next car, I bet this is exactly what the forum would have wanted to see my M3 do!

You can get the FN2 Type R for £7k right?

Sorry should have said, don't really want a type R unless the running cost are't much more than a "normal" civic. Insurance on a 2005 type R was just over £400 so not really a problem if the running isn't bad.

£6k would be my maximum and not knowing enough about cars I think I'd like to get from a dealer but any advice is welcome.

i get 33mpg off my FN2 Type-R... though i think most on here get a bit less? £65 tank of petrol does around 330 miles

tyres are over £100 a corner for the standard alloy (not 19" Rage) - depends on brand obviously

Major service through Honda appears to be £380 - just enquired for this for mine.

I'd imagine the 1.8 would easily get 40mpg but dont know as to servicing/tyres

Back
Top Bottom