Type R and VTEC owners

My car went in today for the rusty roof fix, its not actually rusty but very ckearky starting to ripple the lacquer. Can't fault brindley honda in Wolverhampton thus far, no issues at all with gettibg it sorted under warranty, took it in for the service manager to look at, get some photos taken and it was approved by honda the next day. Admittedly my mate does work at the garage and has put a word in for me...but nice to use these connections when you have them!

Got a free courtesy car too, 13 plate nissan note....bizarre driving position and not up to much really but as cheap transport it'd do the job I suppose. This one is specced up too, parking sensors, climate, built in sat nav, horrible part leather. Its also dark grey with two tone polished/black alloys, and very dark tints on the back windows, which look remarkably out of place on what looks like your nans car! Pics to follow when my work colleagues have stopped laughing at it :D

AD08s are the best tyre ever. So much win! Feedback, grip levels, overall feel and handling is just superb.

I've yet to test them in the wet. But they allow you to drive like an absolute hooligan in the dry. They make the Potenza re050a look rubbish!

Mine has been approved as well for rusty roof strip but they're having a mare trying to get me booked into the actual body shop. I don't mind though, not like I'm in a rush. Car had a dodgy battery and also the earth cable was not making good connection as it had been relocated for the past year and I guess the original mount point got a little rusty etc. Oh, and apparently it wasn't connected with a proper earth bolt, not sure how they are different to a normal bolt.

I knew you'd say that lol.

Of course, what else did you expect? :D

I've actually seen a lot more DC2's with less miles than DC5's... Not sure how that one works out. Also seen a rather tasty Ek9 with about 40k on it. I cannot afford an FD2, well I can but as I'm saving for a house it would be selfish so I'm thinking of going 'good Type R' older.
Not totally against a DC2 either, just not UK one ;)

Shows how much hardcore DC2 owners are and that most DC5 owners just pootle around everyday :p

An EK9 would be nice, but to get a decent one you'll be paying massive scene tax on the price!!

At this age there's more to a car than milage is my point, you can get the car checked by a reputable garage if you're really bothered. I'm sure he'd entertain if he's trying to shift a 150k car

Of course, condition > mileage, but we arn't talking just 80-100k, that car has over 150k!!!! It's also a premium price and whilst the condition looks to be good, the owner seems to have taken care of it and isn't a knuckledragger, it's still a 150k car with too high a price tag in my book!

AD08s are the best tyre ever. So much win! Feedback, grip levels, overall feel and handling is just superb.

I've yet to test them in the wet. But they allow you to drive like an absolute hooligan in the dry. They make the Potenza re050a look rubbish!

I'm currently waiting on the AD08R as my RS2 fronts have around 2.5mm left (rears 5mm). But as their arrival date is at least August time at the earliest and with an unknown cost, I'm kind of leaning towards just picking up another set of RS2 for the front and saving the money!

Last edited:
Aren't RS2 long discontinued and not really on par with an AD08 though? You could well be waiting a long time for the AD08R to arrive, that's if it comes at all. I would just get AD08.

I've yet to test them in the wet.

they will surprise you. just avoid standing water.

mine have been superb in the wet, very progressive and controllable. certainly no worse than a standard high performance road tyre which is what most reviews of the AD08 falsely claim

as for AD08R, i would imagine that the difference between the two compounds is very slim on road use.

unless you are going all out on the track, i cant see there being much difference to the average driver.

Aren't RS2 long discontinued and not really on par with an AD08 though? You could well be waiting a long time for the AD08R to arrive, that's if it comes at all. I would just get AD08.

Still available on Mytyes.

Easily on par with them going by a friend who has run them both on the Wifeys EK9. AD08 have a little more grip, but the RS2 have a better sidewall stiffness and give a better turn in.

As I've already got loads of tread on my RS2 rears and not much on the front, it makes sense to keep things matching, retain the handling I know and love with these boots and also saving money in the process.

But on the other hand I might change my mind in a month, order some AD08R if they become available and then flog on the rear RS2 :D

Looks naughty...

2ngfyia.jpg

Catted manifold? Nice... I eventually want a manifold for my car, needs to be Catted and pass an mot though, can't be doing with the hassle of trying to find a 'friendly' garage. The piper offering seems the only option but its a 4-1 configuration and most seem to rate 4-2-1 for the k20. That and the sports cat section is 500 quid or so! Seems expensive given the cost of a sports cat for similar cars.

Catted manifold? Nice... I eventually want a manifold for my car, needs to be Catted and pass an mot though, can't be doing with the hassle of trying to find a 'friendly' garage. The piper offering seems the only option but its a 4-1 configuration and most seem to rate 4-2-1 for the k20. That and the sports cat section is 500 quid or so! Seems expensive given the cost of a sports cat for similar cars.

It's not quite as simple as 4-1 vs 4-2-1, manifold and exhaust design is pretty complicated and has to be essentially tun to the engine. You cannot bolt on X and Y, then expect Z.

Have a really good look around the web, especially for decent group header tests if you can.

Also remember it isn't all about larger ID" collector being better, for example my DC2 mani is a 4-2-1 comptech with stepped primaries. Works like a dream and even though it has a smaller ID" collector vs some of the other fancy 4-1 manis, it gave better figures in the 'Great Header Test' conducted by one of the US Honda forums.

It's not quite as simple as 4-1 vs 4-2-1, manifold and exhaust design is pretty complicated and has to be essentially tun to the engine. You cannot bolt on X and Y, then expect Z.

Have a really good look around the web, especially for decent group header tests if you can.

Also remember it isn't all about larger ID" collector being better, for example my DC2 mani is a 4-2-1 comptech with stepped primaries. Works like a dream and even though it has a smaller ID" collector vs some of the other fancy 4-1 manis, it gave better figures in the 'Great Header Test' conducted by one of the US Honda forums.

Very well put! No one has a clue how this manifold will perform as its the only one in existence at the moment. TDI are hopeful it should do very well and potentially out perform many others on the market because of its design. The only reason why this design hansnt been done before for the FN2 is because it simply doesnt fit. 4th time lucky this will fit this time round. If it does then great, if not then I give up lol!

I know all that but when you look at what most of the exhaust designers have come up with then you start to wonder....

Toda
Mugen
TDI north/XO
CPL racing
Tegiwa (toda copy perhaps)
Solid fabrications
J's

All went for a 4-2-1 configuration, as do most ep3 manifolds...all companies coming to similar conclusions tend to suggest the best design compromise to me. Now the piper is the only 4-1 for the fn2, I think this is largely for reasons of space (so that it can offer an separate section for a decat pipe or sports cat, where as all the above are all decat by design with no sports cat). To me it just suggests the piper design is compromised to allow it to incorporate a cat section, and slightly less optimised because of this. If 4-1 was so great why hasn't everyone else done it, given it allows potentially a simpler design that is also more easily made tp allows a cat section at the end without compromising runner length?

The martelius posted above is interesting though, unique for the fn2 in offering 4-2-1 and built in sports cat. Lets hope it fits!

Back
Top Bottom