Type R and VTEC owners

Took out a s2000 on a test drive at the weekend, and was very impressed by it, and have now decided on one over a integra, any owners on here can give a indication on the running costs? tyres on standard rims for a 2004 model, servicing costs? Any things that are common to break and expensive?

They are cheap to run apart from insurance, for the type of car that they are at least. Fundamentally very reliable indeed, a proper jdm honda in build quality terms. Brakes and servicing are cheap, generally costs for most consumables seem similar to a civic type r anyway.

Fuel economy - low to mid 20s average. Engines take stick and love being driven hard but keep the oil topped up.

Potentially it will have seized adjusters for the suspension which can make it impossible to correct the geometry. With wonky geo it will feel very twitchy indeed, for a car slightly reknowned for being a handful on the limit this is important. Budget a few hundred to get it sorted or get it checked on a car before you buy it.

Pro tip. Dont crash it.

How did it feel at first?

I'm worried that I might have a wee bit of air in the system or if it's just the fresh discs/pads and them being soft when cold

Can't remember. Drove down to Richie for my FRSU the day after the 3month overhaul was done.

But I'm sure the brakes felt good. Made sure I bedded them in on a nice stretch of road though. Dont remember the process, might have been on their site.

Not had to touch the fluid since we bled it all, always been firm.

All sounds good on the s2000 front then, i would like a 2004 car as they are facelift, but is their any downside going for a older car? the car i drove was a blue but was a bit ropey looks wise, it had bubbling on both the rear arches and the paint depending where you stood looked different shades of blue on the bumpers and some panels, it was a 2002 car for £6495 with 73k miles. Also all the ones available in my price range of £8k all seem to be 70+k milage, is that a problem or milage of no real concern as long as full service history?

8k on an s2000 should see you in a nice 2004+ example with 50-80k on the clock.

buy on condition not on mileage/age

Those Enkei wheels look pretty nice fitted TaKeN :)

All sounds good on the s2000 front then, i would like a 2004 car as they are facelift, but is their any downside going for a older car? the car i drove was a blue but was a bit ropey looks wise, it had bubbling on both the rear arches and the paint depending where you stood looked different shades of blue on the bumpers and some panels, it was a 2002 car for £6495 with 73k miles. Also all the ones available in my price range of £8k all seem to be 70+k milage, is that a problem or milage of no real concern as long as full service history?

You are buying at the wrong time of year for a convertible sadly....

I bought a 79k mile 2004 car that was pretty decent for £5640 before Christmas last year...now that was mega cheap but the guy wanted rid before the year was out. Prices vary, lots of people asking strong money for early cars. Just take your time and with £8k you should be able to get a nice 2004 model.

Potentially picking up a DC5 gearbox on Saturday.

Bit more expensive than having the LSD I already have fitted but the different gearing will be nice and having a whole box as a spare will make it easier to revert back to stock when I sell.

Box is £700 all in and I should recoup £300 for the LSD I have.

Potentially picking up a DC5 gearbox on Saturday.

Bit more expensive than having the LSD I already have fitted but the different gearing will be nice and having a whole box as a spare will make it easier to revert back to stock when I sell.

Box is £700 all in and I should recoup £300 for the LSD I have.

Dc5 presumably has a lower final drive and/or different ratios I'm guessing?

Final drives are identical. 4/5/6 are different.
The DC5 box has the LSD fitted already.

I have a honda JDM LSD so identical to the one already in the dc5 box.

It is worth £300 for the LSD so I will get that up for sale this week and fitting a whole spare gearbox means I avoid the £200-£400 cost to fit the LSD into a box I will not be able to have taken off again and replace with OEM.when it comes to sell.

Pretty sure I will get good money for the DC5 box when it comes to selling the car too.

Just put down a deposit so its happening.

as i say, just the gearing, the FD2 box is the ultimate as it comes with a more aggressive final drive, better ratios and the diff.

lsd is the one from a DC5 box but it is used in every k20 box that uses an LSD.

works out more expensive to buy the second box and have it fitted rather than just having the part fitted to my current box but this does mean i can remove the dc5 box and replace it with stock to sell my car.

the LSD will be going up for sale this week to recoup some of the costs.

this explains what box has what better than i can.

K-SeriesTransmissionTablev3-28-08re.jpg

Back
Top Bottom