Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
Depends what you want from the car. More power or just noise?

Just an induction kit wont really add any noticeable power gains only noise, you may get an extra couple of HP but nothing great.

Monies also decides on the path you take :)

Soldato
Depends what you want from the car. More power or just noise?

Just an induction kit wont really add any noticeable power gains only noise, you may get an extra couple of HP but nothing great.

Monies also decides on the path you take :)

I'm not really after any more power just a nice noise if possible

Associate
If it's only noise you're after then do the Hondata mod to the air box and get yourself a hole saw and cut some holes in the bottom half of the standard air box. No point spending £200 on CAI just for a nicer noise. I did this to mine and it creates a nice induction noise and doesn't cost a penny ;)

Man of Honour
OP
No rust, bubbling or marks apart from the front right. Looking again at it, I think the bumper needs taking off and putting back on properly, maybe with some new clips?

Mileage is 87,000 km and 35,000 miles on top so about 90,000 in total. Just had new clutch, full rebush and recent service and cam belt.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
N1 = Silly.

Loud for the sake of being loud, will be a pain to drive around in everyday and won't offer much at all over a standard system apart from noise and expense.
I wouldn't say so, it will probably just be the muffler and not the bpipe.
I test drove an 05 ep3 with an AEM and an n1. I didn't think it was mega loud.

Not dead set on it yet, can't find a single other exhaust I like the look of that doesn't look like it should be on a supra/impreza or cost thousands.

Would there be any power gain at all from adding the spoon back box?

Ok thanks for that. Is it worth doing in your opinon? Or are there other things that are more worthwhile? Only had the car two weeks so just starting out :)

An induction kit will add a bit of horsepower, you will notice a bit of improvement in throttle response.

GruppeM (or the Tegiwa copy) is regarded as the best. Then you got things like the itg kit which adds performance but is quiet. My car came with a K&N typhoon which gives a nice sound but is regarded as being a bit pap. I am going for a Tegiwa myself when funds permit.

So I've got more pics of the DC2.

Thoughts please?

http://www2.dropbox.com/gallery/42845892/1/DC2?h=77d5be

Looks ok, assuming you are able to put the niggles right yourself?

Man of Honour
OP
rjkoneill - get a DC Sports system. You will get fed up of a Spoon N1 early mornings and on the overrun.

Trust me, I had one with a B Pipe, at first it was great but the novelty wears off.

Soldato
I wouldn't say so, it will probably just be the muffler and not the bpipe.
I test drove an 05 ep3 with an AEM and an n1. I didn't think it was mega loud.

Not dead set on it yet, can't find a single other exhaust I like the look of that doesn't look like it should be on a supra/impreza or cost thousands.

Would there be any power gain at all from adding the spoon back box?

No power gain at all, you'll most likely get a placebo affect though as louder = faster :D

Read up on exhaust theory, manifold design is much more important, especially the primaries.

Could always get a custom system or just try something cheaper or 2nd hand?

Man of Honour
OP
Right, first of all it looks tidy. Tidy as in not bent or in need of a lot. It could never be described as the best JDM DC2 you will ever see but it is not a dog either.

Went straight to the rear arches. Both reasonably rott free. Little bit just starting maybe.

O/S

IMAG0182.jpg

N/S

IMAG0183.jpg

Didn't seem to have bumper droop, though I'm a bit loathed to say I can spot it on people's pics anyway.

N/S front bumper and wing. It does look like it's had a bit of an attempt to fix it. Mike said he hasn't had the bumper off and I believe him because he's not washed it since he's had it and he said it arrived dirty:

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

Seal from the bumper to the headlight isn't brilliant so it will need sorting. Headlight is intact though.

N/S front bumper:

IMAG0185.jpg

N/S splitter scuff:

IMAG0181.jpg

Scuff on o/s rear card:

IMAG0186.jpg

N/S wing mirror scuff, might polish out:

IMAG0184.jpg

Both front tyres are on the wear markers, rears are about 5-6mm left:

IMAG0195.jpg

Engine looks tidy enough:

IMAG0193.jpg

Throttle cable and inlet mani:
IMAG0192.jpg

Exhaust mani looks OK, old but OK:
IMAG0191.jpg

Missing clip on the boot trim, notice rust mark under the rubber, not bulbing yet:
IMAG0196.jpg

Spare wheel area rust free:
IMAG0187.jpg

O/S boot:
IMAG0188.jpg

N/S boot with rust spot:
IMAG0189.jpg

Moved the sticker to check it wasn't hiding anything:
IMAG0190.jpg

Didn't lift back seats as Mike had a baby seat in the back. :rolleyes:

Video of it running and the noise at 2k which might just because of the mounts:

All in all it seemed OK, sounded better when it warmed up a bit but no smoke on start or revs.

I didn't drive it because I thought that was a step too far since I'm not personally buying it. Mike promised me it was tight and drove without fault. Gear change seemed very tight as it should stationary but with the engine running etc. No issues going through the box anyway.

It has a Toad beep when you do anything type alarm/immobiliser, you've got to start the car within 60 seconds of unlocking it thing. The sort when you stall it you've to fumble about for the alarm fob to be able to start it back up again. It had an old proximity reader for an old fob immobiliser. It has two switches for fog lights, one on the dash, one on the centre console between the handbrake and arm rest. Arm rest leather was a different colour to the seats but the seats were in good nick and fit me in them OK. No noticeable wear on the bolsters.

Noticed that it didn't have a fog light on the back despite the two switches and it wasn't one fitted in the clusters. All the other lights worked.

Started first time. Happy days.

Mike said if you were going to turn up and offer him £2.5k he's tell you to do one. It's £3k or nothing sort of thing.

Subject to test drive I'd say it's worth the money, spend £500 on some paint and the rust spot repair, take it to the Ring and sell for £4-4.5 if that is what they are worth when you get back.

Soldato
Calling fellow Honda people!

I am looking to get some black chromed Honda emblems for the front and back of my S2000. Need to remove the front one for respray work and it's a 1-way affair (Stupid 1 way retention clips need cutting off :()

I can get them from the US but the shipping is a ridiculous $65. Ideally I want to source in the UK instead of shipping to US friends and shipping onwards again or stomaching $65 for delivery ontop of $65 for the badges themselves.

As badass as black chrome is I cannot justify £80 on it all in.

I am open to DIY offerings also, I have read some stuff about pre tinted clearcoats and self mix clear + black but I do not have access to decent spraying equipment.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Caporegime
looks like a 3k DC2, not perfect but not a dog either :D

how long ago was the rebush?

I'd want him to drive form cold and use vtec all the way to the limited and then let it back off to check the ring and the valve seals.

Back
Top Bottom