Type R and VTEC owners

New Civic Type-R isn't due till 2015 so plenty of time for Honda to change the spec. Car for car the Jap spec cars usual have a few extra bhp and a few other goodies like LSD etc.. because the new Type-R will have what's rumoured to be over 300bhp they're going to need fancy suspension and LSD to cope, bit like the Focus RS I suppose.

For the person asking about the Jap EP3 over the UK spec they had an extra 20bhp, LSD and could be had in Championship White, something they never offered over here.

Absolutely love your car, great work. I now want my Teg boosted :D

But take a look at getting that wheel re-trimmed. Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels did mine and it's soo much better than the faded, flaking and dirty old thing (like yours looks).

Before/After comparison of mine below:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24236584&highlight=royal+steering#post24236584

@Vita, you clearly don't need to go to specsavers :D:D:D

Cheers mate, yeah it is something I wanted to get done eventually so will certainly check him out. Thanks :)

@Vita, you clearly don't need to go to specsavers :D:D:D

No, on a level, the UKDM Teg isn't that bad looking from the front. It's those idiots that decide to put BMW HALO's in the headlights that ends up ruining the look. The JDM teg does hold the Japanese look really well, and has aged quite well too. However, the front looks a tad too wide for the rear, I can't explain it.

I also like the front of the ATR UK, but the rear is just ugly. If they mated the rear of the Euro-R to the front of the UK and made the headlights a little thinner, it would look spot on.

I like the look of the new CTR. I'm just torn between the old Honda N/A philosophy of power/balance for the perfect handling car. I'm not keen of forced induction in a hot hatch, however if that's the way the market is going then unfortunately for the Honda enthusiast that means to just bare it.

Having said that it won't be all bad, considering all the k20 FI's out there/b18c FI's too. It's just there is no audible engine note so nice for me to hear, then the Honda screaming away at 8krpm on a cold winters morning in the B-Roads. It really does make the hairs on my neck stand up.

I also have a thing for Subarus on first start in the morning, sounds so nice with the burble.

Time to go look at the classifieds. :p

Cheers mate, yeah Will's doing well for himself. His knowledge on all things Honda is outstanding. Currently in the middle of building his own crazy spec EK9.

Yeah, the amount of stuff he knows is mental.

He's going the 1.8 route now isn't he? His EK9 B16A turbo was stupidly quick! (425bhp?) Made my stock EK9 look tame that's for sure.

No, on a level, the UKDM Teg isn't that bad looking from the front. It's those idiots that decide to put BMW HALO's in the headlights that ends up ruining the look. The JDM teg does hold the Japanese look really well, and has aged quite well too. However, the front looks a tad too wide for the rear, I can't explain it.

I also like the front of the ATR UK, but the rear is just ugly. If they mated the rear of the Euro-R to the front of the UK and made the headlights a little thinner, it would look spot on.

I like the look of the new CTR. I'm just torn between the old Honda N/A philosophy of power/balance for the perfect handling car. I'm not keen of forced induction in a hot hatch, however if that's the way the market is going then unfortunately for the Honda enthusiast that means to just bare it.

Having said that it won't be all bad, considering all the k20 FI's out there/b18c FI's too. It's just there is no audible engine note so nice for me to hear, then the Honda screaming away at 8krpm on a cold winters morning in the B-Roads. It really does make the hairs on my neck stand up.

I also have a thing for Subarus on first start in the morning, sounds so nice with the burble.

Time to go look at the classifieds. :p

Proper VTEC blood in you boy :cool:

I do love the JDM look, but I just prefer the UK look that bit more for some reason. Horses for courses. Since yesterday I've started taking a B-road home from work as it's quicker. Whislt the weather is less than ideal, I can hit VTEC during a few straight points which just wakens the car up. After a run with some VTEC action the Teg just seems to feel happy, more alive and supple like a girl who's in the afterglow of a mindblowing orgasm :D

Beat a Subaru off the lights twice earlier, despite it being icy. VTEC power :D

I had an RS3 nail me off the lights earlier when it was snowing on the way to work at 0630. I gave up as soon as he came alongside :(:D

UK/Acura USDM share the same front end no? To me I prefer the UKDM Teg front, looks all shark type.

Sure do. The yanks go mad for JDM front end conversions.

Having owned three DC2's 2 UK spec and 1 96 Spec I felt the 96 Spec was the better car, but that was purely down to the fact that it had a easier life than the other two cars which had been thrashed a bit more.

Having said that, I think UK cars as just as good as the Jap spec, they have better brakes than the 96 spec and if you change the manifold to something that doesn't weigh a tonne nearly identical performance power wise.

98 RX is and always will be the daddy though, Really really want a Phoenix yellow teg with yellow recaros.

EP3's tickle my fancy as well as the old VTI's. Ek9's are still to expensive for me for what is quite an old car now.

Going to run my Mondeo into the ground before I buy another VTEC.

Aye, massive premium on the EK9.

Just get a DC2 for peanuts with a solid engine and enjoy. Don't buy Muffin's :eek::p:D

I really fancy just walking out of work today and going for a blast across the Highlands!

Aye, massive premium on the EK9.

Just get a DC2 for peanuts with a solid engine and enjoy. Don't buy Muffin's :eek::p:D

I really fancy just walking out of work today and going for a blast across the Highlands!

The pinnacle for me was the ATR. That car was spot on for my driving, but for what was a battered car already (for which I paid far too much, drove great with the mods so thought it was worth it), I pushed it over the edge. The economy let it down, and it did drain my wallet so I decided it was best to let it go instead of fixing and keeping it as I knew long term with the mileage I was doing it wouldn't be a great mileage muncher, or a nice place to be for a long amount of time for driving.

I have yet to sit in any car seats that are perfect for my physique then those of which are in the ATR. I absolutely love them.

With regards to the DC2, I have been browsing through the bay/AT/PH. Prices seem to have jumped for the UK Dc2 while JDM sheds are still around the £3kish mark. Anything below £3k is high mileage which I don't want to get.

My only problem with owning a VTEC Honda (ATR) was that I was too passionate about it. It was a car I was extremely OCD about and had to have everything perfect but my head didn't let me spend the ££££ as I knew deep down I'd always do it with regret. The amount of gear changing/thrashing got tire some after a while and I was actually in two minds if it was the right car for me. However, on a Sunday after I had spent £800, fixed the car and it's faults decided it was time to really see what the car was made of. Crisp morning, B roads, smile from ear to ear, that's when my heart really felt that it was exactly what I wanted from driving. The pleasure of hearing a H22 hit vtec hnnnnnnnggg.

Then the some main shaft bearing went in the gearbox on my travels and I called it a day. It did have a noisy release bearing which I had concerns about but asked others and they said typical honda.

On the lookout for an EP3 but some just seem right dogs and I'm not wanting to pay ££££ for a cheap vtec fix. Decided I'll look at VTI's/CRX's for a cheap thrill just to tickle that itch I have again.

Driving a diesel mondeo just isn't the same.:(

EDIT: With Muffins DC2. I really have respect for him to spend £££££ getting the engine changed twice. IF it was me in his shoes, I would have got rid of that car along time ago. I think I just prefer a straight car out of the box now then to faff around with it.

Last edited:
If you want a straight car out of the box then a CRX won't fit the book, not unless you pay a lot of money for one, they are old now so you will be welding it up every year as they like to rot.

I know that. This is why I'm still in two minds with what I actually want. It's difficult making car choices, and I find it even more difficult when it's a Honda.

Get an MB6 VTI if you want some cheap VTEC thrills, they are cheap to buy, reliable and should anything go wrong they are easy to work on.

I never liked the styling but it has been on my shortlist. Also has a LSD, and you can change parts from the teg which is a bonus should I ever want to keep it for longer. I also liked the VTI-S with PB paint and cosmetic extras. Will keep a look out for one. Should be able to pick up a VTI for under a £1k.

Always the MB6 VTi as a bit of a strange car, screaming VTEC and LSD as a plus point, grandad looks and annoyingly long gear ratios take away some of the appeal though. Its like its not quite sure what it wants to be...

Suppose these days getting an LSD box out of an Integra with lower gear ratios would not be that expensive a job in the scheme of things..? LSD boxes must be available for what, couple of hundred quid?

I guess its a hefty chunk of cash compared to the overall value of these cars...but cheap overall, not like spending a grand on getting a diff put into an FN2 or EP3 etc...

Back
Top Bottom