Type R and VTEC owners

Tough call that, depends what you want I suppose. Think if your after as pure a driving experience you can get though the S2K would probably be the best one.

that being said, i'm considering saving longer and getting a DC5 instead of a ep3, as I prefer the look/style of them.

Front wheels only doing the turning is pure.

Trying to make them pull the car is a contamination to this purity.

*Whatever pure means

I've been looking for a replacement for my VTI the last few months - and no 6 cylinder BMW petrols have come up yet at dealers, and I couldn't make my mind up on alternatives (C-class for instance - so decided to punt 50 quid and see how bad the damage for my 174k mile VTI would be ...

to my surprise - all it needed was a washer blade, and some engine cleaner to get it through emissions - all in 65 inc the MOT

still will replace it in the next few months but thats bargain motoring for you :) - been such a good car - even though bits of trim are falling off and it looks tatty from the outside -its very reliable, and cheap to run

So, the guy didn't like my EP3. Picked up on a few minor niggles.

I liked his S2000 though and he is giving me first refusal of it.

Just need to find a buyer for mine.

I was once sceptical of people saying how important geo was.

With my MX5 its really made it clear though, when I bought it tramlined horribly in the motorway, and didnt feel stable at all.

It had been set up at 'wheels in motion' at the same time the lowering springs went on, but I checked the invoices and this work was done 18 months prior to me buying the car and hadn't been checked since, so I thought it would be worth looking at.

I then had powerstation look at it on one of the Beissbarth alignment rigs, they discovered it was really a bit wonky after that length of time, and they put it back to the settings it was meant to have according to the WIM printout. After this it was soooo much better, more planted, better turn in, more stable and just better to drive all round.

I had planned the same for my S2000 as everyone says how important it is for them to handle properly, sadly a bit of over exuberance, cold wet road and a road sign meant I never got round to it..!

It lasted 4 years on bridgestones before I took it to WIM. Just was little more difficult to know break away and wasn't quite as planted. It also had weird quirks when a rear wheel hit a bump. 3 yrs ago I got it aligned, polybushed, braced and fitted Konis and shortly after changed approach with tyres.

Niw you have to be a moron to crash it. Mainly due to tyres being do much better in the cold and wet. The alignment had really made the difference on the limit as well as improving feedback.

Key bit really is the driver though, understanding the normal RWD driving style, the rear steer and keeping it smooth. I'd say it tool be about 3 months before I really understood it as they are still are car you have to drive on experience rather than immediate feedback. Not like a DC2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom