Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
I'm gonna be honest Chris, I don't ever lower my cars. My ep3 is a superb stock ride height.
I don't want the car any lower than it already is.

Why are lowering springs advised?

It's the progressive springs that make the difference. At normal compression the spring rates are similar to stock so you won't notice a difference in ride quality, in fact some people say the car rides better on them. But as you load the spring up the spring rate increases so there's less overall body roll in corners meaning you can plant the car better. This is also why people combine it with the JDM rear anti roll bar as the back end in stock form can be quite snappy if you're not careful.

Soldato
Is that a quote from abp? Or just what you have priced up on parts? What are you looking at?

The way I read Chris's posts, the cost of the frsu with the hardware and fitting was going to be significantly less than the cost of the catback system I was considering.

It was from their chaps posts on one of the Civic forums, forget which one but likely civictype-r.co.uk, the ABP chap listed all the prices and it pretty much totalled to that, the posts were probably a few months old though.

I think if I get my mechanic (who's owned his EP3 for 6 years and tracks it, it's modified etc) does all the work for me then I let ABP align it/FRSU, that should save me some cash and do the business :)

Associate
It's the progressive springs that make the difference. At normal compression the spring rates are similar to stock so you won't notice a difference in ride quality, in fact some people say the car rides better on them. But as you load the spring up the spring rate increases so there's less overall body roll in corners meaning you can plant the car better. This is also why people combine it with the JDM rear anti roll bar as the back end in stock form can be quite snappy if you're not careful.

Chris, do you have this setup. Interested in the ABP springs, FRSU & JDM Anti roll bar?

Soldato
Went to Cheddar George today and the surrounding roads, the engines really starting to free up now and the suspensions settling in. The car is just awesome, the engine is peach and the gearbox sublime, the steering could do with a wee bit of love but I think I know what that is. But the entire time it's like :D:eek::D:eek::D:eek:

With the weather the way it is it's safe to order some proper rubber, Toyo T1-R's are fine for shopping trolleys but just not up to the job on sprinted drives. AD08's here I come :cool: (watch it snow :rolleyes:)

Great to see your happy face come out!!!! Worth it in the end!

Mine needs a drive after being left on land with me offshore currently. Plenty of great roads up here and only a short hop West of Aberdeen.

Watch out with the AD08 in the wet, not supposed to be very good, especially when the tread gets worn down. But dry will be :D:D:D

I might try them or the Federal RS-R when my RS2 are worn down. Love the RS2, wish they still had them!

Associate
Hi guys just got my 09 civic type r, love it but as the car still has 4 months or so Honda warranty I would like to have the little things fixed.. 1st is the car drives fine but the clutch from what I can tell makes a winding sound as you pull off, only just noticeable but still is this common? 2nd the passenger wing mirror doesn't auto close, will this be covered by the warranty as I'm the 2nd owner.. Thanks again :)

Man of Honour
OP
Hi guys just got my 09 civic type r, love it but as the car still has 4 months or so Honda warranty I would like to have the little things fixed.. 1st is the car drives fine but the clutch from what I can tell makes a winding sound as you pull off, only just noticeable but still is this common? 2nd the passenger wing mirror doesn't auto close, will this be covered by the warranty as I'm the 2nd owner.. Thanks again :)

Just take it to your local dealer and see what they offer?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Right then, nipped over to ABP this morning and had a big chat with one of their team.
They have said that a fast road setup for my car will come in at £155inc vat

If I want eibach springs, camber adjusters fitted and configured then the normal price for this would be £585inc vat.

They have advised me that getting the frsu done soon will get the car how it needs to be, then advised if I want to take things further that I can get discount on the springs and amber adjusters if the frsu is already done.

How's that sound?

Was speaking to a chap with a very nice ep3 who was waiting for some work to be done and he was suggesting that it makes all the difference getting the springs done. So I think I may go for that.

They had a car with a dc sports system which I really liked, I enquired about the cat back version and their fitted price for that system is just shy of £500 fitted so that is on my to do list now too. I wanted a system with a subtle tail pipe and not something that looks like it should be on a supra and this seems to fit the bill nicely. Glad I have heard one.

So that's what I got, what are your thoughts? Prices looking about spot on?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Look into the JDM rear ARB too, they used to be £80 new from Honda. Might as well get this done at the same time as it adds a huge improvement apparently. That kind of money is standard though and everyone who had it done said it was worth it. The next step from that in handling is an LSD which is £600 before fitting!

I got loads of compliments with how my CTR sounded with the Hondata airbox mod and Magnex back box. It was subtle until you hit space time continuum tearing VTEC and then it just screamed without droning or being raspy. It was just about right.

Don
Look into the JDM rear ARB too, they used to be £80 new from Honda. Might as well get this done at the same time as it adds a huge improvement apparently. That kind of money is standard though and everyone who had it done said it was worth it. The next step from that in handling is an LSD which is £600 before fitting!

I got loads of compliments with how my CTR sounded with the Hondata airbox mod and Magnex back box. It was subtle until you hit space time continuum tearing VTEC and then it just screamed without droning or being raspy. It was just about right.

For me the Hondata mod didn't go far enough in the DC5.. I had to fit an AEM CAI to get that :cool:

Associate
So that's what I got, what are your thoughts? Prices looking about spot on?

DO IT!!!!! :)

Thats my thought :p

From what I've heard it makes great difference.

My car has just been fixed at TDI North, its all serviced and ready to pick up. Cant wait.

Turns out a cable going to the IACV had rubbed through and the valve timings were a fair way out. :-|

Cant wait to drive it again!

Soldato

I have a magnex cat back on mine, unsilenced B pipe, it can get pretty loud but theres no rasp at all and it's spot on, I am gonna keep it even if it is a cheapo name.

I still need to do the Hondata mod, I don't fancy an induction kit afterall, I have gone off just how harsh the induction sound is on an open cone or similar... thats just me though :)

£585 for everything at ABP sounds ok, it's just a shame the FSRU is £155! I think I'll let my mechanic fit all my kit to save a few quid.

Man of Honour
OP
Had some work done on the ATR today. MOT is due in a month, so had it done early, flew through.

Then changed the front engine mount as the old one looked like this:

Photo28-02-2012150021.jpg

New one is solid, what a difference! Whole car feels better, really card to describe.

Also, I have never been happy with the brakes, they had no real stopping power and fade quickly. The pads that were fitted were cheapos, so I took no risk with the discs either. So on the front, new OEM discs, and these pads:

Photo28-02-2012150709.jpg

Keeping the discs on the back, and swapped the pads out with Pagid ones.

Pads that came off were Apec, nasty stuff!

Man of Honour
OP
BTW, FRSU should be about £80, not sure where they get £155 from?

Prices from Grinspeed for comparison:

Full fast road set-up £80.

Full fast road set-up with corner weight set-up £160

Fast Road set up with rear camber arms (DME) and two front camber bolts £247 (EP3/DC5)

Taken from:

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?77886-Offers.

Lots of praise for him on TRO. Not sure how far away you are, but worth a shout.

http://www.grinspeed.co.uk/

Associate
Right then, nipped over to ABP this morning and had a big chat with one of their team.
They have said that a fast road setup for my car will come in at £155inc vat

To me that looks very expensive. £155 just to adjust the front and rear toe angles is way too much. I wouldnt expect to pay more than £100 or so for a full set up including adjusting the camber.

Soldato
Agree with you guys.

Performance Autoworks charged me around the same as Grinspeed.

Richy also gave my suspension a good checkover as I completed the full rebuild only the night before so wanted som assurances it was safe (well it didn't fall apart on the way down there ;))

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
So abp are overpriced on the frsu but about spot on with the quote for camber arms and eibachs

I may give them a buzz and ask what the camber arms etc pricing is like without lowering springs.

If they are good and do it properly then I don't begrudge paying £155 but if other places
Do the same thing massively cheaper then questions have to be asked.

Back
Top Bottom