Type R and VTEC owners

New OEM discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, HEL lines and RBF600 fluid all on the DC5 today. Difference in stopping power is night and day over the OEM pads!

What's the realistic MPG you can get from a EP3 Tyre R on a run at 50mph constant.

Reason I ask is my journey to work is a 50mph road with speed cameras all the way down it. This returns ~38mpg in my Fiesta ST. What am I looking at in an EP3?

Cheers

I had an ST before my CTR. My ST used to get me around 32MPG and the CTR averaged about 26MPG.

You will do better though if doing constant driving at certain speeds as the ST desperately needed a 6th gear.

That and I used to drive in stop start traffic a lot in the ST and CTR.

I had an ST before my CTR. My ST used to get me around 32MPG and the CTR averaged about 26MPG.

You will do better though if doing constant driving at certain speeds as the ST desperately needed a 6th gear.

That and I used to drive in stop start traffic a lot in the ST and CTR.

It's a really nice run to work. No stopping or starting, just a nice constant flow with the odd round-a-bout.

Had a go in an FN2. They don't seem to be as quick as an ep3? Maybe it's the extra weight, or nicer interior, idk. They seem ok for what they are, and the interior does seem better, I like the seats too.

Might be a future purchase, but I rather would have 5 doors come to think of it.

So many stories of these S2000 being stacked. I knew someone who picked one up in the morning smashed up along with his mates pelvis in the afternoon in a straight piece of road after spinning off and rolling down an embankment

Barry wheels and rear lights. Avoid.
Grey is the best colour.
Look for a premier edition. Its worth it for the recaro seats alone.

Will do, found this one which is a premier edition,
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402031511859

Not entirely sure what the mud flaps are about, but looks in good nick, and as far as i can tell is standard (bar the mud flaps), has hankook tires (which from reading about aren't brilliant but aren't bad either (so would be a haggling point) comes with FSH, 70k on the clock, worth a look ? guessing the mud flaps are relatively easy to remove?

With the mileage on the Ep3's is there anything that needs serious consideration, i know the 75k service is a relatively big one, valve tappets checked etc, but again from reading about most Honda dealers seem happy to do it relatively cheap if I were to source plugs, oil filters etc myself.

Had a go in an FN2. They don't seem to be as quick as an ep3? Maybe it's the extra weight, or nicer interior, idk. They seem ok for what they are, and the interior does seem better, I like the seats too.

Might be a future purchase, but I rather would have 5 doors come to think of it.

They are equally quick but they dont seem quick as they are a lot more refined compared to EP3's. All that soundproofing, quieter engine bay makes a difference. EP3's are generally a lot louder which makes them feel quicker. If you get what I mean. Interior and build quality is a lot lot better on the FN2 compared to EP3 aswell and I agree with you. Seats are fantastic.

Will do, found this one which is a premier edition,
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402031511859

Not entirely sure what the mud flaps are about, but looks in good nick, and as far as i can tell is standard (bar the mud flaps), has hankook tires (which from reading about aren't brilliant but aren't bad either (so would be a haggling point) comes with FSH, 70k on the clock, worth a look ? guessing the mud flaps are relatively easy to remove?

With the mileage on the Ep3's is there anything that needs serious consideration, i know the 75k service is a relatively big one, valve tappets checked etc, but again from reading about most Honda dealers seem happy to do it relatively cheap if I were to source plugs, oil filters etc myself.

Mudflaps are easy to remove, usually two screws or two clips holding them on.
Not a lot to look out for, if you're spending £5k or above, check the car thoroughly. It should have full service history for that price and should relatively be immaculate. 75k = Major service and it's recommended to have the valve clearance checked and corrected.

What's the realistic MPG you can get from a EP3 Tyre R on a run at 50mph constant.

Reason I ask is my journey to work is a 50mph road with speed cameras all the way down it. This returns ~38mpg in my Fiesta ST. What am I looking at in an EP3?

Cheers

I could average 38mpg on my commute to work in my DC5 so id expect around 40mpg out of an EP3 at a constant 50

They are equally quick but they dont seem quick as they are a lot more refined compared to EP3's. All that soundproofing, quieter engine bay makes a difference. EP3's are generally a lot louder which makes them feel quicker. If you get what I mean. Interior and build quality is a lot lot better on the FN2 compared to EP3 aswell and I agree with you. Seats are fantastic.

Not sure I agree with all of that, I actually find the build quality on the old car better though the newer interior is obviously nicer looking. Too many easy scratch plastics on the fn2 ( handles, instrument cluster and gear surround I'm looking at you)

I was massively disappointed with how quick it wasn't after driving one again recently too. If you're only talking off the line then its decent but in every other on the move situation I was left really disappointed in how it went.

Depends what you expect, I expected it to feel overall about as quick as the 330, it didn't even feel in the same league ( allowing for the different delivery given the BMW is so linear), though I don't know that there would actually be much in it, just from the bum dyno.

I remember the ep3 being a bit more raw and feeling like something other than noise change was happening on vtec (yo) - again probably just perception but it all adds up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom