Type R and VTEC owners

Realised my MOT ran out on the Type-S just as I had noticed the brakes had seriously fallen a long way from their normal performance. It's also due a major service.

Discs and pads all round - £500, £300 for the service and MOT. All at Honda. Ouch :(

Why didn't you get the brakes done at a local indy and the service at Honda to retain FHSH?

I think the civic will have to be a very good steer or a lot cheaper than its rivals.

If it's 25k I think it would be hard to justify one over one of the many VAG offerings or a m135I/m235I etc.

I worry about it tbh, the base car is just unbelievably ugly and I don't think it'll lend itself well to the wings/arches etc that will be expected of the car.

The engine certainly sounds interesting though.

Why didn't you get the brakes done at a local indy and the service at Honda to retain FHSH?

Becasue the MOT had run out, couldn't legally drive it and my luck at the moment means I would get caught out even if I was driving to get it sorted. I would have done the brakes myself otherwise. Still £300 for the parts alone mind you.

Lesson learnt, remember MOT due date. My excuse... not had it a year yet. Glad I noticed though.

I think the civic will have to be a very good steer or a lot cheaper than its rivals.

If it's 25k I think it would be hard to justify one over one of the many VAG offerings or a m135I/m235I etc.

Why would it be hard to justify it over a VAG car? Because it's Japanese and their German?

The only thing that could stop this car from being good is if they just bolt on some bits to the hideous standard Civic and if they tone certain parts of the car for the European market.

If it ends up looking like the concept render and goes into production with the specs that are being mentioned, stuff like the body being built from pressed aluminium, then this car should be epic. Honda have let their engineers loose on this car and they are second to none. They still have 18 months left to develop this car and their aims sound astounding to say the least.

Becasue the MOT had run out, couldn't legally drive it and my luck at the moment means I would get caught out even if I was driving to get it sorted. I would have done the brakes myself otherwise. Still £300 for the parts alone mind you.

Lesson learnt, remember MOT due date. My excuse... not had it a year yet. Glad I noticed though.

I think I would have rather risked it than pay 300 quid just for parts:o Was your car already at Honda when you realised the MOT had expired then?:confused:

What's with the recent BMW 135i talk in this thread BTW? :/

S2000/knowledgeable people.

So the delay whilst shifting at higher RPM is very noticable, and quite offputting. It is the only thing I dont like about the car.

I believe there are two trains of thought:

1. the Clutch Delay Valve causes this hesitation and removing it will eliminate the problem.

2. the heavier flywheel in the MY04+ cars causes this delay and it is not the clutch/pressureplate/CDV causing it.

obviously, removing the clutch delay valve is a far easier/cheaper job than a new flywheel. I need to do something about it as it really is hindering my enjoyment of the car.

thoughts appreciated.

S2000/knowledgeable people.

So the delay whilst shifting at higher RPM is very noticable, and quite offputting. It is the only thing I dont like about the car.

I believe there are two trains of thought:

1. the Clutch Delay Valve causes this hesitation and removing it will eliminate the problem.

2. the heavier flywheel in the MY04+ cars causes this delay and it is not the clutch/pressureplate/CDV causing it.

obviously, removing the clutch delay valve is a far easier/cheaper job than a new flywheel. I need to do something about it as it really is hindering my enjoyment of the car.

thoughts appreciated.

Remove the CDV its very simple on E46 and transforms the manuals, I would imagine its no harder on S2K. Less than 1hr labour for any garage or get a DIY and give it a blast yourself.

Try the easy solution first.

Change flywheel is big money.

My S2K being a 99 and an import did not have a CDV I believe and I could smash through the gears at 9000rpm like my SMG does in the M3, zero delays, just hardcore changes. :)

rjkoneill, this might be of interest to you:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/275175-2004-2009-existing-slave-cylinder-mod/

Sounds relatively straight forward.

Specifically:

All, I have an 04. During the last three HPDEs, while under full power shifting, I have about a second of slippage. Is this the work of the delay valve. I believe it is.
Can anyone comment on the soundness for a weekend warrior to remove this valve? I think it is made more for the everyday roadies to prevent clutch dumping. However, I need that quick shifting when on the straights.
Word?

Yes.......what you described is the slippage.

Please refer to my thread for step by step on how to do this mod.

It can be done in less than an hour and can take up to 2 if your just being extra cautious.

yeah i read that. but the thing that concerns me is that there seems to be just as many people saying its not the CDV as there are who champion the removal of it.

this is what makes me think its not as clear cut

http://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/03/03/demystifying-the-ap2-drivetrain/

realistically, it could be a case of me being so used to changing quick in the EP3 that I should just get used to slower changes in the S

Last edited:
I think I would have rather risked it than pay 300 quid just for parts:o Was your car already at Honda when you realised the MOT had expired then?:confused:

What's with the recent BMW 135i talk in this thread BTW? :/

Actually, £300 for the parts from ECP if I Was to do it myself, so with added Honda tax and the fact the cleaning job they did on it was probably worth £100 alone I don't think it was too bad tbh. My cars never looked so clean or smelt so nice :D

Looking on Lings Honda at the diagrams, it seems from the pictures and the part codes that the flywheel on all UK cars is identical. The heavier one must be a US AP2 thing.

Flywheel is same weight in UK. Heavier flywheel was on 2.2 engine

Clutch delay is the problem. As gibbo says, you can smash through the box without

Back
Top Bottom