Type R and VTEC owners

I'd bleed new fluid through the clutch. A decent Castrol brake fluid will suffice.

Drain and replace gearbox oil with some Amsoil. This stuff really has made a great improvement to shifting on my civic.

I would not use anything apart from Honda MTF on Honda gearboxes. Honda's gearboxes are all designed and manufactured by Honda themselves and the OEM fluid is specifically designed for them.

My gearbox was notchy, drained and refilled with MTF-3 and its buttery smooth now. Gearbox oil change is one of those most overlooked jobs, so don't assume the previous owner did everything by the book!

That new civic sketch looks really good imo much better than the current FN's but like already said it will end up looking very similar to the current car with minor aero tweaks :( can't wait to see what people do with the turbo engines though, so much potential :D

Quick Civic question for the knowledgeable folk in here:

Current car may be uneconomical to repair so looking for replacements and a CTR is near the top of my list. Being a lazy sod I like my cruise control so would look for this in a new car.

Am I correct in thinking the most recent Type R (FN2?) only gets cruise control in GT spec?

Cheers :)

I would not use anything apart from Honda MTF on Honda gearboxes. Honda's gearboxes are all designed and manufactured by Honda themselves and the OEM fluid is specifically designed for them.

My gearbox was notchy, drained and refilled with MTF-3 and its buttery smooth now. Gearbox oil change is one of those most overlooked jobs, so don't assume the previous owner did everything by the book!

Even after I replaced with new MTF it was still notchy.

The yanks have been using Amsoil in Honda boxes for years without issue. I'd rather have a smooth change with a different oil, a notchy 3rd just ruins the drive.

Quick Civic question for the knowledgeable folk in here:

Current car may be uneconomical to repair so looking for replacements and a CTR is near the top of my list. Being a lazy sod I like my cruise control so would look for this in a new car.

Am I correct in thinking the most recent Type R (FN2?) only gets cruise control in GT spec?

Cheers :)

Yes the GT model has cruise control and quite a lot more toys than a standard version :)

RE: Gearbox oil - I've heard good things about Amsoil, never used it myself so can't comment on it, my only concern would be it seems to be thinner than the OEM stuff which would be equivalent of 10w\30 vs 5w\30, along with what kind of protection additives the Amsoil would come with in comparison to the OEM and the long term effects of it. I suspect probably not a massive difference, if people have had no problems using them over a number of years.

Back
Top Bottom