Type R and VTEC owners

Last edited:
That's actually not too bad, I have often toyed with the idea of an S2000 but ultimately I've always had a bugbear about soft tops. This was mainly due to fear of leaks and the aesthetics.
I think I would like a facelift one which I believe was 2005+

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/s2000/honda-s2000-2-0i-2dr-alarm-own-this-s2000-for-50-a-week/1974839?isexperiment=true

This one is close by but I think overpriced/

Facelift in MY04+ which is the same as my car although I have a very late MY04+
Then another facelift in MY06+ same as the one you linked which is horrendously overpriced.
Then another facelift in MY08.

You can spot the different models easiest by the wheels.

Other differences are less substantial although VSA becomes an option in 06+ and I believe is standard on all the 08+ models.

My advice is that if you want one with a hard top, go for one with a hardtop already fitted.

I wouldn't spend more than 10k on one unless you absolutely had to get the newest one you could get. To me the differences aren't worth the extra. I looked at a few 08 cars and ended up buying an 06 based on condition of the car. It was only a little cheaper than a private sale 08 but it came from a Honda dealership And had a warranty etc. The cheaper tax is a nice bonus but wasn't the decision maker for me.

I'm far from the expert, the FAQ on S2Ki was really helpful though and really did a lot to help me buy. Its quite a big read but will tell you everything you need to know.

Facelift in MY04+ which is the same as my car although I have a very late MY04+
Then another facelift in MY06+ same as the one you linked which is horrendously overpriced.
Then another facelift in MY08.

You can spot the different models easiest by the wheels.

Other differences are less substantial although VSA becomes an option in 06+ and I believe is standard on all the 08+ models.

My advice is that if you want one with a hard top, go for one with a hardtop already fitted.

I wouldn't spend more than 10k on one unless you absolutely had to get the newest one you could get. To me the differences aren't worth the extra. I looked at a few 08 cars and ended up buying an 06 based on condition of the car. It was only a little cheaper than a private sale 08 but it came from a Honda dealership And had a warranty etc. The cheaper tax is a nice bonus but wasn't the decision maker for me.

I'm far from the expert, the FAQ on S2Ki was really helpful though and really did a lot to help me buy. Its quite a big read but will tell you everything you need to know.

Thanks, I've noticed a lot more agressive looking front on some of the later models but literally seen it twice. I'll scout around a bit more.

Anyone recommend any H1 bulbs for my Accord? the "super Brilliance" bulbs from Halfrauds are crud -_-

Don't want to go HID Conversions, just after a straight swap brighter Bulb

Yes!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-X-treme-Vision-100-Brighter-Xenon-Effect-H1-Upgrade-Kit-2-x-H1-Bulbs-/120819928737?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c216dcea1

This is the ebay account of an authorised Philips bulb seller so no issues on authenticity :) Great price. Just got a set myself.

Cheers for that buddy, the one's on my car are shockingly bad.

I struggle to see at night but despite having eye tests I'm all ok. Noticed difference with those right away, was using a more 'white' LED type but these have a yellow hint to them which I understand gives better visibility than pure white.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with those compared to ones sold at a similar price. On most places they are £30.
Sorry, just remembered it was the H7 I got but I have no doubt these will be great too. I wondered why those were £3 cheaper! They come out top on a lot of reviews. I'll be getting the H1 when one of mine goes.

Last edited:
About to part exchange my 2003 Type R for an Audi A3 Diesel. Really going to miss it, love the feeling as you put the foot to the floor and the VTEC kicks in, change gear and get that 2nd little surge of power.

But unfortunately the bills are getting to the to expensive to run stage.

About to part exchange my 2003 Type R for an Audi A3 Diesel. Really going to miss it, love the feeling as you put the foot to the floor and the VTEC kicks in, change gear and get that 2nd little surge of power.

But unfortunately the bills are getting to the to expensive to run stage.

How much so expensive will they be? Are you covering enough mileage to warrant a diesel? Is it the 2.0TDI or 1.9TDI?

I think the type-r is actually cheap to maintain, but the fuel costs are rather high. A diesel will be cheap to run, but cost much more to maintain.

They are cheap. Sounds like he's trying to justify running a mundane diesel and failing:o

Bills will be far more costly on a diesel when something breaks, servicing will probably be more expensive too.

They are cheap. Sounds like he's trying to justify running a mundane diesel and failing:o

Bills will be far more costly on a diesel when something breaks, servicing will probably be more expensive too.

Servicing depends on the car tbh. It's just that there is a lot more to go wrong on a diesel then there is on the petrol.

A couple of examples;

EGR
DMF/Clutch
Turbo
Injectors

These are the main culprits for most problems especially the EGR. I will always buy a diesel for motorway journeys. If I spent a lot more time in the city, I'd buy a petrol. IF the diesel car has been serviced on time and these things have been changed according to mileage/yearly guidelines then there shouldn't be much of an issue depending how you treat the car.

I say keep the type-r forget the diesel. Pay the little bit extra in fuel, or drive it less. My Mundano is absolutely crap in the city (lol 35mpg), but on the motorway I can achieve 55mpg sat at 70. That's where it really shines.

I miss VTEC, but I'm too lazy now to rev the nuts off a car. It got quite tiresome in my ATR. I prefer handling to performance now. Maybe I'm just weird.

Fitted my Potenza RE002's today, bought them a year ago but my PE2's lasted way longer than I expected, 16750 miles.

Sailed through my 4th mot with the Integra, passed with flying colours :)

Edit, 5th mot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom