Type R and VTEC owners

Just get a petrol version. Although that said there isn't really much of a price different between petrols and diesels to incentivise a petrol purchase.

Yeh I was mainly going off the increased MPG with the diesel version (although with diesel being more expensive it kind of evens out a bit), and like you said there really isn't a price difference between them.

Took the siblings for a drive today on a favourite road and as ever, fell in love again with the car. Stay in 3rd and just driving the stunning roads around here never fails to please.

Also caught up to an S3 and had a good we drive with him. He pushed on as I came up behind, and whilst he had good speed into the corner, my exit speeds were higher and he was really holding me up throughout. He didn't look like a particularly competent driver either and was braking plenty mid corner...... Probably trying to control his under steer :p

Looking forward to having the geo realigned and setup with some more aggression this month. I'm pretty sure it's a bit out atm after last being done by PA 3yrs ago :(

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm looking at getting an (8th gen, 2006-2011) Civic, preferably the 2.2 i-cdti.

Has anyone here got one? Or know of anything specific to look out for?

I've been researching them to death and the main negative point I've seen is the rear spoiler obstructing vision.

Had a go in my friend's 1.8 Civic yesterday and fell in love with the interior (I'm coming from an '05 plate VW Bora 1.9 tdi) and also the amount of boot space.

I've owned mine 2008 2.2 cdti type s for about 6months so can't really pick up on any faults or problems. But it's done 47,000 miles and the clutch was replaced at 39,000 according to the service history.

I don't have any issues at all lovely to drive and sensible power, took me a little while to get used to the rear spoiler blocking the view but in a way it's kind of good it blocks the glare from vehicles behind you at night time driving.

Only thing that did happen when I slide the passengers seat forwards the air bag light would come on! Quick trip to honda and all sorted it was just a dodgy connector under the seat.

I preferred the diesel to the petrol version, petrol just felt gutless to be honest

The 1.8 in the 8 and 9th gen Civics is terrible if you care for any form of performance what so ever, I'm not a diesel loveer but if I had to have a 9th gen it would have to be the diesel

Not too fussed about them being performance cars as I'll mostly be doing commuting.

Plus coming from my 1.9 tdi Bora it will be quicker (as both the 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel civics have more BHP and faster 0-60 times)

The 8g 1.8 and 2.2 accelerate the same (watch side by side youtube videos). The 1.8 just does it using higher revs. They don't even make the 2.2 and the 1.6 is behind the 1.8. Perhaps diesels are going to be heavily crippled as regulations on NOx ramp up.

It is noisy compared to the very latest offerings from vag, but why would you ever compare the two?

Side by side with the engines available from it's launch, the ctdi is hands down a better engine imo.

They do like a clutch though, that's the one thing I would make absolutely sure had been done recently (or at very least had the latest part)

I've read it's noisy, unrefined and nowhere near as good as the German equivalents.

Well that's fairy tales. :p When it first came out it was the quietest diesel around, you could barely hear it dag dagging, and they were nice and smooth, much better than most opposition back then. The VAG diesels still sound like tractors! Still wouldn't buy one though, diesels are yuck.

Back
Top Bottom