Type R and VTEC owners

I've posted it loads of times but:

Engine & Drivetrain:
Waterpump and Belts
Check Oil (& Cap), Coolant, other fluids
Which oil is in there & levels?
Blue Smoke at the back, any smoke up front?
VTEC engages properly?
Noises; tappets and lifters etc.
Gearbox, notchy/crunchy?
2nd gear works ok? No jumping out of any gear?
Clutch feels ok – no juddering? No slipping? No release bearing noise?
Listen for whining from Gearbox
Engine and gearbox mounts, much rocking of engine?
Noises/rattles/vibrations/leaks
Easy to start?
Temp when idling, check fan kicks in

Suspension:
Steering rack recall work
Steering rack noisy, notchy, sticky, dry spots, creaky/clicky
Tramlining? Any pulling left or right
Tracking – check tyre wear and how wheels sit
Wishbones, bushes etc – does the car sit level?
Steering doesn’t feel loose indicating worn ball joints etc?

Brakes, Wheels & Tyres:
Check condition and wear of brakes and tyres
What are wheels like, corrosion etc
What brand of tyres, do they match?
Check rear tyre wear
No brake juddering?

Electrics:
Whirring when ignition on – front headlight adjustment noise?
Lights, heaters, anything worth trying etc, windows, interior lights, mirrors
Keyfobs to test locks, key in the door also

Interior:
Condition of wheel, plastics, seats, door cards
Carpet condition, check not wet, same for A/B/C pillars and boot
Window rattles
Check all electrics inside work – lights, windows, wipers, stalks, switches etc
Seats feel solid, not rocky etc, same for door cards if leant on hard

Exterior:
Rust in general and on the arches, hinges, (boot hinges/door hinges/bonnet hinges)
Dents/Scratches/Stone chips
Paint issues – laquer, fading, swirls etc, headlight fading/blotchy, skirts loose
Check under the cills and jacking points for damage, under bumpers/skirts also for scuffs/cracks

Docs, History, Other:
All keys & fobs?
All history – manuals, service books (check stamps), receipts, MOT cert(s), tax discs, V5 docs, Type R Leather Folder
Check HPI clear
Locking wheel nut key
History on major services, 50k service, 75k service
75k service details? Timing chain checks and tensioner checks, valve clearance, tappets, lifters full on service; belts, filters, fluids, hinges etc

Subjective. I personally prefer the look of the PFL.

This. Prefer pre-facelift CTR, ATR and S2000. Infact with many cars I think the facelift just serves little purpose than to try and modernise the car with bling.

I really want a pre-facelift s2000 at the minute but I would want mint, low mileage and an interesting colour. Can't see anything at the minute I fancy. Should have bought this one when I saw it last year for sale - s2k perfection IMO!

51fg.jpg

Right guys,

Been offered a FN2 in part exchange. It's a 08/58 Reg in Nighthawk black with only 16k Mileage. 1 Owner from new with full honda service history. The car is pretty much immaculate but it's a CAT D. Had minor front N/S damage where the
wing was damaged along with bumper and headlight. These have all been replaced and I've had a good look and the work carried out is perfect. It currently has a genuine Mugen Spoiler and Genuine Mugen front fenders fitted aswell along with a few other mods.

How much would it be worth to sell? The car really is immaculate

S2000. The owner of the black one hasn't got back to me since last night and no answers to calls. No idea what's going on, maybe he's in the pub.

The blue one has had a lady owner for the last 4 years. She's had it serviced at Honda every year, they do the MOT, tyres, everything. Sounds like it's a bit of a minter. The wheels need a touch up from what she's said but I'm not overly fussed.

The only thing that's bugging me is the interior, it's all black. I'd really prefer the red/black seats, but they don't go with blue.

Red and black is only available on grey silver & black.

I think I may be alone but I think the full red interior looks brilliant.

I would go for the blue one you linked out of the two. Ideally you want something totally unmolested to start with.

Seems that a lot of people buy Evo's, don't keep them very long and nor do they cover many miles during ownership. Are they really that expensive to run? Chris I recall you scoffing at the idea of an FD2 as they were so much for an old car, so I see why you might prefer the S2K.

Right guys,

Been offered a FN2 in part exchange. It's a 08/58 Reg in Nighthawk black with only 16k Mileage. 1 Owner from new with full honda service history. The car is pretty much immaculate but it's a CAT D. Had minor front N/S damage where the
wing was damaged along with bumper and headlight. These have all been replaced and I've had a good look and the work carried out is perfect. It currently has a genuine Mugen Spoiler and Genuine Mugen front fenders fitted aswell along with a few other mods.

How much would it be worth to sell? The car really is immaculate

I find the damage story quite hard to believe, given that repairing mine was never in doubt for a new door, repair to sill , sill cover, new arch trims front and rear, repair to rear quarter, new panel for the door jamb etc plus paint all along the near side. It's the exact same age but with 75k so will be worth a useful amount less to the insurer

Last edited:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...vic-mk6-type-r-2003/2355606?isexperiment=true

I'm planning to go and take a look at the above. What things should I look/listen out for? Does the price seem fair? I've messaged him and it only as part service history as he claims his friend has been doing the service for him.

other than this: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26382349&postcount=9021

Look for receipts of the items used to service the car, although it did 4k a year on average it should still be done on a time passed basis, here's a good reference: http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss330/22reg/My FN2 CTR/Civic12500Service.jpg I'd ask for these once you get there, they should be laid out or in a pack ready or he might use his Evo ones :p

He's cheaped out on the front tyres, this may be because he was getting ready to sell so have a look what's on the rear, if they're mismatched and or cheap-o no names then be wary, that's strong money for that car so I'd expect it to actually be flawless.

Thanks for that. I'm waiting to hear back about how many stamps it actually has in the book. I also thought the price was a bit on the high side and was thinking to offer him around £4000.

If I was looking at rough examples that were a grand less I may be tempted to spend the extra grand just to avoid faffing and get on with ownership. Tricky one with 'my mate services it' he could be genuine but you can never really know even with the cars brilliant reliability.

This is my new car:

10346660_10152246087393893_2979751926870447376_n.jpg

Needs a little TLC, ie stone chips, few door scuffs, new rear tyres. Maybe I'm being harsh but I am picky. Knocked a grand off what she was asking so paid £9000. Maybe too much? I don't know, don't really care either. Apart from the above it's 100% standard, 48k, has a full Honda history, every invoice, every MOT, never an advisory, very clean car. She's had it for nearly 4 years and only done 9000 miles or so.

Loved driving it back, the way you sit in it, the way it feels, just gives the impression of being a true sports car. Okay so it's not as fast as the Evo but I don't think I'll miss that aspect as much as I originally feared. The back steps out nicely, something I'll have to get used to I think.

Happy so far. Roof down is great too.

Just ordered some new scissors as well as some new gel. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom