Type R and VTEC owners

lol, that good.

It's cotton filter, don't see why it would let any in?

Cause OEMs all use paper. You will notice the stock filter is a paper cone and it's a good way to stop dirt causing engine wear.

You can see what filter an engine has used by the used oil analysis.

Also, first mod arrived:

Lots of pics of fitting it you haven't already fitted it and yours in an 06+ :D

Need to make a trip to my parents to grab my old headunit and get it fitted.
You got the lead for the car controls?

I have a K&N panel in my car and used them before, along with cotton cone filters, I never noticed the oil going darker any quicker than usual or adverse effects to the engine at all, my celica seems to love the panel filter it revs more freely but I did modify the airbox at the same time so it could be that

Dont some OEMs come with cotton filters, on some high performance cars? Cant think of anything off the top of head, is the R8 one of them maybe?

Last edited:
I won't be using Yellow Stuff pads on my car again.

They take forever to bed in, they constantly squeel.. and to make them fit the Carrier you have to take a file to the edges and finish them to fit properly!

I've seen some Hawk HP+ Pads for sale, I'm tempted to give them a go.

That sounds nothing like my experience of them. Bed in almost immediately thanks to the brake-in coating, hardly any squeal without shims or grease.

Ok so went to look at the red s2k and put a deposit down on it, just a few questions, the rear archs did not have any plastic protection like my civic, is this right? Should it just be bare metal under the rear arch? Also im not sure if this is a problem or if anyone has experienced this but in second gear it 'popped out of gear' and went to neutral no bad noise or clunking or anything like that but just went to neutral, not sure if it was because the gearbox was not fully warm? Popped out twice, but the gear nob seemed to be shaking a bit on engine braking In 2nd

Last edited:
Ok so went to look at the red s2k and out a deposit down on it, just a few questions, the rear archs did not have any plastic protection like my civic, is this right? Should it just be bare metal under the rear arch? Also im not sure if this is a problem or if anyone has experineced this but in second gear it 'popped out of gear' and went to neutral no bad noise or clunking or anything like that but just went to neutral, not sure if it was because the gearbox was not fully warm?

no it shouldn't pop out of gear, walk away

Ok so went to look at the red s2k and put a deposit down on it, just a few questions, the rear archs did not have any plastic protection like my civic, is this right? Should it just be bare metal under the rear arch? Also im not sure if this is a problem or if anyone has experienced this but in second gear it 'popped out of gear' and went to neutral no bad noise or clunking or anything like that but just went to neutral, not sure if it was because the gearbox was not fully warm? Popped out twice, but the gear nob seemed to be shaking a bit on engine braking In 2nd

Bloody hell run away, fast - why would you put a deposit down!?

Popping out of second gear under deceleration very occasionally is a fairly common s2000 thing, it only happens when the car is cold by most accounts, and changing to fresh gearbox fluid is meant to help. There is a service bulletin for early cars I think but I expect its expensive to have it done outside of warrant! The transmissions on these cars take a beating, 9000rpm means everything spins very fast and you will find yourself downshifting quite aggressively at times for overtakes and to keep in the power band.

The S2000 box is famed for its great shift, its fantastic when warmed up but it can feel a bit stiff and agricultural for the first couple of miles. A slight grind from 1st to 2nd is not unusual until it warms up either, you can be a bit more deliberate and slow with your shifts to start with and its not so unpleasant. When I had mine I did worry about it but from reading up 'they all do that sir' seemed usual. The box in my mx5 is similarly 'characterful' until warmed up although it doesn't ever pop out of gear.

It is to do with the synchros.....they have a hard time in the s2000. If it did it when warm it'd concern me but if it did it very occasionally when the box is stone cold then its something I'd probably have to get used to (though I'd get the gearbox fluid changed to see if that made a difference).

Bloody hell run away, fast - why would you put a deposit down!?

Becauase I read that it can be a commom problem, and it might be because its not fully warm, its from a ford dealer garage, and I pushed for 6 months free waranty which covers the gearbox and transmision and he assured me if their was a problem with the trans or gear box they would repair it

I'm a bit confused about people picking DS2500's for road use.

They have little to no bite when cold, and well, you'll never get close to their top temperature with road driving.

I managed to do 4-5 hot laps at a time at Cadwell park on standard Honda discs and pads with RBF600 fluid and the lower brake brace. They started to go a bit tired near the end, but that was it.

You do not need anything other than probably EBC Yellow stuffs if you are doing even the hardest of driving on the road. You simply won't be 'on it' for long enough.

Speaking as someone who did the "Ricky Run" most months, and never, ever got fade.

Back
Top Bottom