Type R and VTEC owners

thats the point though, an s2000 is an s2000, there isnt a lower spec model to confuse things with.

they all have the same power output in this country and the rarer special editions in AP2 guise aren't noticeably different in performance either. there isnt a 'lower model' where people can do a wolf in sheeps clothing job on it.

A base spec M3 with CSL wheels or a Carrera with a GT3 Aerokit is [sorry Gibbo :p] is different as both of them arent the same as the much higher performance offering.

but there's a load of back slapping and length handling on here over a spoiler equipped base spec car.

Like when you see these TDI TTs with TTRS spoilers. outrageous tbh, but the manufacturer offers them which only devalues the appearance of the top end model.

The s2000 doesnt fall into this category though as there is no 'higher model' sure the Type S and CR are 'nicer to have' but the performance from the car remains identical.

I wouldn't take the comments in here too personally rjkoneill. What do YOU think of it?

I know you've commented on the fitment but what are your thoughts after having it fitted for a day or so?

Oh im not taking it personally at all. Its all good feedback.

I feel my point about the 911 are pretty valid though.

I was dead set on a Voltex wing a while back but felt that it was very OTT and i would have needed mental coilovers and wheels to pull that sort of look off.

I saw a J's wing on the forums a while back for 350 and felt crap for not snapping it up but I think that a carbon GT wing wouldnt be inkeeping with what i want. The car is pretty much perfect and once the scrapes and other bits are sorted, I will be going for an OEM look on it.

I dont want to go mental with stuff but felt the Type S wing was the most outlandish thing I could get for the car that wasnt seen as 'tuner' or 'aftermarket' so hopefully the other stuff i have planned contributes to that theme.

I personally love it. I wouldnt have dropped so much on it if i didnt. but it took a while to grow on me. i kept coming back to it and thats how i knew it had to happen.

in regards to running it, I havent had the wing on yet as i said before, the mounting plates to reinforce the boot lid are still being made so they will have to be installed tomorrow before i can drive properly with the spoiler installed.

Rich but a 911 even the entry level Carrera can have a huge wing as it still quick car. Just like an M3 is a quick car, both are capable of 175+mph and at such speeds they don't suffer front end lift like Hondas do. ;)

I love the aerokit, especially on 997 Carrera and Turbo. Neither are trying to pretend to be GT3's as the GT3 has different front bumper, rear bumper and rear spoiler. Anyone who knows Porsches and is into cars can very easily tell a GT3 apart from an aerokit 911 from any angle. On mine it even tells you it's a Carrera as the name Carrera is in huge writing on both sides lol.

Also that article states that regular 911 is slower than GT3, a Carrera S (997 power pack) is quicker than any 996 GT3 and only fractionally slower than 997 GT3.

My car is no GT3 and nor is trying to be so, it's just a very well spec'd Carrera S from factory with some GT3 underpinnings added by myself making it exceptional both road and track in both wet and dry.

Infact I just love huge wings on 911's the car shape really suits it, GT2 and RS hVe epic wings and they look great. Whereas M3's with wings just look stupid and Barry'd up, a lip spoiler or CSL boot lid looks better.

Only works with top down with the CR roof well.

attachment.php

CR doesnt have a soft top and has bracing there instead

That looks ace! Does it have a roof of any kind.

Looking forward to seeing RJK's on the car, not sure how it will look with a fabric roof though, think it will look great with hardtop however.

S2000 have rear end lift anyway

there is an insider joke here. Andrew Moore tried to inform us that his Mugen/Fugen wing afforded front end lift on his car at 132mph.

clearly this is Swallocks.

That looks ace! Does it have a roof of any kind.

Looking forward to seeing RJK's on the car, not sure how it will look with a fabric roof though, think it will look great with hardtop however.

thats a CR from the states. doesnt come with a roof. but has that instead.

the cover costs loads but my spoiler is from the japanese type s. its the same as the CR but has a soft top.

Last edited:
OK so today I got the spoiler fitted properly.

Started off with the reenforcement brackets my stepfather kindly made for me. Obviously they just needed to be metal and cut to fit. Him being an engineer means that they were cut, bevelled and countersunk with high precision. Shame they get hidden really.
The purpose of the cut out is so that they can be rotated into position. I just followed a guide on the shape from a poster on S2Ki.

IMG_20140830_130256.jpg

Moving them into place was really easy, the curve of the boot lid and the internal ribbing held it in place which made it easier to install the bolts. I dropped a bolt down the ribbing. That was interesting..
Basically a 20 minute FAFF with a coat hanger to grab the bolt.

IMG_20140830_131515.jpg

The biggest job was installing the torsion springs for the boot lid. Due to the extra weight of the spoiler, thicker springs are needed to ensure it doesn't slam down and the boot clicker still opens.

Honda sell a tool but I decided to have a go anyway using mole grips and a tyre lever. Neither worked and in the end I used a small claw hammer. Nasty job that was. Do not advise.

Only one journey done in the car with the spoiler on so I can't tell if it makes much of a difference.
However. There was a bunch of little lads giving me the thumbs up whilst I was at a junction.

That doesn't happen usually. I didn't see them thumbs upping any Clio's or Fiestas either so they must have liked the wing. :)

Looks like you are doing a neat job with regards to the install :)

Looks well designed too, if a bit fiddly to, a lot of people fitting aftermarket wings on MX5s, S2000s and the like just bolt the things to the bootlid, the forces exerted downward at speed tends to just push the bootlid down on its stops, rather than transfer downforce to the shell/body of the car properly, so you lose some of the downforce its meant to give you in flexing the bootlid rather than pushing the rear of the car down. The extra bumper things for this kit will help stop that, should help make it more effective I guess.

I need a bigger spoiler on my 5 to compete now :p

There was a bunch of little lads giving me the thumbs up whilst I was at a junction.

That doesn't happen usually. I didn't see them thumbs upping any Clio's or Fiestas either so they must have liked the wing. :)

Were they wearing track suits and holding their genitals though?:p Thumbs up from LADZ isn't always a good thing.

Glad to see a proper install though, it looks very precise.

Haha, no, they weren't the usual stoke population which you describe, those sort would probably be waving their middle fingers rather than a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom