Type R and VTEC owners

Would 5 mile each way journeys to work and back cause DFP related issues on the i-DTEC engine?

Most likely, that isn't enough miles for the DPF to regen and dump all the carp out. Can't remember what exactly the requirements for the regen are but pretty sure you will need to do more miles and certain speed for it to regen.

Stick with petrol, far nicer, if you find a 2.4 there is flash kit for the ECU that totally transforms it.

Do you know if the ES GT has HIDs?

I don't I'm afraid sorry

Stick with petrol, far nicer, if you find a 2.4 there is flash kit for the ECU that totally transforms it.

What does it increase the power to on the 8th gen?

On my 7th gen Type-S I found the performance ok for the size of the car but it definitely needed more, that was 190 BHP, the 8th gen starts off with a bit more at standard with 197 I think

Did a job that I've been meaning to do for ages and took a trip to Jack Smith Trimmers in Swansea. I can't fault the service and it's the cheapest by a country mile. An unexpected surprise was that he had a red hood that was in his garage after someone cancelled. I can't think of a time when I've seen a moonrock car with a red hood, so I went for it! Only one picture as the light had gone by the time I got home (it's far). Any thoughts? Apologies for the iPhone pics.

I just need a big red spoiler now :p

Last edited:
Is it just me as every time I see a pic of that Jack Smith hood it seems the rear window is smaller than it was on the OEM.

Maybe its the bottom of it that doesn't stick out as much don't know, any difference in person??

edit: and more pics please :)

Let me get this right, you chopped in the Audi to get an Accord as it was costing you too much doing 30k miles a year, yet before you have even bought it you have applied for a job which makes the whole purpose of a diesel redundant? This is after you were asking about remapping said accord for more power and worried about smoke out the exhaust - but now worried about blocking a DPF.

Why not just have one car and drive the S2000 for a 5mile commute?

Hate to admit it but I agree with you.

Milanochris whats the deal man, just make a decision and stick to it?

Did a job that I've been meaning to do for ages and took a trip to Jack Smith Trimmers in Swansea. I can't fault the service and it's the cheapest by a country mile. An unexpected surprise was that he had a red hood that was in his garage after someone cancelled. I can't think of a time when I've seen a moonrock car with a red hood, so I went for it! Only one picture as the light had gone by the time I got home (it's far). Any thoughts? Apologies for the iPhone pics.

I just need a big red spoiler now :p

Absolutely horrible red soft top, looks hideous, ruined the car imo :(

I think it's safe to say MilanoChris is impulsive. I remember when he had an EP3 years ago haha.

I love the red rag top. Looks a little bright but a bit of UK weather and it will look spot on methinks.

Those Jack Smiths boys really should be running the whole UK soft top replacement business by now. They're mentioned everywhere when it coems to rag tops.

What's it look like with the roof down and the red ? I like the standard one.

My car isn't worth fixing up, my roof is now 15years old though and a bit cracked.

Is it just me as every time I see a pic of that Jack Smith hood it seems the rear window is smaller than it was on the OEM.

Maybe its the bottom of it that doesn't stick out as much don't know, any difference in person??

edit: and more pics please :)

The material at the bottom of the window is very slightly different from the original, but it's a genuine honda window. The angle of the photos doesn't help either. Difficult to notice in reality.

The red hood won't be for everyone, and I did think about the safe option of the black (resale etc). It does look loads better in real life - will get some better photos. It's black lined, so you only really see black when the hood is down.

Last edited:
What does it increase the power to on the 8th gen?

On my 7th gen Type-S I found the performance ok for the size of the car but it definitely needed more, that was 190 BHP, the 8th gen starts off with a bit more at standard with 197 I think

Doesn't really increase the power much on its own, it changes major characteristics of the engine and other bits. You see 190bhp should be more than adequate in the Accord, but the problem is the stock map on it is poor, with makes it feel sluggish or lacking power.

The 7th and 8th gen were designed to be exec cruisers so they have a really sedate map, the VTEC range is only 6-7k, thats less than 1k of VTEC and there are so many flat spots in the rev range, then the drive by wire has lag, it makes it all feel slow when infact the 2.4 is capable of much much more, it is a great piece of engineering with big tuning potential just like the K20, but with more torque.

The ECU flash from memory smoothes out the power through the rev range and you get more power and torque between 2-4k, and the VTEC range becomes 4.5k to 7.5k, and the lag in throttle is wiped out, so everything is instantaneous, it also changes the map on the VTC so that it actually does something unlike on the stock map.

Everyone whose flashed their 2.4's on the Accord forums seem to rave about it, I think the team behind it are now working on one for the K20.

I remember reading a lot into the 2.4 and up to and around 250BHP can be achieved NA but big money needs spending to get there - My next car I dont really want to be messing with it but that temptation for a modified car is always there and I do like the newer shaped Accord

Reading a lot of the remaps on the type accord forums, a lot of mention for the 2.4, not the 2.0, would like the vtec to kick earlier on my 2L pre 7th gen, all i've heard its possible but not really been tested.

I find the 2.0 on the 7th gen's are quite strong engines and pull well even with 150bhp, just those little things done to even things out would transform the car massively.

Back
Top Bottom