Type R and VTEC owners

For the price that Jack Smith charged the hood practically becomes a wear item. £280 for a new hood every 7 years (how old mine was) isn't really bad. Not sure I'll keep the car for another 7, but you never know, mine's just ticked over 50k. Going to have to keep up cycling to work to keep the miles off!

Rear disks and a front end respray for stone chips and it'll be minty fresh.

£280, all colours the same price. Bit of a waiting list, but I'm not surprised! He makes them all in house. Going to give it a wash now and try to take some better pics to convince the naysayers!

Pretty sure Des paid somewhere around £800 for his a few years ago? I must admit, the worst thing on my car by far is the hood, I can stomach £280 but not £800!

I remember reading a lot into the 2.4 and up to and around 250BHP can be achieved NA but big money needs spending to get there - My next car I dont really want to be messing with it but that temptation for a modified car is always there and I do like the newer shaped Accord

aye, sticking a K20 header alone will give you around up to 230bhp, it is not massively expensive to mod, but maybe more so than doing mods on other manufacturers, but tuning Honda's has always been expensive, but worth it IMO.

Modding can be a bit of a faff, the ecu reflash is only around £300 if you CBA with 'mechanical' modding, that should give you a nice boost for not much money or hassle.

Reading a lot of the remaps on the type accord forums, a lot of mention for the 2.4, not the 2.0, would like the vtec to kick earlier on my 2L pre 7th gen, all i've heard its possible but not really been tested.

I find the 2.0 on the 7th gen's are quite strong engines and pull well even with 150bhp, just those little things done to even things out would transform the car massively.

To be honest it's not really worth it on the 2.0, as they are economy engines designed to be more of a general workhorse, but yeh changing the VTEC band and one thing it could do with is a remap of the DBW to wipe out the lag.

£280, all colours the same price. Bit of a waiting list, but I'm not surprised! He makes them all in house. Going to give it a wash now and try to take some better pics to convince the naysayers!

You need to get some more red on the car, 3 primary colours works but the wheels are a diff grey to the car so you have 4 now which makes it look confused.

£280 is outrageously cheap. as said, it becomes a wearable item at that price.
The red roof looks a bit odd to me, but we all like different things. I have a disgusting spoiler on my car that nobody likes so my opinion is pretty much invalid :p

One of the reasons I went for a GT was because it almost guarantees a roof in brilliant condition. Mine is pretty much spot on but the elastic above your head isn't as taught as it could be.

I priced up some center caps for my wheels as I am having them refurbished next month. £47 each on lings :rolleyes:
Si at Hendy said he can do them for me at £40 each. £150+ for center caps is silly money.

They are £20 each in the states, so I have asked my Dad to get me some as he lives in Texas.

In the meantime I filled all the holes in on mine with P-Tex, sanded them back and painted them silver. they need a few coats more and I could do with ordering some Honda stickers for them to try and make them look less crap but they will do the job for the time being. Better than having big chips/corroded holes in them.

G9snCzM.jpg

I ended up wrapping mine in Dinoc (fake carbon :eek:) with Honda 'H' silver stickers on them. They look ok actually, not as nice as the brushed OE finish but better than the painted finish they were.

they care the full cap Chris.

I saw your posts on S2Ki Scottland, I am beginning to regret bothering but they were properly crap before, at least they will look OK on the refurbed wheels until i can get some new center caps.

More pics:

I think the first one is the best angle by far. As I said before, I don't think I've seen another one with a red hood (some will say that's for a reason!), but I'm pleased that I've gone for it.

£280 for a full roof, how long did it take?

Not knocking it, but why are some companies charging £800? Unless I'm missing something here, something has to give, be it quality of the material, the work, or all the others are making a fortune per job? Can someone enlighten?

There is some sealant still setting, so will have a top down pic in the next couple of days. I don't think the price is a con, the fit and material looks good. I'm sure some real nitpickers could differentiate between them, but the rip was far more obvious!

Edit - it took the whole morning to fit.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting it's a con, but I don't understand how company X charges £280 for work that company Y charges ~£800 for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom