Type R and VTEC owners

Why do you think mileage is irrelevant? I'm really put off by something with 100k or so.

Looking at any other s type on auto trader with mileage around 60k they are asking £3-4k

Tricky stuff car buying.

That car is worth around 2.5k, so I would offer him that and no more than 2.6k, although if its a really well looked after model i would personally be happy to pay 2.7k if I was keeping the car for a long time.

The used car market can be a minefield and its not always easy to find a car without a chequered history or something dodgy going on underneath!

what would be the choice to go for on a low budget? my old accord is just starting to have creaks and rattles these days and the mrs won't drive it because of the size of it......... on the other hand i am pretty set on another honda because i have grown used to the gentle relaxing drive.....unless you hammer the hell out of it :D (budget about 6-8grand). So of course a newer accord is out of the question because she won't use that one either... What are the newish civics(aka 06plate) like?

As others said that gen Civic has an awful ride thanks to a 1950's suspension setup, you would be suprised that it didn't come with a ladder chassis!

I would look at a Toyota Auris as an alternative, it has a much better ride and are generally underrated lovely all round cars, bland to look at compared to the Civic, but who cares.

Yesterday I successfully changed my seized driver side rear caliper myself having never so much as taken a wheel off before. I didn't swear even once so I must having been doing something wrong. All seems well now, the passenger side will probably go next week.

CRmkOxu.jpg

It's pretty easy... just a pain if you have to wind the piston back etc to fit brake pads.

A brand new caliper is very easy to wind back :D

Winding the front pistons back is a piece of cake, much easier using something like an irwin quick grip than a windback tool, the rears are what can be a PITA, and a blister job with a windbackt ool.

This question will certainly highlight my level of ineptitude but surely you only have to windback the piston if/when it's full of brake fluid which a new caliper isn't? So if you were changing the brake pads you'd need to but I had no issues fitting the new caliper.

Yeah - its an easy job. Until you get a stuck caliper.

S2000s rear calipers are crap for this though, mine is stuck off at the moment on the rear right :(

This question will certainly highlight my level of ineptitude but surely you only have to windback the piston if/when it's full of brake fluid which a new caliper isn't? So if you were changing the brake pads you'd need to but I had no issues fitting the new caliper.

Not sure what you mean, you only have to wind the piston back if its retracted so far up that you can't get your pads in. I would assume a new caliper would be retracted all the way down from the factory hence why you didn't need to do it.

Never had to replace a caliper myself, just service the brakes every year and keep them in good shape and they last well, my Honda has Lucas calipers IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom