Type R and VTEC owners

Looking good! What did you use for the headlights? I've heard toothpaste is good... mine need doing at some stage. Getting some condensation in one of them too, a new one is extortionate so need to investigate sealing it somehow.

At £30k a Civic Type R sounds expensive, even if it is a beast. I suppose this is the going rate for a hot hatch these days. Are they releasing a warm version too?

I gave them a sand down with some meguires 2500 grit wet and dry paper using water and fairy liquid, upon drying you will think you have ruined your headlights as they will be really dull and even more cloudy looking, i then used some meguires scratch X 2.0 to buff them back up and they now look brand new, takes around 15minutes per light!

Simon, what brake upgrades would you recommend?

I went RBF 600 Fluid with DBA4000 discs and ds2500 pads and thought it was pap. That was after loads of people on S2Ki said they were amazeballs.

There was a guy who ran a garage around London that did discs that had FCR in the model number... everyone seemed to love them after they got 'found' .. dixcel brakes?

Personally, I had to work really hard to get fade at Cadwell park on a Honda Discs and Pads stock setup with RBF600 fluid. Are you doing track days in it?

Cooling ducts help, and there are decent parts that look 'OEM' to put in the front ducts, but you need to cut your bumper. A guy in Malaysia built a kit for his S2000 (search on S2ki for Sepang brake duct) and did a test round Sepang race track, unable to get fade no matter what he did.He cooled the rears also.

I think the Spoon 4 pot caliber kit fits under the JDM 16" 6 spoke wheels, unsure about the 17's

Last edited:
Oops sorry missed the question. To add to Conanius.

I run cheap bremtech disks from brakes international, EBC yellow pads (although currently on OEM as had them lying around), SRF fluid and braided hoses. I also have a master cylinder brace. Never really had any brake issues.

Since I tried Carbotech XP8 on my Evo, I've gone off DS2500's. I've also since then read a lot of people saying that they leave loads of deposits on the discs and there are much better pads out there. I won't be using them again after that married up with my own experience that I put down to all aftermarket pads.

Think I'll go with PF 2 piece rotors, lines and XP8's or similar pads for the front and a light upgrade at the rear.

Last edited:
Since I tried Carbotech XP8 on my Evo, I've gone off DS2500's. I've also since then read a lot of people saying that they leave loads of deposits on the discs and there are much better pads out there. I won't be using them again after that married up with my own experience that I put down to all aftermarket pads.

Think I'll go with PF 2 piece rotors, lines and XP8's or similar pads for the front and a light upgrade at the rear.

What issue did you have with those pads? I currently use them and I find them awful until they are warmed up a bit with some sharp braking.

They judder like hell when hot too.

Dont half arse the S2000 rears, they do a lot!

When I say 'light' I mean I am not going 2 piece at the rear. Decent single piece disc, same pads as the front and lines should be enough surely.

Just deciding on pads. XP8's were good but squealed a lot. Been offered Project Mu HC800 for a good price and I think PF themselves do a fast road/track compound.

Last edited:
Too much overrun noise for me. But that's on a video so can't really comment.

I know what you mean about them sounding bigger than a 4cylinder though. I've had 3 aftermarket exhausts on mine. All very different but all had a mid range warble more like a 6cylinder. Passengers also commented the same.

The most mental was of course the Js racing 60RS single (mk1).

There is a lot of over run noise, but the position of the mic amplifies it.

I don't use the car often but if it starts being too much then I think a silenced decat will help.

I really miss the sound of my old Mugen Twinloop on the ITR, i was talking to the guys who built my MX5 for me today to see if i can get anything like it, relatively stealthy most of the time but an awesome noise when you give it some beans, that S2000 reminds me of it, it's great!

When I say 'light' I mean I am not going 2 piece at the rear. Decent single piece disc, same pads as the front and lines should be enough surely.

Just deciding on pads. XP8's were good but squealed a lot. Been offered Project Mu HC800 for a good price and I think PF themselves do a fast road/track compound.

How much are all these pads? EBC yellows are good vfm. Some of these Lorraine Kelly pads are like £200.

Your car is standard. It doesn't need bling brakes, honda did a great job from the factory. See how you get on when on track and go from there.

I'd be more worried about your exhaust that brakes if you plan to go on track

I'm heavy on brakes, I'll ruin the OEM ones on one track day.

I don't think the exhaust is over 100db so I should be fine. A silenced decat or simply putting the cat back on for a trackday is another option.

Back
Top Bottom