Type R and VTEC owners

What reg/miles etc was it Dave? They're dropping quick price wise :( Was it hard to sell?

I am umming and arring, love my car but hating fuel bills, think it's had about 60 quid this weekend alone and I haven't even been anywhere really!

Was on 04 plate on 77k bud. I did get allot of timewasters from all over the country phoning and giving me silly offers and promises of visiting but overall its taken just a few weeks to sell but I did have mine priced really well at 4k and up here that was the cheapest around. I believe down south they are very hard to shift at the moment so prices have plummeted. The guy that bought mine came down from Aberdeen so it still looks like people are willing to travel for them.

Im going to have to go down south for my next car there is hardly any for sale up here at a reasonable price.

They will sell if priced keenly, they are a sought after car. Problem is, there's lots to chose from and it's hard to spot the ones that haven't been looked after based on an advert alone.

I've turned up to view some so called 'mint' examples and the condition has been terrible.

What reg/miles etc was it Dave? They're dropping quick price wise :( Was it hard to sell?

I am umming and arring, love my car but hating fuel bills, think it's had about 60 quid this weekend alone and I haven't even been anywhere really!

the £60 a week for me is the only sticking point for me too in honesty.

I love my car, and have no plans to get rid of it but its a killer on fuel.

Its not hurting me too badly at the moment but I can see my upcoming house move being more difficult because of it.

Had a great day out in the car on saturday driving through Glenfinnan and up to mallaig. I would say thats some of the best roads I have driving on in the UK. If your up this way try and get there

7080476355_df66738861_z.jpg

7080513525_64c60deb48_z.jpg

6931966824_cc6dc276a7_z.jpg

the £60 a week for me is the only sticking point for me too in honesty.

I love my car, and have no plans to get rid of it but its a killer on fuel.

Its not hurting me too badly at the moment but I can see my upcoming house move being more difficult because of it.

I've been thinking of something like a Zetec S TDCI Fiesta MK6 to save money but it'd probably be offset by unreliability! lol, do love the Civic's but like you say you can feel the cost a bit just lately with daft fuel prices. Some weeks it has around £80 and I only drive locally! 300 quid a month on fuel is pretty bad, I should be putting a lot more cash away really.

Still I cleaned it and I've had my wheels refurbed and it does look pretty nice and I love how it drives and sounds with the exhaust...so I'd no doubt regret selling it now.

ocuk150412-3.jpg

ocuk150412-2.jpg

Think I'll get it lowered next and all the gubbins which goes with it (camber arms etc). Expensive do really, as it's only for looks for me! I like how it rides and handles but the arch gap kinda hinders the looks to myself.

Spend money on a KPRO and you'll get 35mg + on the motorway.

are there any benefits for town driving as well?

I thought a Kpro was only worth it when you have the associated breather mods to go with it?

or is it just that a Kpro on a stock vehicle has reduced gains?

I thought a Kpro was only worth it when you have the associated breather mods to go with it?

Theres a major difference on a stock vehicle. More torque lower down so you don't have to be in second all the time to be "ready" :). I do miss the kick though, I may put the same map on but with the kick still in for some nostalgia.

My fuel seems to last longer since having it, especially when not Vtec'ing. Have you tested how many miles you get on a full tank? I'm nearly at the end of my latest tank which will see about 240miles. This is 90% town driving with a few A roads in there, I said to myself I wasn't going to go into Vtec this tank but I couldn't resist.

Saw your Type R at Overclockers the other day. If you ever see a red one with the reg W555, thats mine.

Last edited:
Just an FYI,

Are the exhaust heat shields on the EP3 a known problem around 70k miles?, my clips had rusted and broke off and it was making the car sound like it was about to fall apart. Put one of those big hose clips around it which solved it.

Last edited:
Spend money on a KPRO and you'll get 35mg + on the motorway.

You should be able to manage 35mpg without it in my experience. I regularly get 34.5-36mpg (motorway driving + town driving to / from work plus a few shorter journey's), admittedly this is restricting v-tech to only a few occasions. Have also had around 38mpg on the motorway, not granny driving but sticking to 70. Would KPRO really improve on this?

Just an FYI,

Are the exhaust heat shields on the EP3 a known problem around 70k miles?, my clips had rusted and broke off and it was making the car sound like it was about to fall apart. Put one of those big hose clips around it which solved it.

Is it the front one? If so that's quite common and most people just remove it.

As for the Kpro, the base map is a bit more efficient when not having a blast. P Probs won't improve on ~30mpg but make it more achievable without driving too much like an old lady.

Would KPRO really improve on this?

It's certainly possible for it to give improved economy, but factor in the cost and you'll have to be doing a lot of miles for it to start saving you money. Driving better can make a big difference for free, gentle acceleration, watching the flow of traffic on when to lift off and not brake-accelerate-brake-accelerate etc

Also if you get an aftermarket ECU you want to get it mapped to your car, using stock maps is a dangerous game. There's a very high chance it'll be over fuelling or under fuels! :eek:

Theres a major difference on a stock vehicle. More torque lower down so you don't have to be in second all the time to be "ready" :). I do miss the kick though, I may put the same map on but with the kick still in for some nostalgia.

I hear it removes the dip in the changeover. would it be be a benefit having the K100 instead?

I was planning on getting a Tegiwa/Gruppe M in a few weeks. Would it not worsen the economy having them on the vehicle?

My fuel seems to last longer since having it, especially when not Vtec'ing. Have you tested how many miles you get on a full tank? I'm nearly at the end of my latest tank which will see about 240miles. This is 90% town driving with a few A roads in there, I said to myself I wasn't going to go into Vtec this tank but I couldn't resist.

I am about the same on fuel. 240 miles seems to be about the max I get

my last full fills netted me the following mileage.

this seems about the same as yours with about the equivalent in the mix of roads we drive on. I have never been able to resist going into VTEC :o:(

Saw your Type R at Overclockers the other day. If you ever see a red one with the reg W555, thats mine.

ah, I will keep an eye out for it. :D

may have to come out for a passenger ride next time you're in if I'm not swamped with work so i can have a look at this kpro myself

It'll improve economy in all areas as it leans out the overly rich stock map.

You don't need mods to go with it, but if you want a lot more power then they will be needed.

KPro will give an increase of around 10-15 bhp top end on an otherwise standard car but will improve mid range by around 40bhp.

Just an FYI,

Very common issue, as is the driveshaft heatshield. Some people just take them off to cure the noises.

I hear it removes the dip in the changeover. would it be be a benefit having the K100 instead?

I was planning on getting a Tegiwa/Gruppe M in a few weeks. Would it not worsen the economy having them on the vehicle?

I am about the same on fuel. 240 miles seems to be about the max I get

my last full fills netted me the following mileage.

this seems about the same as yours with about the equivalent in the mix of roads we drive on. I have never been able to resist going into VTEC :o:(

ah, I will keep an eye out for it. :D

may have to come out for a passenger ride next time you're in if I'm not swamped with work so i can have a look at this kpro myself

KPro and K100 are basically the same thing. They will have the same map on them, so no difference at all in BHP/torque or economy. The difference is that the KPro has a USB socket allowing you to datalog and tune the car yourself.

It's best to get all the power mods you want done first before getting a KPro/K100 because otherwise you'll have to get a remap each time you add something new.

You should be easily getting 250 miles plus, if you're not, you're either driving it wrong (plenty of MPG increasing tips around) or your tyre pressures are out.

Adding a simple bolt on mod will no effect economy at all, the thing that will is your right foot as you enjoy the noise more.

The dip is there for marketing reasons. The stock map is actually a bad one but gives the impression it's quicker. I've got used to the smoothness now and you can still notice the change over. I have the same tuned map with the kick still in but I've never used it.

Don't think it would make much difference with just that mod. a lot of people with induction and exhaust use the standard RSX cold air map that comes with the KPRO. It's obviously best to get it custom tweaked for your car whenever you start modding. The only reason I use a generic map is because it was set up solely with a standard EP3.

A34 is good for a test drive :) do you work on the counter? I keep looking at the Tegiwa induction for mine but I know if I get that I would have to get an exhaust and then remapped.

5200rpm Vtec
8600rpm Rev limiter , it's a different beast.

I got my Kpro for £720 off ebay, the tuning places are charging around £1k for it. It is handy as I had an engine light come on due to my battery being flat. I just hooked it up to my laptop and reset the fault code, it saved me going to the Honda dealer for them to reset it. The datalogging is also good to detect engine knocks etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom