Type R and VTEC owners

My Mx5 race car

Nengun are a good bunch I've used them a few times. That engine is going to cost a lot more landed in the UK though, then god knows how much for all the stuff you need to bolt onto it. It'd be nice to have a box fresh engine, but you'd be an awful lot better off just buying a wrecked s2000 off copart and having at it.
I do fully approve of the swap though!

Nengun are a good bunch I've used them a few times. That engine is going to cost a lot more landed in the UK though, then god knows how much for all the stuff you need to bolt onto it. It'd be nice to have a box fresh engine, but you'd be an awful lot better off just buying a wrecked s2000 off copart and having at it.
I do fully approve of the swap though!

Just looking at the options really. I've always hugely rated the S2000 engine and I think one of those, with the right bits and fitment would make an exceptionally quick 750KG's race car. I am looking at getting it back out there this year, but more for track fun with a view to some racing in 2016. I am not precious about it being new, just though less than 5K for a brand new lump was fair value. You can pay well over that for the very best rebuild of the 1.6 race engine that delivers circa 145-150bhp.

Nice, would go well in a light car:D

Anyone done one before?

Seems K20s are also an option?

I think one was posted in this or the MX5 thread (not someone on here that did it mind, it was a mk1 iirc)...few in the US and a few over here too. Unlike the V8 conversions it seems like a decent useable power plant that won't upset the dynamics of the car.

I think one was posted in this or the MX5 thread (not someone on here that did it mind, it was a mk1 iirc)...few in the US and a few over here too. Unlike the V8 conversions it seems like a decent useable power plant that won't upset the dynamics of the car.

The cheaper route and probably quicker route is to go turbo charged on the standard engine, but I think something with a 9000rpm limit and nice throttle in something light and tight like a race built MX5, mine is fully caged and built as a race car, would be fantastic fun and well suited. This is a potential project for my father in law. He is a 30 year Rolls Royce engineer, building jet engines, very skilled with engineering and this is something that would be great for him and in turn great for me.

The cheaper route and probably quicker route is to go turbo charged on the standard engine, but I think something with a 9000rpm limit and nice throttle in something light and tight like a race build MX5, mine is fully caged and built as a race car, would be fantastic fun and well suited.

I just meant in terms of changing the engine for the comparison to the V8s rather than 'bolt ons' like turbo or supercharger....which I'm sure you could do to the F20 if you were nuts. :p

E:

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153196&page=1

Last edited:
I just meant in terms of changing the engine for the comparison to the V8s rather than 'bolt ons' like turbo or supercharger....which I'm sure you could do to the F20 if you were nuts. :p

I think 250bhp sort of area is the sweet spot where traction and power are well balanced. I'm not seeking to build it to the championship regulations anymore, I simply want something fun and fast that I can selectively enter in some endurance events in 2016.

HEL Lines arrived, thanks Si @ Hendy. The car is due an MOT and service soon so I'll get them fitted then.

New roof fitted by Jack Smith in Swansea. Few threads here and there on the inside but for the price I can't complain. A massive improvement on my old one which kind of fell apart when it was being taken off.

Look nice, need to head up that way soon myself.
Good to see they look decent for the price. I have a split in mine now which I have glued but need a new one.
Did you have to send him the glass or anything? Heard various stories.

No, he has glass in stock now, so you just turn up once booked.

I'm not going to lie, the roof isn't perfect, few threads here and there, when I look out the rear I can see that the material isn't 100% straight just above the glass. It's stuff you can tidy up yourself easy enough. But it keeps the water out and looks fine from the outside. But I've also read similar stories from other much more expensive fitters. For the price I can't argue, when it falls apart in x years then just get another.

^ Reading that again makes it sound worse than what it is. :)

I think for the price Jack Smith does a fantastic job. It certainly isn't perfect, but it's handmade by him (hence the odd thread here and there) and to a very high standard. I don't think without going OEM you'd get any better... and I prefer mohair. He looks like he's done a nice job Chris. Just don't forget to waterproof it like I did!

No, he has glass in stock now, so you just turn up once booked.

I'm not going to lie, the roof isn't perfect, few threads here and there, when I look out the rear I can see that the material isn't 100% straight just above the glass. It's stuff you can tidy up yourself easy enough. But it keeps the water out and looks fine from the outside. But I've also read similar stories from other much more expensive fitters. For the price I can't argue, when it falls apart in x years then just get another.

^ Reading that again makes it sound worse than what it is. :)

I know what you mean, I've seen a couple in the flesh and it's little things like not all the stitches being completely straight - small stuff like that. As long as you're not an OCD perfectionist, they're well worth it. It's where I would have gone with mine.

Back
Top Bottom