Type R and VTEC owners

And EP3s are still cheap as chips. :(

I don't really see why S2000s have risen so much. Plenty of other cars to choose from for that money (Boxster, Z3, Z4, 350z (almost 370z) etc)?

Can't really compare the S2k to those, its in a different league with a unique character and charm. They will appreciate further as the numbers dry up when people smash em into hedges.

Just fill it up when light comes on. The gauge is a range indicator (hence why it goes back up when you drive slow). The light is when 1.8 gallons left. Easy enough for 20miles

WEll i fill up as soon as light comes on im my dc2. With my driving i get around 240miles out of a tank. Or 370-400km now back on kmh best remod i did those mph->kmh converters are plain **** Speedo is accurate +-5mph with one of those things lol.

I am after some help here. After my post many months ago regarding changing from an Octavia VRS to an ATR, I actually never got round to looking at one even I have been doing quite a bit of research.

It just happen that one of my colleagues at work is trying to sell his ATR and it was a perfect opportunity for me to have a look/get one. He also let me drove it as it should be driven and it seem to be exactly what I want.

It is a W reg pre-face lift with 110K on the clock. He originally wanted £2800 for it but I found a few problems and talked it down to £2300 which seems more reasonable. I told him I am going to think about it over the weekend. Accordr forum would be perfect for asking these questions but I don't want to ask for advise on there because he is a regular member. It would be rude as he has it advertised on there as well (please don't ask the accordr members to look at this thread over here)

Obviously, it is the first one that I have driven so I think I might be thinking with my heart instead of my head, therefore, I will need your help.

Anyway, I found good points and bad points:

Good points:
With aircon and Xenon lights
Interior in very good condition
Paintwork in generally good condition
Cambelt/tensioner/balancer belt done in late 2013
Drop links/RARB bushes just changed
Mongoose exhaust system with de-cat and orignal cat supplied (sounded good)
No apparent problem with the synchro
Engine pulls well with smooth VTEC engagement
Good brand tyres all round
Corrosion seems OK (i.e. no problem with bulkhead)
Quite a few receipts from reputable garages and seem generally looked after

Now, the bad points:
-The car will not restart when warm, the starter motor will turn the car over but stop like it runs out of steam, he already had the battery and earth straps changed so seem like it needs a new starter
-Dent on rear wing (shouldn't be too difficult to sort out)
-Couple of scrapes on the front splitter and I think as a result, the front bumper is a bit loose
-Oil leak from either the rocker cover or distributor oil seal (should be easy to sort out)
-Missing hub cab as he had the alloys sprayed black as he prefers the look without
-Problematic headlight adjusters (common problem)
-Front tyres need changing soon, it also must have been driven quite hard or tracked recently because he had the receipt for the tyres and they were bought in January. He only does 30 miles a day.
-Some small rust patches under front door seals

I am quite happy working with cars myself, in fact, I think it is part of "knowing" a car, the only issue is time as I have young children at home so work on the car normally progress very slowly.

I think I have 3 options:

1. Go for it as is
2. Run
3. Talk him down further on price

Please give me some advise as I might be thinking with my heart instead of my head.

Last edited:
Leave it well alone and look elsewhere!

Problem is there are not many of them left. It is quite difficult to find good condition ones and there are much worse ones out there as well (a bit lower in price though). Is there any particular reason why this one should be left alone?

Try and knock him down a bit if you want but I personally think you're being a bit picky. It's a 2300 quid 15 year old Honda. What were you expecting? Mint showroom condition? :/

Not really, I am quite happy with the bodywork/interior in general. I think I might want to knock the price down a bit further but I am just after a second opinion.

However, it's the starter motor that I am a bit worry about as it could get expensive. I am worried if it is not starter motor related. The rest are easy jobs to "tidy up" in my opinion.

My CRX used to not start when warm. It was the main relay. £15.

I'm not saying go and buy it, I just think with a budget of 2k you need to expect to get something that needs attention.

New OHLINS arrived for S2000, got them set up to recomended specs ready to go on the car:

343p212.jpg

Upon opening the box i noticed damage to the thread on one of the shocks, unsure if to send it back or ask for some sort of discount etc, i was going to install them in the morning.

snzcjn.jpg

ok so just got home after a long day of installing the coilovers at work since theirs more space to play with and could get the car inside out of the rain in the factory, first initial thoughts are, i am amazed, completely different car, not had any alignment done yet, but its incredible the difference it has made, i am completely blown away!

on the drive home i noticed a vibration that is heard and felt through the steering wheel at speeds above 45mph when i turn right, no noise or vibration on a right turn bellow 40mph, got home and had a quick look with a full right lock on the wheel and cant see anything that could be rubbing etc, so im not sure whats going on! Any advice would be appreciated, never had the noise before.

no noise or vibration on a left turn at any speed.

Also both rear shocks turned out to be leaking, not just one side like i had initially thought!

Do you know if you have any seized bushes? Fitting suspension shouldn't affect alignment too much as it's a pretty straightforward job.

Not got any seized bushes anymore, when i bought the car the rear end was fully seized, so i cut them all out on my drive and replaced them all!

so i spent the morning with the car jacked up measuring all the springs and lengths etc as i noticed it was not sitting right, i undid all bolts again and put them back under tension, also noticed i had not tightend the front drivers side brake hose properly to the strut, so i had hoped the noise was something to do with that, took it for a spin, and still got the horrible noise.

Decided out of desperation to give it some welly and spanked it a few times around some tight turns, and the noise has now completely gone! so if in doubt, give her a good spank ;)

Back
Top Bottom