Type R and VTEC owners

Stop tempting me with Ohlins, pretty much set on some when my suspension dies.
W204SLA

Having thought about it a bit, I think I am happy with doing the work, the only thing is the price. They fluctuate so much I am not sure if £2300 is the "right" price.

From the description it sounds similar to my old one.

They're getting on now, you'll be hard pushed to find a perfect example. For the price you can't grumble.

Honestly mate its the best money i have ever spent on a car EVER, the difference is that good, its softer to ride on and bumps are less pronounced at the recommended damper rates, which could be a lot lot softer if i wanted it to be, its transformed my car, cant see how an alignment could make it any better its that good as it is.

Replacing leaking dampers with brand new OEM ones would also have a good effect!

Don't get too OTT, you have replace a failed, safety critical, part of the car with working ones.

From the description it sounds similar to my old one.

They're getting on now, you'll be hard pushed to find a perfect example. For the price you can't grumble.

That's what I thought, I am going to tell him tomorrow morning that I am having it.

Even it was only a short drive, I can't believe how good it was.

The only other Type-R I have driven was the championship white edition FN2. The ride on that is bone shatteringly hard which put me off.

The ATR is much more comfortable in comparison while the chassis still give really good feedback. Couldn't really try out the handling properly but I am sure it will be good. The engine/exhaust sounds great and the Vtec engagement is addictive. Although it was hard to keep it in Vtec between gears, I think I will have a good time driving it and bringing it back to good condition.

Can any S2000/DC5 Owners [looking at you richyfingers & Chris] give me an overview of what its like to own both and which you prefer?

Hard to compare the two as they are so different.

The S2000 was an amazing car in certain situations. When you got the roof down in nice weather and had the opportunity for a good drive somewhere I loved it. Felt like a bit of an event. Having said that I never really felt at total ease with the handling, it may be down to my lack of skill but I've previously owned a 350z and whilst it definitely felt the heavier car it felt more stable and less snappy. When pushing on in the S2000 I always felt on edge. The rest of the time I found it a bit impractical and it irritated me. I'd say as a weekend car it would be perfect but my funds would not allow for that. Running costs, only realy issue I had was a leaky roof, think the seals had gone, only really happened when the car had been sitting for a while during rain. Tried the shin etsu grease but had no joy and sold it before doing anything about it. Other than that it had no issues.

To me the DC5 is an amazing car in pretty much all situations, handling is sublime, looks good, sounds good, plenty of space and practical. The recaros are just the best seats ever. Cant say I really miss the RWD aspect. It is a bit more of a harsher ride over crappy roads than the S2000 but its bearable. I also needed a usable boot for two dogs. It is just a nicer more refined version of the DC2 I had and I have extremely fond memories of that car.

To me the DC5 does pretty much everything I want / need in a car, it's exciting and makes me feel like a big kid driving it.

24mrmup.jpg

I'm not an S2000 fan but that looks great! :)

Probably showing my age a bit but I'm loving how soft the OE suspension is on the S2k. What is the ride like with the Ohlins, in terms of a normal drive, rather than a spirited drive?

Just feels a lot better all around, even at slow speeds it feels smoother to me, just a completely different car, but as the other guy said maybe it feels so much better/different because of the fact both my rear shocks were leaking? I have always felt uneasy driving the car, but i put that down to the fact it was my first rear wheel drive car, but the confidence has gone through the roof now with the OHLINS

Well i fitted Konis to mine and now it makes tea for me.

Also I replaced a clutch once, that was like driving a new car. No more slipping at gearchanges - I was amazed! ;)

Well i fitted Konis to mine and now it makes tea for me.

Also I replaced a clutch once, that was like driving a new car. No more slipping at gearchanges - I was amazed! ;)

No need to be like that... I have not really driven another s2000 properly so all i have ever known for the last year has been how the car used to handle, which in comparison was poorly, i guess the only way for me to know now is to drive another s2k that is completely stock but with no issues to compare, all i can go off is what it felt like before, and what it feels like now, and as i have said its an incredible difference, and i see no reason to mess with the damper settings.

I've not long picked up the car from Performance Autoworks. It was booked in for two jobs, firstly fit the newly acquired Mugen intake. A lot of closed box intakes for the S2000, including the Mugen, aim to take cold air from further forward than the OEM one, but to do this unfortunately a small bit has to be cut out of the bonnet. I had briefly thought about doing this myself, then I came to my senses and I booked it in for a professional to do. I'm very pleased with the results, the bit where it's been cut has been painted and made to look nice. I can only image what devastation I may have caused!

Fitted:

ClmbmqK.jpg

The cut on the bonnet:

imUVlZE.jpg

I'm pleased with the sound, it's quite subtle until VTEC cuts in. One thing that annoyed me about the Gruppe M on my DC5 (and EP3's) is that it's very boomy at WOT at lower RPM. The mugen isn't, it's only a little louder than OEM. However when VTEC cuts in it turns into a nice subtle growl. I wanted a new intake because all of the noise was previously from the rear of the car (not surprising with a race manifold and Fujitsubo exhaust combined with the OEM intake) and this fits the bill nicely. If I had to complain about one thing, then I'd say it could do with being a touch louder, but it's early days yet.

Unfortunately, I've just uploaded a new base map so I'm stuck with part throttle only to datalog before I can start flooring it again. So far so good though, the car has a nice balanced sound to it. Although saying that I've only driven it with the roof down which increases exhaust noise a lot.

The kit was missing a fitting bracket, but a new one was made by Rich and the intake itself is solid under the bonnet.

The second job was to fit a spacer to the passenger side engine mount, in order to stop the J's Racing manifold touching the steering column when turning left. This seems to have cured it completely, so all in all a very productive day.

Back
Top Bottom