Type R and VTEC owners

**** me it DOES NEED THIS to even look descent...
$T2eC16ZHJIkE9qU3k7GiBRdVzCpF6!~~60_12.JPG

Remember when they used these on MCM made me laugh so much :D

I don't know why this continues to surprise and/or upset people. The last good looking CTR was the EK9 which was designed 18 years ago.

amirite muff?

FD2 wasn't bad! Certainly better than the EP3 and FN2 in my opinion!

In other news, oil filter arrived this morning so oil change is on the cards after the weekend! :)

Thinking about going for a Type R Civic soon, budget around £5-7k max really, can i get a good buy for that (preferrably the newer shape, not latest ofcourse :D)

What do i need to look out for When buying one? Many known issues etc? I imagine around my price range im looking at having about 40,000 miles + on the clock

Ta :)

FN2 generation suffers from rust on the leading edge of the roof I believe. Worth checking the trim/seal that runs along it or asking if it has been done by Honda already - there was a recall regarding this I believe, but depended on certain warranties being in place? I'm not overly sure on it, but I'm sure someone will correct!

Other than that, standard things like rust on arches, good service history etc.

Honestly, Evo IV's are more hassle than they're worth. Unless the engine has been swapped out with a later Evo's engine, or had preventative work to stop crankwalk, then don't even consider it. This is exactly the reason why Evo V's are nearly twice the price of Evo IV's.

Just a quick question, got my car booked in for a service and i am providing my own oil for honda to use, i am having a Honda 12 service, which is £175, plus valve clearance which is £100, plus £35 for MOT, which is what was quoted on the phone, would the £175 include their oil? so if i provide my own i should get more discount? i only ask as when i booked in i told them i am bringing my own oil and he still quoted £310? i could ring and ask i guess, but just wondering if anyone knew!

I was under the impression that the service charge does include materials, in the same way that the standard £100 for valve clearances includes a new cam cover gasket. Might be worth enquiring further. I know some main dealers (Honda especially) don't like it if you supply the parts anyway.

I was under the impression that the service charge does include materials, in the same way that the standard £100 for valve clearances includes a new cam cover gasket. Might be worth enquiring further. I know some main dealers (Honda especially) don't like it if you supply the parts anyway.

i asked them on the phone if it was ok and he said it was fine, but then after he told me the price i looked it up online and seems im still being charged full price even though i am providing my own oil, i will query it on the day with them, i guess around £50 off would be acceptable? or if they refuse, i guess i can just ask for the oil they would have used and sell it on lol

Last edited:
I'd try to query it before the day comes, otherwise you might still get charged the full amount with the "what are you going to do?" attitude. I think most Honda places use Shell Helix 5w40 now, so just find a trade price for it and ask for a similar amount off the biill, at least that's what I'd be doing. :)

Just a quick question, got my car booked in for a service and i am providing my own oil for honda to use, i am having a Honda 12 service, which is £175, plus valve clearance which is £100, plus £35 for MOT, which is what was quoted on the phone, would the £175 include their oil? so if i provide my own i should get more discount? i only ask as when i booked in i told them i am bringing my own oil and he still quoted £310? i could ring and ask i guess, but just wondering if anyone knew!

Some dealers don't accept own oil. Some don't mind and knock the price of oil off the service.

my last service [60k, the big one], they used my Castrol Turbo Diesel oil without question. knocked me £50 off the quote.

@ honda crewe.

while i had my wheels off i noticed this:

14y38th.jpg

Guess i need some new tyres then :< camskill seem to show that they have the RE050 Potenza Bridgestone RE 050 - 215/45 R17 87W (MZ) TL in stock at a seemingly very cheap £76.90 so might go and order those unless anyone else has any other ideas? i cant seem to find the MZ rear ones for the s2k, so not sure what i will replace the rears with once the time comes.

Last edited:
"The law requires car tyres to have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm in a continuous band around the central three quarters of the tyre"

Looks like there's 2.5-3mm on those but most manufacturers suggest replacing at 3mm

"The law requires car tyres to have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm in a continuous band around the central three quarters of the tyre"

Looks like there's 2.5-3mm on those but most manufacturers suggest replacing at 3mm

So even though they have worn down completely on the inner edge? as in the edge you cannot see unless you full lock your wheel they should still pass? :eek:

Yes.

On s2ki you are complaining about the MZ that you just had fitted. The ones with release agent on and not scrubbed in.

My Rears have now done about 1.5k miles and they feel good again rather than the wobbly unstable things they were when fitted . I think worn fronts and new rears take some scrubbing in before it feels 'normal' again on an s2000 as they seem to be very fickle about tyres

So if this is the case. I don't know how you can comment on the grip of this is your only experience of MZ. If you knew they are 'low grip' before this, why did you get them fitted ?

Back
Top Bottom