Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
I'll have to see what happens when I get back, a few of my mates keep saying I'll regret it too...

I really want to get it lowered asap if I keep it, it's mainly aesthetics I won't deny it. I've never had a car for this long with such an arch gap! :D

I've driven a friends with kpro, think vtec was set to kick in at about 4500 and it did make it a lot more urgent. He had some other bits done inc manifold, decat etc and it was RR'd at 246BHP so pretty quick! Maybe I should just bite the bullet and invest in K100 and an induction kit... I'll have to budget 1300 quid probably to do the above inc lowering and alignment.

I do love it but miss a bit of turbo shove thats all :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
is it just me that doesn't see the point in lowering an ep3? The car is low enough as standard.

getting rid of an ep3 for a focus st is a pretty bad move imo. The fuel consumption is a little worse in the real world, the handling has nothing on a sorted ep3 either.

@TaKeN, an FN2 is certainly a good move for toys and modern comforts, but spending 10k on an FN2 is a bit daft. I would be looking at a 7-8k example personally. its the same car so why spend more for a newer plate? I personally don't like the ride in the FN2. its far too stiff.

A torsion bar was a massively stupid addition imho

Soldato
The problem RJK is that towards that price bracket all you find are Non FHSH cars with Budget tyres :(

Nothing wrong with the Torsion Bar on my Peugeot 306 tbh. But I've yet to actually drive the FN2 :p

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
The problem RJK is that towards that price bracket all you find are Non FHSH cars with Budget tyres :(

Nothing wrong with the Torsion Bar on my Peugeot 306 tbh. But I've yet to actually drive the FN2 :p

a torsion bar is a big change from IRS imo

I drove an EP3 and an FN2 on the same day which helped me make my mind up properly. I don't particularly like the look of the FN2 in honesty but i thought as you did; 'its newer so must be better'

the main thing I found was that the EP3 doesn't feel so harsh when driving normally. going over bumps in the road is surprising in an EP3 as it doesnt shake the whole car around. when I drove the same road in an FN2 [both cars were from the same dealership] the FN2 felt more rigid and was arguably less forgiving.

I have noticed this again when Andrew Moore got his FN2 at work, both cars feel similar but his FN2 was arguably more rigid and harsh then my EP3 on bumpy roads

this is something you may not notice too much but it depends how many EP3s you have driven and how many FN2s you intend on driving I guess

i see where you are coming from about an fn2 being bottom of the market at that price range, but you can get earlier models for much cheaper.

If your heart is set on an FN2 still after driving one, then I reckon it would be a better idea to get an earlier one as there is no major changes that warrant spending more money.

Soldato
It took me a while to get used to thrashing it to get moving after coming from a torquey diesel but I thought that was the whole point of owning a CTR? Makes driving more fun and I know I would certainly miss the sound of the k20 if I sold it.

Soldato
As a side note, and it's obvious to most but not all but an FN2 with 19" Rages is a LOT harsher than the 18's. It's not uncommon to see for sale threads with people wanting to sell rages for the OEM 18's.

Soldato
anyone driven a 55 plate era Type-S and EP3 Type-R ? just wondered how much stiffer the Type-R is ?

my wife recently bought (well I chose it) a Type-S and I've been rather impressed with it, suspension is stiff but pliable, corners MUCH flatter than my MB6 but can break-away a bit more unexpectadly

Fuel economy not too bad either, town 31 ish, A-roads around peak-district driving quite hard it averaged 36mpg and on motorway we manage 41

aiming to get a test drive of an EP3 ASAP - as my MB6 is on its last legs (159.9k miles atm)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I will test drive one before I buy.

It's worth Noting that all FN2s after May 2010?? IIRC.. Come with LSD's RJK :)

I didn't know that, but I hardly think it would transform what is in my opinion a flawed platform from the off.

Give it a go, will be interesting to hear your views on the car

Soldato
I have to agree with RJK that a standard FN2 is flawed. I'm only truly loving mine since the modifications I've had done but that isn't an option for everyone, nor do some people want to modify.

Back
Top Bottom