Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
I'm tempted to buy a CTR 52plate from someone local for £2700 but it's done 112k miles... should this be put me off?

It has a full service history apparently and new brakes... I've yet to see it though.

Anything obvious to look for and is this a fair price if I shouldn't avoid one with this milage?

Thanks,

G

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Worse than a Focus ST

poppycock. a focus ST is much thirstier than an EP3. However I have seen Ross quoting circa 30mpg from his ST before so I guess its all relative.
the EP3 has a 6th gear which is superb for economy on a run.

my MPG stats:

Best Fuel Consumption: 29.64
Worst Fuel Consumption: 21.22
Average Fuel Consumption: 25.09

Average miles per week: 232
Average fuel costs per week: £59.65

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I seldom achieved over 210 miles from a full tank in my EP3. I hammered it on a daily basis of 30 and 60 roads (8 miles each way) but I didn't get much more on a run. That said, who cares. The EP3 has the capacity to achieve decent MPG whereas the ST is a much thirstier car all round. Whether you can achieve that MPG depends on whether you care enough to drive it below the extra 50bhp VTEC changeover and keep within the optimum 3-4krpm in gear revs at your desired speed to achieve such economy. It's not very fun to drive that way, but if you can save the madness for the weekend then it's fairly economical.

My MX5 is less economical. 21mpg! :/

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I'm tempted to buy a CTR 52plate from someone local for £2700 but it's done 112k miles... should this be put me off?

It has a full service history apparently and new brakes... I've yet to see it though.

Anything obvious to look for and is this a fair price if I shouldn't avoid one with this milage?

Thanks,

G

price seems about right in honesty.

I would aim for 2500, especially with the miles.

I would be looking at the history of the car, asking to see the service history in full as well as asking when the valve clearances were checked etc.

i think it was Stormster on here who did a superb guide to buying one.

Soldato
price seems about right in honesty.

I would aim for 2500, especially with the miles.

I would be looking at the history of the car, asking to see the service history in full as well as asking when the valve clearances were checked etc.

i think it was Stormster on here who did a superb guide to buying one.

Thanks :) Although I don't know what checking the valve clearances means :confused:

Soldato
poppycock. a focus ST is much thirstier than an EP3. However I have seen Ross quoting circa 30mpg from his ST before so I guess its all relative.

I only quote from the Road Trip app, which appears to be quite accurate. Maybe my "urban" drive isn't as urban as most peoples. Or I have a one off ST that isn't as fuel guzzling as reports suggest.

Many have accused me of lying (not saying you have), but what do I benefit from lying? If I can get 30 from a few tanks in an ST, one would assume my driving style + roads I use, I could see 35 in an EP3?

The car never sees motorway roads, but it's happy to cruise at 40 in 6th on the roads I often drive on.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Thanks :) Although I don't know what checking the valve clearances means :confused:

I cant find the link, give this thread a read through and look for posts by Stormster [he has a silver EP3 as his signature pic ;)]

I only quote from the Road Trip app, which appears to be quite accurate. Maybe my "urban" drive isn't as urban as most peoples. Or I have a one off ST that isn't as fuel guzzling as reports suggest.

Many have accused me of lying (not saying you have), but what do I benefit from lying? If I can get 30 from a few tanks in an ST, one would assume my driving style + roads I use, I could see 35 in an EP3?

The car never sees motorway roads, but it's happy to cruise at 40 in 6th on the roads I often drive on.

my stats are taken from Fuel log. which is fairly accurate. i would imagine your urban drive isnt 'sat at a standstill for 20 mins+ a week' like most peoples will be.

I always find it incredible when you do quote your mpg figures as I have a friend with an ST [admittedly, pre facelift not sure if that makes a big difference] who suffers significantly worse mpg than myself. Using the same app as myself, he has recorded lows of 17mpg on a spirited run :o

Soldato
I always find it incredible when you do quote your mpg figures as I have a friend with an ST [admittedly, pre facelift not sure if that makes a big difference] who suffers significantly worse mpg than myself. Using the same app as myself, he has recorded lows of 17mpg on a spirited run :o

Incredible it may be, but this is my log since I started using the app in November. My main commute is for work 5 days a week, granted I rarely do standstill driving, so traffic usually is steady flowing early morning. My worst reading have been in the winter, when I leave the car idle whilst the windows de-ice.

I have logged 8 months worth of data. Covered 6,272 miles in those 8 months, at an average of 784 miles per month.

My lowest MPG: 25.53
My average MPG: 28.56
My best MPG: 33.84

f0574c2c.jpg

I had a "very spirited run" on Sunday with a few friends. And need to fill up today or tomorrow, so I will have more data on that to come.

Soldato
Thats pretty good for an ST!

Thanks.

The reason I ask for real life figures for the EP3, is that are 30+ figures achievable? I'm toying with the idea of selling ST, and buying EP3 for a few reasons, mainly to free up some money to improve my savings. Plus I have a feeling the ST is going to depreciate like mad over the next year or two.

However the running costs are going to be on par, which is fine. But the EP3 insurance is a tad bit more than the ST. So I was wondering if that could be recouped in the savings made at the pump?

It's a shame the EP3 has been tarnished with boy racers, as it's a brilliant car. A favourite of mine for a long time. A true drivers car, which should have only been acquired by enthusiasts, rather than MC Dave who attends the local McDonalds every evening with his pals and there done up Corsas...

Looks like the ST is starting to fall into the price bracket for these type of people now too. It saddens me, it really does.

Soldato
Thanks.

The reason I ask for real life figures for the EP3, is that are 30+ figures achievable? I'm toying with the idea of selling ST, and buying EP3 for a few reasons, mainly to free up some money to improve my savings. Plus I have a feeling the ST is going to depreciate like mad over the next year or two.

From what I've seen it does seem to be.

Good figures from your ST though.

I can average 35MPG in my DC2 on a Motorway run with a good amount of VTEC fun, but dirivng around town in stop start traffic all the time takes it down to 25MPG.

Caporegime
I thought it could possibly give me a close reading. :p

If the app doesn't know the amount of fuel you've used it won't give you a figure. If you only fill up to half and tell the app it was a proper fill up you'll end up with a abnormally high mpg figure.

Last edited:
Soldato
FWIW I have managed 36mpg from my EP3, driving sedately (no VTEC at all, RPM kept as low as possible) and sticking to no more than 75mph on DCWs and motorways. The previous owner managed an incredible 42mpg, but that was sticking to a maximum of 60mph on a long DCW trip with minimal start/stop town use. I don't have the patience to achieve that!

My mpg has fallen as I got more used to the car and became bored of economy driving, I now tend to get about 33mpg on my commute, which is doing 85-90mph on the DCW and the odd bit of VTEC through the lanes. Lowest on my commute so far is 29mpg and that was thrashing it pretty hard. I'm lucky in that I have relatively little bad traffic to deal with, and I suspect any significant town driving would give significantly worse figures than this.

Back
Top Bottom