UEFA Euro 2012 - Group D - ** spoilers ** (England, France, Sweden, Ukraine)

Associate
All four of those people in the ITV studio, not one of them smiles, ever. They're all so serious and miserable. No jokes, nothing. And that roy keane, always looks like he's about to murder someone. The BBC presentation by comparison is a far more entertaining and light hearted watch.

This is the first ITV coverage of a major tournament that I prefer over the beeb. I honestly can't understand why shearer is there on a EURO/MOTD chair, he is awful. Personally the only entertainment he has brought was when he had a pop at barton on the last day of the season, the subsequent response from barton about the pundits dress code, his boot into lennons face and the threats to the FA, were comedy gold.

Hansen, same **** different week, "it had everything passion, drama, bad refereeing, bad defending"

Dixon/keown are most enjoyable

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Well, the ball over the line thing was justice because it was completely offside anyway.

England were pretty rubbish today and made Ukraine look a decent side. However, we topped the group and avoid spain so wahay!!! :D

Soldato
He played reasonably well otherwise - but Cole was stupid for the yellow card, especially given how tough the q-f is going to be (yes , maybe it will be easier than facing Spain, but its still going to be mighty difficult for England to get a win against Italy), what was even more stupid was how long AC took to take the next throw in after being booked (about 2 mins later)

thought Gerrard was a bit stupid for going in with his elbow like he did too

Ashley Young did better tonight too (although admittedly he couldnt have got worse than against Sweden lol)

Lucky to get away with a win against a poor side (even if their goal was offside, it wasnt given as such - and even then they had some other decent chances).

England did ok overall, but against any 1/2 decent team it still looks likely they could conceed 2 or 3 without stretching the imagination

Man of Honour
Seen him take a couple and looked decent to me, it's always a tough call because you don't often get to see most players take pens. E.g. the likes of Wellbeck, no idea if he'd be good or not.

Soldato

That's brilliant.
The Ukrainian fans must be doing their nut!
As an England fan, I'm feeling a little embarrassed by that (non) goal.

Personally though, I would use the argument which someone earlier in this thread used - I'm watching this on a 20 year old TV, but to me the goal didnt cross the line. :D

Soldato
What I find shocking is that in 2012, goal line technology is not being used. I can only think that perhaps the powers that be like the idea of human error being able to change the result of match.

For me, goal line technology is a no-brainer. The mind boggles as to why it is not introduced.

Man of Honour
Magnificent performance by England in all 3 games.

Guys remember that we didn't qualify in 2008 and 2010 as a total disaster.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Magnificent? England got through and topped the group, that's as much or more than could/should reasonably have been expected but although I didn't watch every minute of the matches none of the performances could reasonably be described as magnificent - professional or proficient enough are perhaps closer to the truth.

It's not intended as a criticism of England per se, simply that setting hyperbole to stun probably isn't merited at this point in time. I don't think any of the teams thus far has been magnificent, maybe moments of greatness but none are head and shoulders above the rest based on what I've seen.

Hahahahaha! Don't forget we have a French moderator!

Gilly won't be pleased that you're calling him French... ;)

Freefaller stepped down a while back for a bit of a break.

The assistant referee/linesman was about 10 feet from the post, ON THE LINE and didn't so much as raise an arm. Therefore, NO GOAL. Simple as.

I wouldn't be too convinced that it's the most conclusive proof - the assistant referees miss things too (a penalty for Croatia on Monday night being a recent example). They might have been spot on in this case but it's hardly conclusive to look to them for evidence.

I'm aware the rule now is that there must be daylight between the ball and the line to rule it a goal and I've not see a picture clear enough to show that level of detail but on the night it certainly looked as if the ball was over the line. It's an irrelevance now to a certain extent as it wasn't given (why no goal line video replays FIFA/UEFA?) and England would go through regardless but I'd be interested to see anyway.

Associate
They was offside in the build up to that goal anyway. So if they did have goal line technology and allowed the goal it would then be the English fans ranting.

Soldato
They was offside in the build up to that goal anyway. So if they did have goal line technology and allowed the goal it would then be the English fans ranting.

unfortunately, this incident just happens to lend support to the reason fifa/uefa have given in the past for not having the sort of technology introduced into the game, where do you draw the line :(.

with goaline technology, it would have been given, as they wouldn't have checked or seen for the offside.

Back
Top Bottom