Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me (I've not followed club football at the high levels for years), why Saka was being pushed in the England team all this tournament? Everytime I've seen him play in the games he's lost the ball.

Why wasn't Sterling chosen to take a penelty?

He doesn't take them as a rule.

These forwards are always actually worse at pens. They put too much pressure on themselves because scoring goals is what they are supposed to do well. Midfielders and defenders are better penalty takers.

Can anyone explain to me (I've not followed club football at the high levels for years), why Saka was being pushed in the England team all this tournament? Everytime I've seen him play in the games he's lost the ball.

Why wasn't Sterling chosen to take a penelty?

He's a massive talent, very versatile player who excels in every position he's asked to play. He's single handedly carried Arsenal's attack for most of the season. He's had a solid tournament and is usually one of the best performers when he plays for England. He had a stinker today and shouldn't have been in the first 5 to take a pen.

Rashford pen is also example of penalties I can't stand, doing a pointless fancy run up to then miss.

It's simple place the shot, high low etc, doing this fancy run up to the ball achieves nothing

Lets face it the better team won, 1 shot on target in 120mins and Southgate did **** all to change it, then he tried to be clever by putting subs on for penalties and both of them missed. Pickford saved 2 penalties and we still ****** it up.
Italy were 100% the better team, but...

...England were hamstrung by Southgate, and could have done a lot better.

Everybody calling Southgate a tactical genius can now kindly shut the hell up.

Southgate is a terrible manager/tactician and always has been.

Somewhat doesn't feel as bad with how the England fans have behaved inside and outside the stadiums in the last few games especially.

Just dont get why we're so bad at taking penalties. It's beyond a meme at this point. Surely they must spend hours practicing them.

Why? He's just lost the tournament with the strongest squad. He was gifted a route to the final (apart from a far from prime Germany team) and still couldn't see it over the line.

Anyone could see the pressure building and did nothing to change it.
Its a tough one, he did well up until this point. But the writing was on the wall in the final after 30 minutes and ultimately he did nothing to change it until extra time.

It must feel awful for players who've broken their backs for 120mins to see Rashford and Sancho put on with 2mins left only to take half arsed penalties.

Somewhat doesn't feel as bad with how the England fans have behaved inside and outside the stadiums in the last few games especially.

Just dont get why we're so bad at taking penalties. It's beyond a meme at this point. Surely they must spend hours practicing them.

Italy probably spend hours more. Plus their keeper is better.

Oh please hes the only manager to get us within touching distance of a trophy for decades.

Have you seen our squad. Strongest in the competition and we played like the most budget team in the competition. ******* disgraceful tactics from the manager.

This is the strongest, most balanced side we have had in decades, we played all but one game at home and had the easiest draw we will ever have to win a Euros.

Suppose our performance in the last WC was great too.

But no, Southgate has been great :rolleyes:

Only one with the balls to do it it seems

As soon as we got to 60 minutes and they were spanking us for fun I said to the mrs, "if we don't make 3 changes now we're done for". She turned, nodded and said, "but he won't will he." "We then sipped our beers in quiet lamentation as that catastrophe unfolded. And all the BBC pundits now doing their "it's a cruel game (wtf just happened?)" routine when they've been saying how "Southgate got it so right all tournament long" and now suddenly, it's not what we did wrong or could - should - have done differently, it's just "ah that's so cruel". You make your own destiny and if you sit back and in the words of itv "stick when you need to twist" then you reap the results of that. Gutting, but it;s been overdue since Scotland so meh.

This on the pitch circle huddle certainly seems to have become a thing in this tournament, see most teams doing it now, reminds me a lot of what theyve done in the NFL for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom