Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Southgate manage to get it so wrong in the final when he got lucky everything so right up until now.

He choose the penalty takers. :(
fixed that for you. Some see what they want to see because of what the outcome would therefore be. Others see what is actually happening.

Southgate's biggest strength is his achilles heel. He decides a system and is convinced by his tactical assessment. but he is scared of adjusting it on the fly. I suspect due to loss-aversion, or the footie equivalent of FOMO. What if I change it too soon, but it was the right idea and it just needed more time..." so the indecision becomes inertia and becomes, through inaction, effectively a decision to not make changes. And so we clatter to a statelmate and the lottery of pens. The irony being the fear of making the wrong call, or making it too soon, means he always makes it far far too late. We saw it in 2018, we saw it against Scotland, we saw it against Denmark (but we got a flukey pen call) and now we see it again in a final. There's nothing left to lose. Go hard or go home FFS. And we limp home a sorry bunch. Glad I'm not in the city tonight. Eeesh there's going to be trouble I bet.

It was as good an effort as I've seen Kane making really (for England). I won't personally fault the players I thought they did well with what they had to work with for the most part. But Italy was playing a very conventional game - a good manager should have battered them with the quality of players we have.

He didn't even have a shot at goal.

In the past I'd say half of them would have been English.

The team with Owen, Gerrard, emerging Rooney, lampard ect was the best English side and didn't even get close to these lot.

U can also try and name the best 11 seria A players and not many are Italian too...

Please in 2002 world cup we lost to Brazil, 2004 Portugal on penalties, 2006 Portugal on penalties. Plus we played proper tough teams in our group games. Yes we lost but not because we were bad but because we had red cards or injuries to players like prime Rooney.

Both in 18 and today we have lost to big teams at the first hurdle and only beaten small countries getting super easy draws.

Euro 96 we beat Holland and Spain and narrowly missed out on the Semi to Germany on penalties despite playing the better game over 90 minutes and we scored all 5 of the first! If only Gazza had worn bigger boots!

Tonight pretty much since half time it was totally one way traffic from Italy due to a proper manager Mancini reacting and sorting us out. Gareth was just going through his Btec play book on what to do. No clue what so ever.

Italian players do not even compare to the squad England have yet a proper manager got the best out of them.

An Italian-American friend and her son are in Amsterdam for a long weekend, she WhatsApped me about 15 minutes before the end of normal time, to say that due to Covid restrictions they couldn’t get into a bar or pub there to see the game.
I told her to relax, it was 1-1 and Italy were all over England like a rash.
She just WhatsApped to say that they went back to their hotel and watched extra time and the penalties in one of their rooms, then she apologised for Italy’s victory.
I said that it was okay, England are used to losing big games.

Yup. Italy only scored three of five and we still lost before sudden death.

That's really poor. Not scoring three in a row...uergh
Southgate must also know that when you bring players on to take penalties the pressure on them is massively ramped up.

If he doesn't know that, he's a complete moron.

If you're brought on to take a pen then you *must* score.

It's one of the stupidest ways to use a substitute imaginable. I guess that's why you didn't see any other team using that particular tactical masterstroke.

I feel sorry for Saka but some of the other senior players should be insisting to step up before him… but they didn’t. Oh well, got one step further than the last competition - maybe next time eh!

Did the players choose or did Southgate select the penalty takers in advance? Because it looks like it was the latter to me with him bringing Rashford and Sancho on in the final minutes of extra time.

Southgate must also know that when you bring players on to take penalties the pressure on them is massively ramped up.

If he doesn't know that, he's a complete moron.

If you're brought on to take a pen then you *must* score.

It's one of the stupidest ways to use a substitute imaginable.

Yep. I reckon someone Ilike Shaw would have smashed one home without much drama.

In the past I'd say half of them would have been English.

The team with Owen, Gerrard, emerging Rooney, lampard ect was the best English side and didn't even get close to these lot.

U can also try and name the best 11 seria A players and not many are Italian too...

Lol

The 2 centre halves and GK would be Italian then you have barella and immobile. A vital spine at the back.

England team you have walker, sterling and Kane. Any team with Maguire and stones at the back will always be shaky. I don't care what anyone says chiellini and bonucci at 50 years old would be in my team before them. England were very lucky not to come up against anyone of any real quality. World cup will show them the door far sooner next year.

Did the players choose or did Southgate select the penalty takers in advance? Because it looks like it was the latter to me with him bringing Rashford and Sancho on in the final minutes of extra time.

Which would be even worse because the more senior players have more experience with high pressure situations. I would never have the youngest players stepping up unless it was so far into sudden death you didn’t have any option.

An Italian-American friend and her son are in Amsterdam for a long weekend, she WhatsApped me about 15 minutes before the end of normal time, to say that due to Covid restrictions they couldn’t get into a bar or pub there to see the game.
I told her to relax, it was 1-1 and Italy were all over England like a rash.
She just WhatsApped to say that they went back to their hotel and watched extra time and the penalties in one of their rooms, then she apologised for Italy’s victory.
I said that it was okay, England are used to losing big games.

Then what?

I wouldn't believe it. Mostly it's just hyperbole.

If you are playing football at this level, in any position, you can strike the ball cleanly and take a decent penalty.

Don't believe that at all in afraid. In a game like this even the most experienced players must feel like it's their first penalty. That's disregarding the fact that no one puts more pressure and criticism on an international squad then we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom