UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubbish again from England today, no urgency or desire.

Team was set up wrong and the use of subs were awful, we took off Foden who was our best player up till that point then played sterling out of position on the right when we had natural right winger in sancho. Would have stuck Calvert Lewin up front with Kane and brought off one of the holder players instead of a like for like with an out of form rashford. No need to even start with 2 holder players against opposition like Scotland. Absolutely hopeless.

Felt sorry for my non football loving family. Persuaded them to watch that rubbish.

I would argue that Southgate has a responsibility to entertain as regular performances like that will see Wembley just as full when restrictions are lifted.

Scotland no chance of qualifying for knockouts IMO as England will probably play for and get a draw even if Scotland manage to win.

England out in first knock out round.

Negativity in football is a waste of time

I think it sums things up when interviewing the players after the match and also the Croatia game that they keep talking about getting out of the group, they should be saying our goal is to win the tournament not get out of a group which is pretty much a given with the format and the teams in our group.

Just listening to Southgate he’s all about not losing this and not losing that, a point might scrape qualification etc.

He’s a negative loser. Wet fish that should’ve been binned off 3 years ago.

Ultimately that translates to the team on the pitch, it’s undeniable.

Just listening to Southgate he’s all about not losing this and not losing that, a point might scrape qualification etc.

100%.

That really was a horrendous performance, I mean really, just dreadful.

Felt sorry for my non football loving family. Persuaded them to watch that rubbish.

I would argue that Southgate has a responsibility to entertain as regular performances like that will see Wembley just as full when restrictions are lifted.

Scotland no chance of qualifying for knockouts IMO as England will probably play for and get a draw even if Scotland manage to win.

England out in first knock out round.

Negativity in football is a waste of time

Why do Scotland have "no chance"? If we beat Croatia then the England result doesn't matter a jot as we would be put in against the other 3rd place teams; if we beat Croatia then the head to head decide who finishes ahead (we would finish ahead of Croatia if we beat them)

Proud of the Scotland team tonight though; great performance and if we had better strikers I think we would have sneaked it; England though look way off being anywhere near winning the tournament.

Already a bit of a Twitter buzz calling for Grealish, Sancho, DCL and Saka to start next match.

Fat chance with that idiot in charge.
Not a dogs chance. Southgate can 5 substitutions so he takes off Foden the only player who offered anything when going forwards and Kane a centre-forward that's getting no service so replaces him with another centre-forward :rolleyes: and fails to make use of the other 3. So that only leads me to draw a conclusion that Southgate thought that the options he had on the bench were no better then what was on the field already!

All the other teams looked like they had recovered from their opening game but England's players looked drained by the end of the 1st half. Most of our team were moving around the pitch at the pace of an iceberg.

Why do Scotland have "no chance"? If we beat Croatia then the England result doesn't matter a jot as we would be put in against the other 3rd place teams; if we beat Croatia then the head to head decide who finishes ahead (we would finish ahead of Croatia if we beat them)

Proud of the Scotland team tonight though; great performance and if we had better strikers I think we would have sneaked it; England though look way off being anywhere near winning the tournament.

I do hate to talk about ifs and buts however you’re talking about having better strikers which you’re simply not going to have.

England hit the post and dragged one slightly wide. If either of those attempts had gone in you’d have lost.

Let’s be realistic, England played poorly and Scotland played as well as they could and this resulted in a draw. England are a better side but something went wrong tonight and you did well to get the point. The only uncertainty is in how well England can do after this. We know England can do better but how do you expect Scotland to do better? I really wish Scotland well but we shouldn’t get carried away.

You didn’t need two cdms tonight. Choose either Rice or Phillips to protect the back line and attack ffs. Foden and Grealish need to play.
My concern with this is that we end up with Foden, Mount and Grealish all in the same space, along with Kane dropping into it and Sterling cutting into it.

They're our best five attacking players but can't all play. I'd much prefer us to play Sancho and / or Saka to offer some width and create space for two of Mount, Foden, Sterling or Grealish.

Pickford

Walker - Mings / Maguire - Stones - Shaw

Rice

Foden - Mount

Sancho - Kane - Saka / Sterling

It's unfortunate for Grealish but you can't have all three of him, Foden and Mount on the pitch at the same time imo.

I can guarantee this is what he is looking at. To finish second and avoid the group of death. England never used to be like this. It all started to change after around 2006 ish. You always thought we could beat the big teams or at least equal them. Now it is completely different. Having a captain like Harry Kane who has won nothing doesn't help either. Long gone are the days of Tony Adams, Alan Shearer, John Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom