UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can guarantee this is what he is looking at. To finish second and avoid the group of death. England never used to be like this. It all started to change after around 2006 ish. You always thought we could beat the big teams or at least equal them. Now it is completely different. Having a captain like Harry Kane who has won nothing doesn't help either. Long gone are the days of Tony Adams, Alan Shearer, John Terry.
I've never understood Kane being captain personally. Even if he is a good leader it's pretty hard to lead from the front when you're passive for the majority of the game. If Hendo was fit He'd be my choice but southgate will continue with Kane anyway. Others would probably make arguements for maguire etc

I do hate to talk about ifs and buts however you’re talking about having better strikers which you’re simply not going to have.

England hit the post and dragged one slightly wide. If either of those attempts had gone in you’d have lost.

Let’s be realistic, England played poorly and Scotland played as well as they could and this resulted in a draw. England are a better side but something went wrong tonight and you did well to get the point. The only uncertainty is in how well England can do after this. We know England can do better but how do you expect Scotland to do better? I really wish Scotland well but we shouldn’t get carried away.

Well done for England having a shot off target and hitting the post but youre ignoring Scotland having one cleared off the line by Mings...

England were like a blunt pencil trying to walk the ball into the net. If the systems not working, what's wrong with getting bodies in the box and swinging the ball in. Kane getting the thick of it is unfair, he had so little service I don't blame the guy.

I feel sorry for all the young kids who were all excited and stopped up late to watch that ****

Well done for England having a shot off target and hitting the post but youre ignoring Scotland having one cleared off the line by Mings...

James :p

If Che Adams was any good we’d have been 2 down. We hit the post that absolutely has to be a goal, shocking miss, apart from that? James should do better but it’s not an unbelievable chance… Mount should do better at the near post, Sterling should do better to find Foden..

Scotland had the better chances.

Next game wholesale changes please. Shaw wouldn’t be getting another look in, James wasn’t his Chelsea self, Mings nervous, Rice and Philips as a duo showing they aren’t the answer so as I’ve said for years only one holding midfielder Southgate you gimp! Sterling obviously for Grealish.

Last edited:
I'd be embarrassed if I were Scottish and celebrating that.

You ever taken notice of the things that England celebrate?

I think I've lost count on how many times both the BBC and ITV have shown gazzas goal at 96, but congrats on winning that tourna....oh wait and the expectation that England will win every euro and world cup before a ball is kicked.

We have no expectations so when we get a point against the all conquering mighty English it's worth celebrating but then again England have never had any history in writing off a diddy wee nation have they? .........'huh' *clap" :p

Regardless all said and done a point is a better result for England than Scotland. They should have finished that game disappointed instead they’re acting like they’ve just won the World Cup. Minnows gonna minnow.

He isn't. Doesn't inspire the team, doesn't try and rally them up and get them moving forward. All he does is stand around doing nothing at all.
Thats my general impression of him aswell but apparently he's very good behind the scenes with tottenham and us fans dont get to see that side.

I'd rather a tyrant on the training pitch but someone who steps up on game day and motivates people honestly. Being the popular hard working, lead by example type isn't a bad thing though just not enough when things are going wrong.

He isn't. Doesn't inspire the team, doesn't try and rally them up and get them moving forward. All he does is stand around doing nothing at all.
The problem isn't the players it's 100% the manager, Kane won the golden boot this season in a below average Tottenham team, Foden pulled the strings for in midfield for the champions, mount won the CL etc.

We look like a team in the relegation zone who have lost belief in their manager.

I think the balance in midfield is wrong. Phillips or Rice is fine as the destroyer but I think you need a passer alongside one of them (I think long term we'll see Rice and Bellingham). Netherlands have De Jong, Germany have Kroos, France have Kante (who does everything lol), Italy have Jorginho - all players with good passing ability who play as one of the midfield players generally alongside someone a bit more physical.

On the plus side, Pickford seems to be playing well. They said he's been seeing a psychologist over the past year and fair play, he looks much more calm and composed on the pitch.

And no goals conceded.

There are positives, but we need to put in a much better performance against the Czech's.

England were like a blunt pencil trying to walk the ball into the net. If the systems not working, what's wrong with getting bodies in the box and swinging the ball in. Kane getting the thick of it is unfair, he had so little service I don't blame the guy.

I feel sorry for all the young kids who were all excited and stopped up late to watch that ****

Kanes getting stick because he was absolute garbage. He was a passenger whos clearly not fit.

Kane will only score if he gets chances and how many chances were created for him in the last couple of games?

At one point in the game, James was in the centre of the box and Kane was on the wing. Kane crossed it and James took a shot which of course was no where near going in.

This is completely backwards. I get that Kane drops deep for Tottenham and creates goals for Son etc but he needs to stop doing this for England. He needs to be our striker because the people around him aren’t making the runs or holding the line in his stead like at Tottenham.

It’s been the same in the past dozen games or so, he’s dropping too deep. If he’s not getting service then that’s a problem that needs sorting out but not by him going out of position.

I think against teams that park the bus, two cdms is the problem. Yes Philips played well against Croatia but he didn’t show up yesterday. We should have taken him off for Bellingham. It was the link between defence and attack that was letting us down.

As an aside, it’s a shame we don’t have the option of Vardy, Ings or Bamford. I also don’t know why we didn’t put DCL on for Kane instead of Rashford.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom