UEFA Euro 2024 Semi Finals ** spoilers ** [9th - 10th July 2024]

Soldato
p4hYTYP.jpg

Soldato
That was before the game.

In unrelated to euros news but there no Copa America thread videos on X of Uruguay players fighting with Colombian fans in the stands and Darwin Nunez is there.
Just seen a video on X. Nunez certainly maintains his boxing stance lol and misses his punches. Felt sorry for the female police officer, trying to stop fists flying. When some bloke landed a punch on Nunez, she went after him and the crowd just piled ontop. Hope shes ok. Poor lass.

Soldato
Going back to the penalty...

Odd one for me as when it happened I thought no pen.

But when Wrighty said if it happens outside the box then it would be given as a foul, and I agree with him.

But at the same time I don't think it's a pen as the defender was trying to block the shot.

But at the same time, same time(!) it's given outside the box lol.

Meh whatever, England deserved to go through on the balance of play :p

Caporegime
What a result. England playing well and with a good tempo, Foden bossing it, subs that worked, entertaining football and a terrific result. Only downside was our reverting to our usual boring/out of ideas style in the 2nd and Kane - he shouldn't be starting.

Dumb I know but got a chuckle from me.

Soldato
That video summarises why I can’t stand football (plus I can’t stand players falling over when an opponent comes within 5 inches of them)

Went on a nice quiet ride while the football was on. Hoped to come back to news they were out.

I dare say if they win, there’ll be illusions of grandeur that they are actually good at football. As someone said earlier, don’t deserve to be in it this far.

Soldato
That video summarises why I can’t stand football (plus I can’t stand players falling over when an opponent comes within 5 inches of them)

Went on a nice quiet ride while the football was on. Hoped to come back to news they were out.

I dare say if they win, there’ll be illusions of grandeur that they are actually good at football. As someone said earlier, don’t deserve to be in it this far.

Weird subforum for you to be in then....

Suspended
What a result. England playing well and with a good tempo, Foden bossing it, subs that worked, entertaining football and a terrific result. Only downside was our reverting to our usual boring/out of ideas style in the 2nd and Kane - he shouldn't be starting.

I think it's valid to complain Southgateball is boring..... But it's undeniable he knows how to manage teams in international knockout comps. The philosophy is mainly "make sure you're still in it in the last 15".

I don't think the current crop of players is that special. There are good players in most teams, and only one can win it at the end of the day.

Soldato

Got a chuckle from me two!

For the second half performance you have to give a lot of credit to the Dutch rather than just say England reverted to type. They made some tactical changes at half time to squash the space England, in particular Foden was finding. It was a negative change from them aimed at frustrating England as we had been dominate in the first half and it worked. Credit to the players and Southgate for sticking to the task making the right changes and ultimately getting a deserved win the Dutch are a good side and we were better.

Last edited:
Associate
Just enjoy the ride....never a dull game talking about England whether they win or not it seems. Foden played well and Watkins / Palmer double sub worked a treat. I personally did think it was late into the game but what do I know! Kane though hasn't looked great but won't be dropped. Shaw didn't break down either.

Associate

Rubbish. You don't get anywhere in tournament knockout football without good game management and a bit of luck. That goes for almost every side who's ever won it. No undeserving side makes it this far, regardless of whatever trite reasons people want to come up with.

Soldato
I think moaning about prior performances is fair, moaning about yesterday and the fact that we're in the final, for the first time on foreign soil, through a well earned victory. Come on, get a grip!!!!
Agree the start to the tournament was dire but we still won the group which got us an easier route to the final and realistically was all that mattered. Since then we have been on a steady improvement curve maybe we will peak at exactly the right moment and actually win a trophy! It’s easy to forget just how tough and unforgiving tournament football is and anyone who sees loosing to Spain in the final (worst case) as a failure is deluded! Yes we have a decent crop of players but we have no divine right to win a tournament and plenty of wonderfully talented teams have failed down the years!

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think it's valid to complain Southgateball is boring..... But it's undeniable he knows how to manage teams in international knockout comps. The philosophy is mainly "make sure you're still in it in the last 15".

I don't think the current crop of players is that special. There are good players in most teams, and only one can win it at the end of the day.

Its hard to argue that he knows how to manage a team in international knockout comps when he rides his luck at almost every turn. Especially when you consider that we have had ridiculously easy runs in most of his big comps in charge. Its not good management to rely on luck. You need luck to win competitions. You shouldn't be relying on it constantly though.

Back
Top Bottom