Poll: UK Gun Laws

• Thread starter Thread starter NVP
  • Start date Start date

Should civilians have access to weapons?

• Yes - Current law is fine, no changes needed

• No - Only "Professional" users can be licensed

• No - Remove all guns from Civilians

• Yes - Current laws are too restrictive

Results are only viewable after voting.
A typical clay shoot range has little more than a shed in terms of buildings. How the hell are you going to securely store guns in a shed? Gun safes need to be securely bolted to a permanent structure.

This, some of them don't even have that, you get agreement from the land owner to shoot and you all meet up with the traps in the back of the van, setup, shoot and have tea out of a flask :D

Thanks all for your viewpoints on this, I know it's a delicate subject for some when the legitimacy of something you enjoy is threatened, but I'm glad the thread has stayed respectful which is nice :)

Regarding the reasons given, I'm yet to see one that couldn't be replaced by a professional service. This not only would enable facilitation of localised controls, but also introduce limitations in volume.

Thanks all for your viewpoints on this, I know it's a delicate subject for some when the legitimacy of something you enjoy is threatened, but I'm glad the thread has stayed respectful which is nice :)

Regarding the reasons given, I'm yet to see one that couldn't be replaced by a professional service. This not only would enable facilitation of localised controls, but also introduce limitations in volume.
Just to get this straight, you think sports shooters should not be allowed possession of their own guns?

A typical clay shoot range has little more than a shed in terms of buildings. How the hell are you going to securely store guns in a shed? Gun safes need to be securely bolted to a permanent structure.

If it became a thing then they'd need substantial premises - I can't really see that happening though - most of the rifle ranges around where I live have closed due to funding issues and/or slump in use and/or because it is easier to run clays.

a delicate subject for some when the legitimacy of something you enjoy is threatened

A delicate subject for most people if something they enjoy is threatened - I tend to find people are always so glib and quick to resort to logic when it isn't something they take part in, and the first to start crying when it is something which they do.

And farmers shouldn’t be allowed guns either?
I guess that would depend on if they become part of any professional service or not, but generally... yep.

A delicate subject for most people if something they enjoy is threatened - I tend to find people are always so glib and quick to resort to logic when it isn't something they take part in, and the first to start crying when it is something which they do.
Good thing I simply transcend to objectivity, then :D

Last edited:
So gun ownership should be allowed for sports but not for defending ones self?

We don't need to import the American gun problem to the UK.

Its an absolute **** show, if you genuinely believe their system is great, go ahead and move there.

We have a great system here in the UK its isn't perfect and could be better, but I prefer this than all the issues that come from everyone and their mother having a gun.

Last edited:
I guess that would depend on if they become part of any professional service or not, but generally... yep.

I think the important point is that farmers at least have a reason. The general public do not. I don't accept "fun" or "sport" as a reason. So farmers, for me, would be up for debate, but they the minimum is they need tighter regulations. It's far too easy for the average farm-hand to get a shotgun.

Last edited:
Ammunition already has to be stored separately from the firearm. It can be in the same cabinet, but it has to be in a separate compartment with a different lock.

I keep mine totally apart, in separate cabinets.

Always going to be practical aspects/reasonableness to it but IMO ammo should be stored completely separately i.e. gun on 1st floor, ammo in the loft kind of thing.

Until the farmer's requirements for ownership are negated by the implementation of a/multiple professional service(s)

Completely impractical in some farming circumstances, there are genuine times when a farmer needs far quicker access to a firearm than any professional service can provide. (Though technically a professional service same for some animal rescue type organisations who have firearms for humane reasons).

Last edited:
Always going to be practical aspects/reasonableness to it but IMO ammo should be stored completely separately i.e. gun on 1st floor, ammo in the loft kind of thing.
Out of all of my friends who have firearms, I don't know any of them who have just the one cabinet. Normally ammunition compartments are very small and there's not enough space in them so you have to have more than one.

Actually when I said there's none in mine, that's not quite true. I have some shotgun cartridges in mine.

There is no legislation as to the secure storage of shotgun cartridges, you can keep them on your mantlepiece if you want!

So gun ownership should be allowed for sports but not for defending ones self?

That's not what UK gun licensing is for, those who use them for defence have them illegally, changing gun licensing wont stop that.

EDIT: just to add, the best guns for defence, hand guns, cant be held on any UK license by general public.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom