Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
The move by what seems to be a neo-nazi group 30km into Russia itself is just so bizarre. If it's true, what the hell are they thinking? They will be killed or captured extremely quickly as I assume they did this on their own, so will have no backup.

If totally false.. then .. just why? so weird.

To gain sympathy, ratchet up the war etc, plenty of reasons.

I'm surprised actually given that Bakhmut is relatively dug in Ukraine didn't open up another front in the area to relieve the pressure and put Russia's supply lines/command for the assault on Bakhmut under threat.

I'm the same, I just keep falling back to that Ukraine has basically outwitted Russia at every level throughout the war.
As such it just feels to me like some massive trap.
I really hope I am right and its not a tactical error on their part, but its hard to see why they would be making it in this case.

I'm the same, I just keep falling back to that Ukraine has basically outwitted Russia at every level throughout the war.
As such it just feels to me like some massive trap.
I really hope I am right and its not a tactical error on their part, but its hard to see why they would be making it in this case.
At this point i'm thinking the whole point of Bakhmut is to deplete the Russians so much they cant do much other than stay put and get progressively weaker and more vulnerable to counter attacks

At this point i'm thinking the whole point of Bakhmut is to deplete the Russians so much they cant do much other than stay put and get progressively weaker and more vulnerable to counter attacks
I think Russia has taken heavy losses, but if those losses are primarily prisoners serving for Russia, then I question how much this really weakens Russia in the long run. They can always mobilise more people.

I think Russia has taken heavy losses, but if those losses are primarily prisoners serving for Russia, then I question how much this really weakens Russia in the long run. They can always mobilise more people.

IMO the city is far more critical to Russian's war efforts than many commentators think, while I assume Ukraine has long since relocated from using it as a hub. Russian logistics is generally very different to how people think a modern army operate.

Last edited:
IMO the city is far more critical to Russian's war efforts than many commentators think, while I assume Ukraine has long since relocated from using it as a hub. Russian logistics is generally very different to how people think a modern army operate.
If it was critical they wouldn't have made it near impossible to defend by turning it into rubble surely?

There's also the symbolism factor, between 1924-2016 Bakhmut was known as Artemivsk, it was renamed by Ukraine as part of the post 2014 de-Russification and this greatly angered the Ukrainian separatists (who had taken the city post 2014 but lost control of it in 2015) and the Russians (as the city had been named after an important Bolshevik born there who had played a role in the 1914 Russian revolution which resulted in the USSR). There would be major symbolic value to taking the city, and potentially changing the name back, even if there's very little city left.

There's also the symbolism factor, between 1924-2016 Bakhmut was known as Artemivsk, it was renamed by Ukraine as part of the post 2014 de-Russification and this greatly angered the Ukrainian separatists (who had taken the city post 2014 but lost control of it in 2015) and the Russians (as the city had been named after an important Bolshevik born there who had played a role in the 1914 Russian revolution which resulted in the USSR). There would be major symbolic value to taking the city, and potentially changing the name back, even if there's very little city left.
You'd think the USSR lovers would think a bit about why Russia would celebrate a pile of rubble and realise the symbology is far more to the West's favour than theirs, but I'm sure they'll find some nonsensical rationale to ignore that.

I'm surprised actually given that Bakhmut is relatively dug in Ukraine didn't open up another front in the area to relieve the pressure and put Russia's supply lines/command for the assault on Bakhmut under threat.

From comments in that twitter post it appears that Ukraine is at a minimum pulling back across the river to the west.

*U.S. State Dept: Not Expecting Any More Formal Senior Dialogue With Russia in Near Term
*U.S. State Dept: Expect There Will Be U.S Calls, Engagements With China in Coming Weeks

*White House’s Kirby: Biden, Germany’s Scholz to Discuss Ukraine’s Needed Capabilities, Assistance on Friday
*White House’s Kirby: U.S. Will Announce a New Military Aid Package for Ukraine on Friday
*U.S. to Announce New $400 Million Military Aid Package for Ukraine on Friday - U.S. Officials

*U.S. Nationals Arrested in Kansas City for Sending U.S. Aviation Technology to Russians — US Official

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom