Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting analysis from the WSJ, with a particular focus on Wagner.

With their policy of executing on the spot troopers who attempt to retreat or surrender, and a disregard for losses that is shocking for modern warfare, Wagner’s disposable penal battalions have emerged as a unique threat to Ukrainian defenders, advancing at the time when the regular Russian military remains largely stalled.

No military in a democratic society can keep sending wave after wave of soldiers to near-certain death to gain another few hundred yards. Even Russia’s regular armed forces, known for their high tolerance of casualties, shy away from sending troops on clearly suicidal missions. Yet it is precisely such an approach that has allowed Wagner to come to the verge of capturing Bakhmut, at a cost that Ukrainian and Western officials estimate at tens of thousands of Russian casualties.

Ukraine is also suffering large casualties here that could sap its ability to mount a spring offensive with new weapons supplied by the U.S. and allies. President Volodymyr Zelensky has come under growing pressure to pull back from the eastern city, home to 70,000 people before the war, in what would be Kyiv’s first such significant retreat since last summer.

Wagner, which began its assault on Bakhmut in July, keeps inching closer to the remaining two supply roads into the shrinking salient, as its men fight house to house on approaches to the city’s central neighborhoods.

...At times, up to 18 human waves of Wagner troops have attacked a single trench in a 24-hour period, said Sr. Lt. Petro Horbatenko, a battalion commander in the Third Storm Brigade, one of the Ukrainian units on the Bakhmut front.

“A Wagner fighter doesn’t have an option to pull back. Their only chance of survival is to keep moving ahead,” he said. “And this tactic works. It’s a zombie war…They are throwing cannon fodder at us, aiming to cause maximum damage. We obviously can’t respond the same way because we don’t have as much personnel and we are sensitive to losses.”

One of Wagner’s men captured on the Bakhmut front, a 48-year-old recidivist with convictions for murder, robbery and drug offenses, said that he was trained for three weeks with basically one skill: how to crawl and advance in a forest, an indication that he wasn’t expected to survive his first mission. Then, the night of Jan. 29, two Wagner squads, each containing five regular convicts and one commander, also an inmate, were ordered to assault a fortified Ukrainian outpost.

(Source).

Human wave attacks, Iranian style. It's not superior fighting or weapons that's winning the battle of Bakhmut for Putin, it's an endless stream of disposable troops.

Last edited:
After Russias failure with their initial push it was always going to turn into a war of attrition and this is the persistent threat to Ukraine, that they just get ground down by superior numbers.

Sorry but are you having a laugh?

If this war proves anything its that Russia let their military and equipment rot.

If it was doing things the way we all thought it could this war would have been over in a couple of weeks.
The point was that while Russia spend more of their GPD on their military than we do, because they split it on doing more things it gets watered down (and lost to corruption) so they end up with lots of substandard projects instead of a couple of actually good ones like we do.

Last edited:
Somebody needs to tell Russia that welding 60+ year old navy turrets onto 60+ year old APCs does not result in a 21st century weapon xD

image.jpg

image.jpg

This cant be serious.
Sadly it seems it be so. I say sadly because despite wanting Russia to lose I can't help but feel bad for the conscripts expected to drive around in an ancient APC (with comparable armour to a Tesla Cybertruck) "protected" by a manually operated naval AA turret with a sub 3000m range against ground targets. Given what the added weight will do to the speed of the APC it's probably more of a hinderance than a help.

image.jpg

This cant be serious.

Sadly it seems it be so. I say sadly because despite wanting Russia to lose I can't help but feel bad for the conscripts expected to drive around in an ancient APC (with comparable armour to a Tesla Cybertruck) "protected" by a manually operated naval AA turret with a sub 3000m range against ground targets. Given what the added weight will do to the speed of the APC it's probably more of a hinderance than a help.

image.jpg

In Russia, Steampunk is real.

image.jpg
Considering how flat most of Ukraine is, I would think a huge tower sticking out would be a literal death trap for anybody manning the turret

Re the MBT discussion. With the success of relatively cheap handheld missile technology decapitating tanks in Ukraine, is it also true that American and other NATO countries tanks are immune to these irritants. Judging by recent actions using HIMARS type munitions for long range and infantry supported by artillery and armed with anti tank is superior to having squadrons of possibly useless tanks.

Armchair General.

Active protection systems, see specifically Israeli use of said systems, they can help defeat these threats and tanks are still proving invaluable when used correctly.

Plenty of life left in tanks , now attack helicopters are a different kettle of fish, those have had thier day in my view.

A large quadcopter with a brimstone and another with a targeting pod make much more sense to me

Former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev said on Friday that the only way for Moscow to ensure a lasting peace with Ukraine was to push back the borders of hostile states as far as possible, even if that meant the frontiers of NATO member Poland.
Reporting by Andrew Osborn and Caleb Davis; Editing by Mark Trevelyan

cant see this mentioned before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom