Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does that work with artillery as I presume it's still subject to vulnerability there? And it seems like the Russians have not learned a lot from WW1 and just bombing the **** out of everything. Or are these tanks more strategically used? I'm curious as to what they will bring, are they a game changer?
I think it will allow more manoeuvre warfare tactics like the Kharkiv offensive. Russia doesn't seem to be able to react as well to a highly mobile armoured offensive and end up retreating in disarray. A force of MBTs/APCs/IFVs would advance rapidly, overwhelming the initial line of defence and threaten the artillery positions (probably softened up with HIMARS before hand).

Tanks are vulnerable to artillery but Russia seems to have pretty inaccurate artillery, relying on volume of fire and artillery crawl. Against a mobile force I think Russian artillery tactics will be pretty weak.

Last edited:
Yeah.. Russia has old tanks, old artillery and conscripted infantry with old weapons.

Ukraine has modern tanks (or will very soon) modern artillery and a highly angry and well armed infantry protecting thier very lives and houses.

Russia can pull out any time it wants to, but vlads stuck in too deep with his domestic politics and reputation now.

Forbes wrote an article saying Russia is running out of t72's

They lineked to this Twitter thread where this guy uses historical paperwork and estimates to figure out how many tanks Russia had at the start of the war. When combined with Oryx numbers it looks like 50% of Russia T72s in stock have been destroyed or lost and most of the remaining 50% is in storage and requires upgrades to be fielded

Last edited:
Forbes wrote an article saying Russia is running out of t72's

They lineked to this Twitter thread where this guy uses historical paperwork and estimates to figure out how many tanks Russia had at the start of the war. When combined with Oryx numbers it looks like 50% of Russia T72s in stock have been destroyed or lost and most of the remaining 50% is in storage and requires upgrades to be fielded

Regardless of the actual numbers - by Russia's own numbers, and I suspect accurate in this case, they'll be putting ~800 tanks, of all types, back into service over the next 2-3 years and that likely is all they have left which are viable to pull out of storage. A significant percentage are T-62s which will be "modernised" including upgrading with 30+ year old thermal sights. A few hundred will be T-72As and Bs, probably about 100 T-90s.

That assumes they don't mobilise industry to increase output.

EDIT: I wonder if/when they'll start larger scale industry mobilisation though - their big artillery systems (MSTA, etc.) are produced at about 1 a month (apparently used up about 70% of the viable ammo for them now), they've 2 new IFVs going into production but one is ~5 a month, the other probably not even 1 a month, advanced missile production is only enough for limited strikes every 2 months and so on.

Last edited:
Regardless of the actual numbers - by Russia's own numbers, and I suspect accurate in this case, they'll be putting ~800 tanks, of all types, back into service over the next 2-3 years and that likely is all they have left which are viable to pull out of storage. A significant percentage are T-62s which will be "modernised" including upgrading with 30+ year old thermal sights. A few hundred will be T-72As and Bs, probably about 100 T-90s.

That assumes they don't mobilise industry to increase output.

EDIT: I wonder if/when they'll start larger scale industry mobilisation though - their big artillery systems (MSTA, etc.) are produced at about 1 a month (apparently used up about 70% of the viable ammo for them now), they've 2 new IFVs going into production but one is ~5 a month, the other probably not even 1 a month, advanced missile production is only enough for limited strikes every 2 months and so on.
Can they increase it much/quickly though?
If at least just some of what has been published/shown about the Russian "essential, must be made in country" production is true they've been fudging it for years with even quite basic stuff that's needed fairly far back in the supply chain as it was profitable for the factory owners and local officials who were meant to oversee it to buy in the items from outside Russia and pretend they'd made them rather than getting their own production up to the required standards.
If they had not been making the parts to standard at pre "special operation" levels when they had access to the rest of the worlds equipment/help to do so, they're going to find it very hard to both improve production to meet those standards and the new required output. Especially if a lot of the people with the education/ability to do that sort of work have been sent to fight in Ukraine or upgrade 50 year old tanks with 30 year old parts.

Can they increase it much/quickly though?
If at least just some of what has been published/shown about the Russian "essential, must be made in country" production is true they've been fudging it for years with even quite basic stuff that's needed fairly far back in the supply chain as it was profitable for the factory owners and local officials who were meant to oversee it to buy in the items from outside Russia and pretend they'd made them rather than getting their own production up to the required standards.
If they had not been making the parts to standard at pre "special operation" levels when they had access to the rest of the worlds equipment/help to do so, they're going to find it very hard to both improve production to meet those standards and the new required output. Especially if a lot of the people with the education/ability to do that sort of work have been sent to fight in Ukraine or upgrade 50 year old tanks with 30 year old parts.

In some cases more than others, but from what I've seen there has been very little attempt so far. Rostec has been increasing missile production but very little in the way of a full industry mobilisation.

Are there any reliable figures of actual losses, I'm only seeing fairly tale figures like 200 Ukrainians killed versus 10000 russian or something like that. I would expect a higher ratio by virtue of defending but is it really that skewed? I would have thought indiscriminate artillery use would pump up both sides?

For Bakhmut specifically? I don't think there are any particularly reliable estimates, and there may well never be. Still, Wikipedia has a decent collection of estimates. The most reliable estimates seem to be about 20-30k Russian casualties (killed + injured) with NATO estimates putting Ukrainian loses about five times lower so 4-6k.

A 5:1 ratio in favour of the defenders doesn't seem wildly out of line with other conflicts, although higher than you'd expect. The evidence from the front seems to point to Russia (i.e. Wagner) being willing to throw bodies into the fight with unusual aggression.

ICC is about to start issuing arrest warrants for Russians accused of war crimes

It does not matter they withdrew from that, just means that they cant travel to countries that have signed up, and many countries will not arrest high ranking officials if they are from a powerful country.
Which country would arrest Putin. This is for those people that are not in power.

*Kremlin: Peaceful Resolution in Ukraine Is Not Possible Without Taking Into Account ‘New Realities’; Says Moscow’s Demands Are Well Known
*Russian Authorities Consider “Patriotic” Bonds: Interfax
*Russian Parliament Approves Law Expanding Punishments for ‘Discrediting’ Those Fighting in Ukraine
*Russia’s Shoigu Orders to Double Production of High-Precision Rockets - TASS Cites Defence Ministry

Last edited:
*Kremlin: Peaceful Resolution in Ukraine Is Not Possible Without Taking Into Account ‘New Realities’; Says Moscow’s Demands Are Well Known
*Russian Authorities Consider “Patriotic” Bonds: Interfax
*Russian Parliament Approves Law Expanding Punishments for ‘Discrediting’ Those Fighting in Ukraine
*Russia’s Shoigu Orders to Double Production of High-Precision Rockets - TASS Cites Defence Ministry

I get the impression things are getting a bit panicky in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom