Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know when a damn is breached what happens to that small gap from the water pressure pushing on it right?
people are acting like the whole section of it wouldn't collapse anyway, it only needs one small crack through the wall

I do indeed which is why I pointed out that was precisely why an explosion under water was considerably different to one above, even if its only a few meters below the water level.
Precisely why it would be far easier to lower the water line, drill some relatively small holes, pack them with explosives, wire them up and then blow them all and let water pressure do the rest.
You can do exactly the same below the water line, but its a more expert job than at water level (which to do safely would still be quite expert but the Russia and safe...)

Real video seems sketchy so hard to know exactly how this one played out. But the pictures would make me think 3 or so points were blown and the water pressure has removed all the rest back as far as the nearest strong point in each direction.

By the size of whats gone however it doesn't look like it was a minor crack to me but who knows. It certainly looks like the water is now carving away at the edges behind the dam.

Blow the bridge and trap them there.
No. Without water they will leave of their own accord. Blow the bridge once all the orcs have left.

This is a tacit admission by Putin that he will lose Crimea and is adopting a scorched earth policy out of spite.

I read this morning that if it's really bad Crimea could be unusable for upto 15 years

War is horrid and escalation is the reality, but i’d honestly love to see a fully equipped ground and airforce just force the tools back to their border. Its absolutely embarrassing watching the RU army operate and pretend to be a feared force globally.

New video doing the rounds - as well as original T80B models , T72 Ural are on way for refurb. I say we send some Chieftain mk11 to tackle them :p

I think people underestimate how long Russia can keep dragging this **** back into some kind of service. But I'd rather just wipe them out with modern equipment with better efficiency and less risk :p

No. Without water they will leave of their own accord. Blow the bridge once all the orcs have left.

This is a tacit admission by Putin that he will lose Crimea and is adopting a scorched earth policy out of spite.

I read this morning that if it's really bad Crimea could be unusable for upto 15 years

But the land will recovere and all at sludge and slime will make the land super fertile again.

Listening to Michael Clark on Sky News the breach of the dam may not be as bad as first thought, from the pictures we've seen the Russians were only able to blow the top off which hopefully mean the reservoir behind it will only come down to the level of where the breach is. The question remains is how badly weakened is the rest of the dam, if that fails then it really will be catastrophic.

Listening to Michael Clark on Sky News the breach of the dam may not be as bad as first thought, from the pictures we've seen the Russians were only able to blow the top off which hopefully mean the reservoir behind it will only come down to the level of where the breach is. The question remains is how badly weakened is the rest of the dam, if that fails then it really will be catastrophic.

The main hole looks like someone "only" blew the top off - but the side failure looks like structural and extends deeper - the bit beside that looks like it may fail which would give a complete outlet as well.

There is also a lot of video and images from last year going around making it more confusing.

EDIT: At least superficially it looks like damage from war combined with the problems of maintenance during such has resulted in a failure rather than someone blowing it up. Though it doesn't discount charges causing a wider failure what can be seen of the damage at both of the larger locations looks like mechanical failure.

Last edited:
The main hole looks like someone "only" blew the top off - but the side failure looks like structural and extends deeper - the bit beside that looks like it may fail which would give a complete outlet as well.

There is also a lot of video and images from last year going around making it more confusing.

EDIT: At least superficially it looks like damage from war combined with the problems of maintenance during such has resulted in a failure rather than someone blowing it up. Though it doesn't discount charges causing a wider failure what can be seen of the damage at both of the larger locations looks like mechanical failure.

Don't forget the scale.
At the end of the day all your really trying to do with explosive charges in a dam is to basically trigger the mechanical failure.

I still want evidence of an explosion/charges or whatever. Thinking it might be possible they screwed the dam that was already weakened with excessive high water level.

True but whilst that feasible why go slow low then so high?

Don't forget the scale.
At the end of the day all your really trying to do with explosive charges in a dam is to basically trigger the mechanical failure.

Without a proper investigation impossible to say but at least superficially doesn't look like the damage was done by or triggered by a very large detonation. Looks far more consistent with a general weakening of the structure and eventual failure.

True but whilst that feasible why go slow low then so high?
Could the low mark have been a result of the early damage last year to the gate? If I remember correctly there was quite an increased output flow after the damage. My guess was a temporary quick fix followed by complete abandonment.
I mean I'm not at all ruling out genuine malice behind the record high levels. Though i'd easier attribute that to complete negligence. I mean it would be par for course!

2 metres drop is a ridiculously huge volume of water in a dam that size.

If someone knows the surface area, you can calculate that easily.

For reference, one cubic metre of water is 1 metric tonne. The dnieper has a flow rate of about 1500 cubic m per second. That is a LOT of water- the Taff (my local river) is about 4 cu m per second.
I meant in the context of the original post ... I.e. those two metres making it harder to plant the explosives.

War is horrid and escalation is the reality, but i’d honestly love to see a fully equipped ground and airforce just force the tools back to their border. Its absolutely embarrassing watching the RU army operate and pretend to be a feared force globally.

Russia are still a dangerous country though, regardless of their performance in Ukraine. they have done damage which will take years for Ukraine to recover from. They are just useless at achieving their goal (which they dont even know themselves).

Without a proper investigation impossible to say but at least superficially doesn't look like the damage was done by or triggered by a very large detonation. Looks far more consistent with a general weakening of the structure and eventual failure.
Well yes impossible to say, so a small explosion in the scale of that dam would be more than enough to cause the breakdown of its remaining structural integrity.
With the area impacted (if there was one) now being long gone.

Could the low mark have been a result of the early damage last year to the gate? If I remember correctly there was quite an increased output flow after the damage. My guess was a temporary quick fix followed by complete abandonment.
I mean I'm not at all ruling out genuine malice behind the record high levels. Though i'd easier attribute that to complete negligence. I mean it would be par for course!

Yeah its completely feasible and I suspect we will never know for sure. Unless there is a specific positive element left behind (which itself would be very unlikely)

I tend to agree in regards negligence and or total ineptitude!

However the timing would seem remarkably good for the Russians.

It was interesting the Rybar was yesterday late afternoon our time going on about the Ukrainians having some new boats in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom