Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the counter offensive even using western equipment is not going to be the pushover many (including me to a certain extent) assumed.
Drones have totally changed the modern battlefield.
I expect we will see the emergence of drone hunting drones. We have historically seen it in other areas:

The emergence of fighting ships resulted in more ships to attack them, and great naval battles.
The emergence of submarines resulted in a class of hunter killer submarines and submarine destroyers.
The emergence of aircraft to drop hand grenades on trenches in WW1 resulted in the creation of fighter planes.
The emergence of tanks as a simple way of breaching trenches resulted in bigger tanks to destroy them and large tank battles.

So I expect we will see a class of hunter killer drones specifically to take down other drones.

EDIT: In fact I predict an automated network of drones in the next 5 to 10 years. For example there could be hundreds of drones sitting high up in the sky waiting to detect enemy drones. When power is low they get replaced, again automatically, by another drone while it flies back to the charging station. You could have a permanent defence in the skies at home and a mobile version to move forward when attacking. This whole thing can be fully automated. Lets call it, errr... Skynet!

Last edited:
I expect we will see the emergence of drone hunting drones. We have historically seen it in other areas:

The emergence of fighting ships resulted in more ships to attack them, and great naval battles.
The emergence of submarines resulted in a class of hunter killer submarines and submarine destroyers.
The emergence of aircraft to drop hand grenades on trenches in WW1 resulted in the creation of fighter planes.
The emergence of tanks as a simple way of breaching trenches resulted in bigger tanks to destroy them and large tank battles.

So I expect we will see a class of hunter killer drones specifically to take down other drones.

EDIT: In fact I predict an automated network of drones in the next 5 to 10 years. For example there could be hundreds of drones sitting high up in the sky waiting to detect enemy drones. When power is low they get replaced, again automatically, by another drone while it flies back to the charging station. You could have a permanent defence in the skies at home and a mobile version to move forward when attacking. This whole thing can be fully automated. Lets call it, errr... Skynet!

Already a small amount of drone on drone combat taking place.
Obviously is human operated right now but typically its spot an enemy drone and try to come down on it from above to damage the rotors.

IMO its without doubt going to be the next main development area. Drones have proven their lethality in regards operations in Ukraine

The thing with drone swarms is that they might actually be easier to defend against

They make a heck of a lot of noise, they will show up easier on radar and because they bunch up relatively closely they become targets for electronic warfare systems like this that can bring the whole swarm down:

Last edited:
Russians keep saying every day they repelled the Ukrainian's advance attempts, but other channels say are retreating and videos have come out today showing about 100 Russian infantry running away from the front line

Ukraine is assessed to have pushed the Russians out of the yellow area

An issue with drone on drone combat is that if you stick a gun on a small drone the recoil will be insane

I am sure we are going to see lots of variation and iteration in this regard

IMO the HK drones will be sacrificial, maybe even launched from a larger drone itself. So large "drone carrier" with advanced capabilities. With say 4 small HK drones with a smallish explosive charge. The small drones can that way get away with more payload and less battery since they will only launch when they are needed.
Even "mini missiles" could be a thing launched from a large drone itself.

I am sure we are going to see lots of variation and iteration in this regard

IMO the HK drones will be sacrificial, maybe even launched from a larger drone itself. So large "drone carrier" with advanced capabilities. With say 4 small HK drones with a smallish explosive charge.

Yep, they could just make cheaper drones to smash into and damage / destroy the enemy drone. Doesn’t necessarily need to be re-usable (although that would be desirable).

The thing with drone swarms is that they might actually be easier to defend against

They make a heck of a lot of noise, they will show up easier on radar and because they bunch up relatively closely they become targets for electronic warfare systems like this that can bring the whole swarm down:

I can see that self-guided drones are the real future for AI. The problem is, of course, this is exactly where you don't want AI to be.

Seemingly creeping closer to a general acceptance Russia did it.
From BBC :

"The cause of the Kakhovka dam breach is still unclear, but new evidence about how it may have been damaged is emerging.

Seismic signals recorded in Bukovina, Romania, 620km (372 miles) away from Nova Kakhovka, indicate an explosion took place at 2:54 on Tuesday.

Norsar, the Norwegian Seismic Array which analysed the signals, says the timing and location coincide with the collapse of the dam.

Furthermore, only a very large quantity of explosives could have produced the signal detected almost 400 miles away, says BBC World Affairs correspondent Paul Adams."

It seems the counter offensive even using western equipment is not going to be the pushover many (including me to a certain extent) assumed.
Drones have totally changed the modern battlefield.

I had always scoffed at that the idea that Soviet/Russian equipment was somehow massively outlclassed. I mean you only had to look at the fact the exact same, or in many cases inferior tanks and IFVs were being used effectively by Ukraine AF. German, US or British tanks are just as vulnerable to artillery or almost as vulnerable to ATGM etc. Looking at how well these tanks did against poorly equipped and trained middle eastern forces give a very skewed and frankly innacurate assumption of their actual ability.

The Russians have been learning from their earlier overconfidence and mistakes and have prepared lots of defensive lines with pre-zeroed artillery zones. If (and I stress if) the UAF do manage to break through the Russian lines, that will be when we see how effective they can be.

Last edited:
The problem we face is prior victories: 1) Kyiv retreat 2) Kharkiv absolute route on Russia 3) Kherson defeat/withdrawal.

Those area's never were dug in for significant time. In our brains we all want and expect that to happen again, but in some areas the Russians have had 9 years to dig in, where there was fighting been going on back and forth for that entire time. (My brain was obviously hoping for 'god mode' to be activated as well btw, so you aren't alone).

So... I still want to see a route, but it's unfortunately going to be a lot slower. If it isn't, I'm going to be surprised doubly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom