Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised Ukraine made the same mistake as Russia and drive their armour on roads in close together columns.
One of the reasons is Ukraine is having to move these vehicles through their own minefields. The dirt track there driving through was cleared of mines ahead of time but even to Russian drone observers it's obvious what that track is going to be used for so drones just loiter until the convoy arrives at which point artillery is called in. I was saying yesterday they should have a team scouting ahead of the convoy making sure there are no drones in the area.

Better yet if Biden hadn't dragged his heals on providing F-16's for the last year this likely wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:
Good video on the destroyed Leopards/Bradleys, looks like one of the Leopards may be recoverable (if they can get to it under artillery fire):

Apparently one of the Leopards has been recovered.

Surprised Ukraine made the same mistake as Russia and drive their armour on roads in close together columns.

Going through a mine field so presumably there's a roller elsewhere in the field from when the track was cleared.

One of the reasons is Ukraine is having to move these vehicles through their own minefields. The dirt track there driving through was cleared of mines ahead of time but even to Russian drone observers it's obvious what that track is going to be used for so drones just loiter until the convoy arrives at which point artillery is called in. I was saying yesterday they should have a team scouting ahead of the convoy making sure there are no drones in the area.

Better yet if Biden hadn't dragged his heals on providing F-16's for the last year this likely wouldn't have happened.

The collective west has dragged its feet in arming Ukraine in what it needs to achieve victory and still does.

All plays into Russian hands, they are happy to soak up losses forever.

I saw something from Poland saying they could be ready to hand over F16s within around 2 months time and that training was in fact more advanced than some thought
I think many times we have suspected training has started on equipment before any commitment in regards it being supplied.
2 months whilst not ideal would still be around half way through the main campaign timeline between the end of mud season and the start of the winter weather.
That may be a little late but would still be early enough in 23 that they could make quite a difference.

The RAF wouldn't be able to achieve air superiority over Russia so probably not realistic.

They only need localised air superiority, and I believe the RAF could indeed achieve that.
I don't think they could achieve air supremacy however.

For Ukraine's southern offensive they would probably need something like 50 F16s in the air at all times during all forward combat operations to both support the ground units, run sead on enemy anti air and keep Russian aircraft away

That's going to be tough for them to try and do even if they received a 100 or 200 F16s from the West. They probably don't have enough close by air fields to keep such an operation working and these air fields will need to have multiple anti air systems like patriot to defend against what will be frequent incoming Russian cruise and ballistic missiles

I still think the best way to help Ukraine is to give them lots of long range missiles (500km to 1000km range) and let them target air fields and ammo depots inside Western Russia and Crimea

Last edited:
For Ukraine's southern offensive they would probably need something like 50 F16s in the air at all times during all forward combat operations to both support the ground units, run sead on enemy anti air and keep Russian aircraft away

That's going to be tough for them to try and do even if they received a 100 or 200 F16s from the West. They probably don't have enough close by air fields to keep such an operation working and these air fields will need to have multiple anti air systems like patriot to defend against what will be frequent incoming Russian cruise and ballistic missiles

Unless they have a free hand to attack Russian based air-defences and airbases it would be a huge issue for Ukraine (assuming Russia operated the S-300 and 400 complexes competently which is another story again).

Unless they have a free hand to attack Russian based air-defences and airbases it would be a huge issue for Ukraine (assuming Russia operated the S-300 and 400 complexes competently which is another story again).

Yep I agree, edited my post after your reply :). At this stage while I think giving them western planes is good, I still fully believe the best thing that Ukraine needs is a free hand to hit Russian airfields, bases and ammo depots in Crimea and Western Russia and for that they need lots of long range missiles, let's say 500km to 1000km range weapons systems

Last edited:

I still think the best way to help Ukraine is to give them lots of long range missiles (500km to 1000km range) and let them target air fields and ammo depots inside Western Russia and Crimea

That's actually such a complex operation, there's probably a small handful of countries that can actually do that.

I assume then defense lines differ from trench lines? So one defense line is made up of a series of trenches and any 2nd/3rd defense lines would be much further back with another line of trenches? Advancing 17km's seems odd they've only cost me into contact with one defense line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom