Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ukraine have proven that slow moving cruise missiles are completely ineffective and can be picked off by manpads and even some chad with an AK, let alone sophisticated AD systems. They have a very solid point. The likes of tomahawks will likely be just as vulnerable.
I remember Tomahawks being shot down in the gulf war , but then again nearly 300 were salvo on day 1.

Ukraine have proven that slow moving cruise missiles are completely ineffective and can be picked off by manpads and even some chad with an AK, let alone sophisticated AD systems. They have a very solid point. The likes of tomahawks will likely be just as vulnerable.

Er, is Himars also useless then?

Yet here we have storm Shadow wrecking havoc against the Russians very successfully happens to be subsonic.

Lmao

Yes, but if you pay closer attention you'll also see Russian missiles are hitting targets in ukraine that's not its capital city

Kyiv's air defence started out quite weak even though they did have air defence systems, it didn't improve until a dozen western systems arrived to fill the gaps. To have a high rate of effectiveness the systems need to overlap and you need a lot of them to avoid being overwhelmed

Ukraine is having no issue hitting Russian targets with storm shadows because they are hitting targets that don't have a type of Kyiv air defence network in place. It's very expensive to have a dozen SAMs and radar systems in every area where you have military equipment. Regardless of how well Kyiv is defended today, it has no bearing how easy it will be to hit other military targets

Last edited:
Lmao

Yes, but if you pay closer attention you'll also see Russian missiles are hitting targets in ukraine that's not its capital city

Kyiv's air defence started out quite weak even though they did have air defence systems, it didn't improve until a dozen western systems arrived to fill the gaps. To have a high rate of effectiveness the systems need to overlap and you need a lot of them to avoid being overwhelmed

Ukraine is having no issue hitting Russian targets with storm shadows because they are hitting targets that don't have a type of Kyiv air defence network in place. It's very expensive to have a dozen SAMs and radar systems in every area where you have military equipment. Regardless of how well Kyiv is defended today, it has no bearing how easy it will be to hit other military targets
Storm Shadow is a stealth system ;)

Storm Shadow is a stealth system ;)
To some extent. My understanding (Albeit far from expert) is that, whilst it does have some "stealth" characteristics. Though in this case its classed as low observability, owing to its angular shape, materials used and also its flight path characteristics. Making it difficult to track on radar. It isnt infallible, fire enough of them and Russia will eventually luck out. This is more down to ineffectual Russian Air Defense though. Thats not to say it isnt an effective weapon, it will likely prove less effective in future conflicts though.

Last edited:
Like every stealth system - use enough of them in repeatable ways and they other side will figure out what to do. AFU have asked for Tauraus KEPD 350, and rumour mill alight with JASSM heading that way as well (can be used already on F16)
I was under the impression that Germany kiboshed any aspiration for Tauraus. Though if F16 is eventually provided I could see JASSM being a strong possibility.

@steve45

Very Interesting! I always thought that the short sighted descision to go with ramps instead of CATOBAR was a mistake. I fully expect this study to never see fruition though. That would be a massive and extremely costly redesign job to retrofit to QE class. I do think it would be beneficial in the long run and would allow future aircraft purchases to be more flexible.
Whilst I do find the technical capability of the 35B impressive, the STOVL capability has too many drawbacks and added complication in my opinion.

Very Interesting! I always thought that the short sighted descision to go with ramps instead of CATOBAR was a mistake. I fully expect this study to never see fruition though. That would be a massive and extremely costly redesign job to retrofit to QE class. I do think it would be beneficial in the long run and would allow future aircraft purchases to be more flexible.
Whilst I do find the technical capability of the 35B impressive, the STOVL capability has too many drawbacks and added complication in my opinion.

It`ll only be EMALS-Lite ; so limited to kit under 55,000lbs wet , so no super hornet, F35C etc. From the designs i`ve seen , unless they decide to go angled deck , the best option would be to run a cat for Vixen along side the ramp. But, if im hoenst, it`ll just be cheaper to buy more F35B.

Russian MoD posts video of a destroyed T80 and claims it is Ukrainian, but in the video is a dead Russian soldier on the tank with his Russian arm patch clearly visible

Can't post link, it's on Twitter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom