Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, didn’t think cluster munitions were permitted anymore.
To my knowledge Neither USA, Russia or Ukraine are signed up to that treaty.
As far as I'm aware that's the main one covering the use of cluster munitions. There may be others that cover their use that I'm unaware of though.

So are far as this conflict is concerned, frowned upon but fair game.

To my knowledge Neither USA, Russia or Ukraine are signed up to that treaty.
As far as I'm aware that's the main one covering the use of cluster munitions. There may be others that cover their use that I'm unaware of though.

So are far as this conflict is concerned, frowned upon but fair game.

I'm not sure why they want these, unless it's "comparable" to the aerosol MLRS systems the Russians are using.
M26 bomblet rockets for the m270 MLRS are also classed as cluster munitions, and are perfect for saturation of trenches

I'm not sure why they want these, unless it's "comparable" to the aerosol MLRS systems the Russians are using.

Probably an option to get rid of old stock where the military wants to change stock. The issue is that it needs dropping from a plane and they're not a really a stand off/glide munition. I guarantee there's a load of manpads in Crimea and that's the issue with regards to suitability. Not being a standoff glide means it puts the fighter at risk. I suspect the US sees glide and standoff cluster munitions weapons being a higher priority to non-standoff cluster munitions.

The issue is that it needs dropping from a plane and they're not a really a stand off/glide munition.
As woppy101 alluded to the M26a1 rockets fired by the MLRS/HIMARS platform would be the most likely choice if USA are planning to supply.

M26 bomblet rockets for the m270 MLRS are also classed as cluster munitions, and are perfect for saturation of trenches

For context when fired these deploy over 500 of these with the capability of a self destructing fuse. Though if you looking into it deeper, there are a lot of reports from previous conflicts that suggest the self destructing feature isnt 100% reliable.

From Wall Street journal: the White House is very close to approving sending both ATACMS missiles and cluster munition weapons to Ukraine

Should they announce ATACMS or keep it unknown until they reach the battlefield like Storm Shadow?

Only 4 months to reach F16 type approval! how many months have these 2 pilots been training? Opps they are ready now.
The sooner the better. Maybe and that is maybe if they get the ruskies killed by a bucket load they will start realising that it is not the best idea to join the war in a foreign country. Now they only make videos that they weren't paid for a few months...pathetic nation.

I'm certainly not doubting that is stormshadow/SCALP wreckage, MBDA France markings, and stubby wings look about right.
Yeah they are not immune to being shot down, they are claimed to be low observable but not stealth/non-trackable. I think the early sucess is more down to Russian reluctance to having air defenses running all the time. Likely only unmasked the Pantsir to fire at the last safe moment. When it was detected by longer distance sensors or visually/audibly detected by observers, bearing and direction of travel would have been relayed.

Though if you looking into it deeper, there are a lot of reports from previous conflicts that suggest the self destructing feature isnt 100% reliable.
your not wrong, in GW1 people were caught playing cricket with the unexploded bomblets not knowing what they were, as nobody had much of a clue what was in the rocket as they were brand new to the British army, that’s first hand info as well as my best mate was a launcher operator in GW1. The Iraqis used to call it black rain, as they would see the rocket go over the top of them and then celebrate thinking it had missed, the way they work is they peel like a banana at a predetermined time in flight to then hit the correct target area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom