Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once twice three times a Commodore here typing from my Awacs , the only good russian in Ukraine is a dead un. Attention dont tell him pike. My sister Dolly has made some delightful cluster bombs.

What gets me about these videos is that all the talk of these super duper super smart weapons costing bajillions of dollars each, it still all comes down to 2 men up to their knees in mud stood 50 ft apart trying to kill each other.

I find the practical differences between the technology available on paper and actually in use a bit weird i.e. videos of a convoy of around 50 armoured vehicles, mostly MRAP type, moving as a complete company or small battalion, they've got a few tanks and so on but not a single air-defence vehicle, no Gepard, no Shilka, nothing a few very basic ancient MANPADS is all they have. Also as a side note no mobile artillery just a couple of ancient towed pieces and some mortars. A couple of loitering Russian helicopters and some drones poses a significant issue - a couple of Hinds would have ended their whole day.

Last edited:
I take offence when I hear comments like "people getting moist".
I am not getting moist, I am happy that we are giving the party who I believe is morally right (defending their lands from an aggressor) the best tools to achieve the lowest losses for them and the worse impact for the aggressor.
If someone is going to have a very bad day then I would rather its a Russian than a Ukrainian. Ideally neither but only Putin right now can make that choice.
The moist comment is IMO just as bad as any others.

As that was my comment I'll respond - If you don't think that you are personally "getting moist" then very clearly the comment isn't aimed at you, would you say thats fair? And if the comment clearly isn't aimed at you then why would you find it offensive on behalf of other people who might "get moist" over death? And why would you think that my comment, as offensive as it is to you, be as bad as the comments from people who are actually "getting moist" over the death of Russians?

I mean if you don't believe that some people in here "get moist" at watching Russians die then you are entirely justified in believing that, whilst on the other hand, after reading comments on here I am entirely justified in believing that there are in fact people in here who "get moist" over watching Russians die.

I am not saying what you can/can't decide to believe in, and if you don't like the expression "getting moist" thats perfectly fine with me, please be offended by all means but also realise that I believe it to be a true statement regarding the mental state of some of the people in here and therefore I won't change that opinion nor my wording. Now, how you decide to live with my statement is entirely up to you, I'm at peace with my decision.

Welcome to OCUK, home of the military experts reporting from the command centre in their parents basement.

The few of us in OcUK with actual military experience generally tend to leave this thread alone most of the time I've noticed. For myself (and I would gues the others too) its because most of the things mentioned in here, which people will argue about til they're blue in the face as if they were in-fact real experts, is just embarrassing, with very people asking genuine questions etc.

I know that I only pop in every few weeks, where I write a bunch of replies and then delete almost all of them realising its a waste of my time (as the current "death" discussion is), quickly leaving again for another few weeks just for my own mental health, as I'm about to now!

Russian news agency TASS says the T-55 is better than the Abrams

This is absolutely not propaganda and has nothing to do with the fact that the only tanks Russia has left in storage were built in the 1950s

They still have 100s of "good stock" T-72s from older/export models in storage - a couple of people who've done extensive satellite research put it at ~1500 and 1841 but IMO it is closer to half that*, while "good stock" T-54/55s are closer to 250. Contrary to what people seem to want to believe Russia's tank inventory plus new tank fabrication will still hold up for up to another couple of years of this war, at current rates of attrition, depending a bit on the scale of their maintenance and production operations which seem to have belated started to ramp up.

Same sources claim that ~700 tanks were removed from storage before the war, which aren't included in the Wiki, etc. estimates of number of active tanks in the Russian military, Russia were looking to reactivate ~2700 T-80s from (unmaintained) storage in that time, indications seem to be they got a good way through that program albeit with somewhat lesser results than claimed i.e. only a few 100 were upgraded to a modern standard rather than 2000+ as per Russian claims and many of those were done by cannibalising tanks in storage which were supposed to be turnkey maintained reserve stock. So I'd say that 700 was on the low side.

* IMO there has been a lot of confusion over the way Russia has cleared out some of the storage sites because of using Western logic in situations where there Russian government sees things differently (or the way the regime operates works differently).

Last edited:
Russian news agency TASS says the T-55 is better than the Abrams

This is absolutely not propaganda and has nothing to do with the fact that the only tanks Russia has left in storage were built in the 1950s

Which American Abrams are they referring to? This one?

colonel-abrams-trapped.gif

As that was my comment I'll respond - If you don't think that you are personally "getting moist" then very clearly the comment isn't aimed at you, would you say thats fair? And if the comment clearly isn't aimed at you then why would you find it offensive on behalf of other people who might "get moist" over death? And why would you think that my comment, as offensive as it is to you, be as bad as the comments from people who are actually "getting moist" over the death of Russians?

I mean if you don't believe that some people in here "get moist" at watching Russians die then you are entirely justified in believing that, whilst on the other hand, after reading comments on here I am entirely justified in believing that there are in fact people in here who "get moist" over watching Russians die.

I am not saying what you can/can't decide to believe in, and if you don't like the expression "getting moist" thats perfectly fine with me, please be offended by all means but also realise that I believe it to be a true statement regarding the mental state of some of the people in here and therefore I won't change that opinion nor my wording. Now, how you decide to live with my statement is entirely up to you, I'm at peace with my decision.

The few of us in OcUK with actual military experience generally tend to leave this thread alone most of the time I've noticed. For myself (and I would gues the others too) its because most of the things mentioned in here, which people will argue about til they're blue in the face as if they were in-fact real experts, is just embarrassing, with very people asking genuine questions etc.

I know that I only pop in every few weeks, where I write a bunch of replies and then delete almost all of them realising its a waste of my time (as the current "death" discussion is), quickly leaving again for another few weeks just for my own mental health, as I'm about to now!

Seeing as I posted the video that triggered the moist comment then I can only assume you would include me in that comment.
If not your really tippytoeing around.

Maybe if your going to dip in and you have some real insights you could focus on them and not the moral outrage.
Your not going to convince people with the way you post what you do.

I am sure we would all rather see the expert view and leave the moral side to those who don't serve ;)

Would a T-55 even be a match for a MK7 Centurion with the L7 105mm gun?

There is very little tank on tank combat nowadays (or even in ww2 ) The bulk of rounds used are HE or a variant of; really think of an armoured fighting vehicle as mobile artillery with specific mission set.

Last edited:
Would a T-55 even be a match for a MK7 Centurion with the L7 105mm gun?

It is a bit of an odd one actually - if you plonk inexperience crews in each and duke it out the T-55s would likely come out on top, if you put experienced crews in and employ tactics the Centurions will win all day long. (Possibly one reason Russia is pulling so many out of storage).

Last edited:
Have I posted anywhere that I'm looking for "sympathy for Russians"? If I have would you mind quoting it for me please so I can read it for myself, thanks.

Absolutely true. However I think the point being made is that, whilst people understand that war is horrible and people die or get injured and that its gets filmed and shown nowadays, some people seem to take an almost perverse level of joy in seeing a human being ripped apart or dying, and seeing people with that level of joy over death doesn't sit right with a lot of people, especially when the "justification" for that level of joy boils down to "but they're the enemy so its OK" whilst they also argue that that Russians who get enjoyment out of seeing dead Ukrainians are "bad, evil people".
Personally whilst I take no pleasure in a Russians death, I admittedly don't care either, they shouldn't be their to be dyeing in the first place.

For me they are a casualty of their own doing. The main reason is not because they're Russian its because I don't know what type of soldiers they are.

With that I mean is have saw and read about Russian soldiers torturing, rapping and kidnapping kids in their hundreds of thousands. 700k kids to be more or less the number

So recently I saw a Russian soldier, he was known to have castrated a prisoner was killed and I was happy he was dead, there have been a few in the news recently, known war criminals and I was glad they were dead.

I do however feel sympathy for the many thousands of young Russian men conscripted, given a gun with no training and sent to the front line.

At the same time if its them or a Ukrainian then I hope the Ukrainian comes out on top.

Then there's the Wagner mercs, I hope they all die horrible deaths because I know they all monsters. Once again though I do have some sympathy for the convicts who were forced to die in their thousand in Bachmut, they weren't true Wagnerites, they were drugged and used as cannon fodder
As far as I know there is 8500 proper Wagner and it may be up to 25k, they can all burn in flames as far as i,m concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom