Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep saying they'll lose interest, but hasn't happened yet.

I don't see them losing interest, this isn't a fight that Russia can be allowed to win.

The nations invested in this outcome going against Russia aren't tiktok influencers, they won't get bored after 5 minutes.
Would have lost interest by now if that was the case.

I do worry a little though about the Trump factor.

If you bothered to read the pentagon statement you'd know that US production of HE 155mm rounds can't keep up with Ukraine's usage rate and to prevent US stockpiles running too low, they are switching to sending DPICM rounds while extra production of HE is being constructed - once HE production has increased, supplies to Ukraine of DPICM cluster rounds will cease

That could be true - it could also be the case they completely made that up in order to justify the use of what are arguably illegal weapons. And in this case I would suggest its going to be much harder to turn off the tap than turn it on.

If you think both sides don't engage in propaganda then you're naive.

People keep saying they'll lose interest, but hasn't happened yet.

I don't see them losing interest, this isn't a fight that Russia can be allowed to win.

The nations invested in this outcome going against Russia aren't tiktok influencers, they won't get bored after 5 minutes.

No matter how much Chris Wilson prays for it

That could be true - it could also be the case they completely made that up in order to justify the use of what are arguably illegal weapons. And in this case I would suggest its going to be much harder to turn off the tap than turn it on.

If you think both sides don't engage in propaganda then you're naive.

They are not arguably illegal.

As far as the US is concerned they are legal as they are not a party to the agreement that prohibits them.
The Ukrainian government likewise I believe.

It will be innocent civilians who are killed or maimed by the unexploded bomblets for years to come. It doesn't matter who launched them, the lasting consequences are the same.

There are more innocent civilians being killed, raped and tortured while the Russians are there. The sooner the Russians are out the sooner that stops.

It will be innocent civilians who are killed or maimed by the unexploded bomblets for years to come. It doesn't matter who launched them, the lasting consequences are the same.

The only thing that makes me have less of an issue here vs in other potential conflicts is that from everything I have seen about the Ukrainian administration they seem very focused on the rigth things.
As such I think they would work hard on dealing with the legacy left over efficiently which would dramatically cut down on the longer term impact.

...umm, have you seen the state of society these days :D

Yes. A few posters demonstrate it quite regularly in this very thread.
We thank them for their service is showing how out of touch and weak some are.

Last edited:
I get the concern, they are totally valid. Probably why it’s taken this long for them to be given.
But, they’ll be for a specific purpose - to saturate areas where the Russians are dug in and normal shells can’t do enough. Horrible arithmetic but if it results in more Russians killed than Ukrainians having to assault + the collateral in the years later then it’s an option they have to take.
They should only be getting used in areas that are already filled to the brim with mines, unexploded ordinance etc so it’s not like there won’t be a huge cleanup effort afterwards regardless. Plus they will hopefully keep track of where they’ve been deployed.
Edit: don’t get me wrong though, it is a slippery slope. Follow that same logic to the nth and you can start arguing the use of chemical or bio weapons.
Hopefully a sensible middle ground has been found.

Last edited:
They should only be getting used in areas that are already filled to the brim with mines, unexploded ordinance etc so it’s not like there won’t be a huge cleanup effort afterwards regardless. Plus they will hopefully keep track of where they’ve been deployed.

Hopefully, but these things are rarely foolproof. This will be mitigation rather than elimination of the problem.

Edit: don’t get me wrong though, it is a slippery slope. Follow that same logic to the nth and you can start arguing the use of chemical or bio weapons.

It's not just chemical or bio weapon use that is affected, it's the use of cluster munitions elsewhere. Every time these weapons are used with the tacit support of nations that are party to the ban it weakens the argument against their use elsewhere. If we buy the argument that this use is special and so okay, then it opens the argument that this next time is special and so okay too.

Of course, the US's refusal to sign up to the convention is already driving a coach and horses through the convention anyway, so perhaps it doesn't matter. But I will very surprised if we don't see the supply to, and use by, Ukraine used as justification by some group or another in the near future.

1000 years to clear Laos of unexploded ordinance, I've seen figures say 800 years but it doesn't really matter, both are equally horrifying numbers. Sadly, these weapons will have a practical use (pragmatic head on) and if I were Ukrainian, I guarantee I would condone the use of them. I wonder what the average civilian in Ukraine thinks.

1000 years to clear Laos of unexploded ordinance, I've seen figures say 800 years but it doesn't really matter, both are equally horrifying numbers. Sadly, these weapons will have a practical use (pragmatic head on) and if I were Ukrainian, I guarantee I would condone the use of them. I wonder what the average civilian in Ukraine thinks.

It is probably easier to simply flatten the area using anti-mine ordnance and rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom