Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russia may as well be on another planet for how they work, it's just alien to our own logic

It is just bonkers how alien everything is there- "This is russia".

I feel sorry for Ivan the brickie in Novosibirsk. Imagine living in a country where nothing is predictable- and rule of law doesn't exist.

And it's been like that for hundreds of years!

The same way the Soviet-Afghan war ended.

We supply the opposition until Russia has expended too much military, financial and political capital that it either can't achieve its objectives or decides they are no longer worth the cost.

Russia is going, albeit slowly, along the road to full civil and military mobilisation, if Ukraine had been able, partly with more timely efforts from the West, to more decisively put Russian forces on the back foot and heavier losses in the opening months the cost might have seemed prohibitive enough it wasn't worth it, but now it is kind of a slow boil - it'll probably take an invasion of Russia to force that kind of exhaustion any time soon and Ukraine simply doesn't have the man power for that even if the rest of the world was able to provide the logistics and manufacturing to make it possible (even ignoring any nuclear weapon implications there).

This whole thing with Prigozhin as much as anything IMO has been to see who is and isn't loyal to Putin to better clear the way for further action(s) of some sort.

The only thing which might make a difference is they are increasingly going to have to start tapping into the western regions and/or more affluent sections of society to raise manpower and that might start to create undercurrents in Russian society against the war - another reason maybe Putin maybe has used this whole thing with Prigozhin intentionally or otherwise as a kind of purge.

Last edited:
Russia is going, albeit slowly, along the road to full civil and military mobilisation, if Ukraine had been able, partly with more timely efforts from the West, to more decisively put Russian forces on the back foot and heavier losses in the opening months the cost might have seemed prohibitive enough it wasn't worth it, but now it is kind of a slow boil - it'll probably take an invasion of Russia to force that kind of exhaustion any time soon and Ukraine simply doesn't have the man power for that even if the rest of the world was able to provide the logistics and manufacturing to make it possible (even ignoring any nuclear weapon implications there).

This whole thing with Prigozhin as much as anything IMO has been to see who is and isn't loyal to Putin to better clear the way for further action(s) of some sort.

The only thing which might make a difference is they are increasingly going to have to start tapping into the western regions and/or more affluent sections of society to raise manpower and that might start to create undercurrents in Russian society against the war - another reason maybe Putin maybe has used this whole thing with Prigozhin intentionally or otherwise as a kind of purge.
I think Russia partly wanted to bring the Ukrainian people under it's control whilst pushing western influence away from its own borders and to further discourage the Belorussian people from having any ideas about looking to the west. Russia is always viewed as having a limitless population, but really they are very short of people, the EU far outnumbers Russia. I think you are correct that Putin won't want to have to draw from the more afluent western part of Russia; he would have wanted to have the Ukrainian population under his control for any future adventures - a stock of people the Russians didn't care about.

Maybe going to a total war economy might reach Russia's aims - but the long term damage it will do to them may finish them anyway. For a country facing a population crissis, entering a casualty heavy war isn't a great idea.

Don't want to misunderstand here.. is he saying the war in Ukraine is legitimate by Russia?
I don't think so, he's just saying Graham is a hypocrite for making public statements slamming the perpetrators of illegal wars, when he previously vehemently supported an illegal war against Iraq.

Shouldn't that be Turkiye, as, well that's what the country is called now.
It's Turkiye in their native language, but in English it's Turkey. Most countries have different spellings/pronunciations in their own language, I.E France/Française, Germany/Deutschland, Spain/Espana, Wales/Cymru, Russia/Россия, etc.

Last edited:
Bad guy Turkey, being a massive **** as usual.
Ball, I really hoped I was going to be wrong about that.

Can't see the EU agreeing though, not unless hew removes his troops from Cyprus.

I long for the days of @Turn and his verbatim Bloomberg/ reuters feed.
One of the best things about this thread previously was getting him copying stuff off his terminal so we got the news about the war before it actually went online <3

Now half the thread pages are just mindless trash grade twitter spam :(

When the teacher knows you didn't research your answer
At the start of 2022 Russia had the second most powerful military in the world, at the end of 2022 Russia had the second most powerful military in Ukraine :P

We supply the opposition until Russia has expended too much military, financial and political capital that it either can't achieve its objectives or decides they are no longer worth the cost.
The problem with this idea is, that the Afghans were able to defeat the USSR, and the USA, and the UK, because thye had the advantage of fighting for their homes against an enemy who was only there to prop up a puppet regime, there wasn't really anything in it for them in the grand scheme. It's the same reason Vietnam were able to defeat the USA.

Sadly while Ukraine are also fighting for their homes, Russia have a significantly more vested interest in Ukraine than anyone had in Afghanistan.

There's no perfect analogy, but a much better one than Afghanistan would be Northern Ireland. The USSR, Libya, etc and even many elements in the USA spent most of the 20th century supplying the IRA with weapons, money, training, etc all in the aim of making the UK pull out from NI and allow unification. However unlike a distant colony that would eventually be not worth the cost to fight for NI was seen as an integral part of the UK and so all their efforts failed and the IRA eventually had to come to the negotiating table (obviously concessions were made on both sides but the the results heavily favoured unionism).

Like the UK with NI, Russia aren't going to simply give up on the parts of Ukraine they want, especially Crimea :(

the world must look so simple to you when everybody who doesn't agree [with opinions forced upon you by western mainstream] must be either on payroll or personal friend of Putin...
I take it you haven't seen many of his comments, if you cant see the propaganda coming from him and the so called american general whos name escapes me that he normally teams up with then don't comment until you do.

The world in their case is so simple to me, they are quite clearly Russian stooges who make it up as they go, deny the genocide and blame Ukraine for starting the war. just spouting obvious lies, It doesn't take a genius to work out whos running them.

I suggest you look him up and see how nuts he is.

Oh and did I forget to mention hes a convicted pedophile

Last edited:

*NATO’s Stoltenberg Says Turkey’s Erdogan Has Agreed to Forward to Parliament Sweden NATO Membership Bid
*NATO’s Stoltenberg Says Completing Swedish Membership Bid is “Historical Step”
*NATO’s Stoltenberg Says It’s a Clear Commitment, Turkey’s Erdogan Has Said It Will Happen as Soon as Possible

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom