Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al lot of the media (news, podcasts) seems to be pretty pessimistic about any sort of pro Ukrainian outcome and Putin seems emboldened by the changing sentiment. As if his strategy was a bit more painful than expected but ultimately right. Unless UA can inflict some major damage to Crimea in the next 3-4 months we could be approaching an endgame which will be a terrifying prospect. Realistically only the F16 aircraft seem to offer any sort of incremental firepower and they will be blunted if there isn't enough ammo to back up any air superiority on the ground. Not a very encouraging start to the year. Let's hope the West can sort itself out and make good on its "whatever it takes" rhetoric.

Please! Give us a reason!!! We can make it quick! I'm sure Poland would like to get in on the action as well!
Sadly not sure our current Government has the minerals to actually do anything if this were to happen.
Make it quick? What exactly is it you think we could do?

Turkey would never let our navy into the black sea.

Our army is smaller than Ukraine's and we barely have 1/10th of their tank force, you know the things they are always saying they don't have enough of.

And our air force while better than Ukraine's is still no match for Russia's air force and /air defences so would be mostly just as ineffective.

If we did decide to Leeroy Jenkins into Ukraine to help out it would be a splash in the ocean, the only game changer would be if it caused NATO to get involved.

Crikey, that should be impossible. What a shot.
In WW2 a German tank ace managed to shoot down an IL-2 Sturmovik (basically the grandfather of the Su-25 and A-10) with the main cannon of his Tiger. Although rare this improbable stuff does happen in war and is usually quite spectacular when it does.

Never knew that WWII extended into the late 50s/early 60s.
Many weapon systems that emerged in the 50s actually began initial design or at least concepts during WW2. A prime example of such is the T-54 tank, which technically makes the T-90 tank a heavily modified/upgraded version of a design from WW2 lol.

Last edited:
Make it quick? What exactly is it you think we could do?

Turkey would never let our navy into the black sea.

Our army is smaller than Ukraine's and we barely have 1/10th of their tank force, you know the things they are always saying they don't have enough of.

And our air force while better than Ukraine's is still no match for Russia's air force and /air defences so would be mostly just as ineffective.

If we did decide to Leeroy Jenkins into Ukraine to help out it would be a splash in the ocean, the only game changer would be if it caused NATO to get involved.

That depends a bit - if we were operating our armed forces full equipped to their on paper capabilities and numbers it would be a very different story, but we aren't. Quite frankly in the air utilising stuff like Meteors and at full strength we'd annihilate Russia in air-to-air, though their air-defences pose another threat. If we had the full compliment of Challengers operational in latest kit backed up with proper support including Brimstone platforms and avoided scenarios which directly favoured Russia's strengths again things wouldn't go well for Russia - we could outrange their effective fire and have an answer to massed armour charges in the open.

Storm Shadows show somewhat the effectiveness of relatively limited resources if we put our efforts into it.

Last edited:
Please do, make my day, attack a British warship and then finally NATO can implement a no fly zone across Ukraine
NATO article five cannot be triggered in response to an attack on a warship so far from it's home waters.

Article 5 covers only member states' territories in Europe, North America, Turkey, and islands in the Atlantic north of the Tropic of Cancer. The last part is there to specify that that attacks on islands such as Hawaii and the Falklands are not covered by article five.

Actually, on the above points (and I hope I don't accidentally give any bots a good idea to take back to their master here) if Putin really wanted to strike back at the UK, all he needs to do is send a large group of warships down to Argentina and ask their new far right government if they would like the British military removed form the Falklands. Luckily I think he's too dumb to think of something that outside the box.

Actually, on the above points (and I hope I don't accidentally give any bots a good idea to take back to their master here) if Putin really wanted to strike back at the UK, all he needs to do is send a large group of warships down to Argentina and ask their new far right government if they would like the British military removed form the Falklands. Luckily I think he's too dumb to think of something that outside the box.

Given the track record of Storm Shadows and the operational state of Russian ships I wouldn't want to sail my ships anywhere remotely close to British territory if I was Putin :s

EDIT: Falklands is certainly a potential conflict point Putin/Russia might try to stir up though.

Many weapon systems that emerged in the 50s actually began initial design or at least concepts during WW2. A prime example of such is the T-54 tank, which technically makes the T-90 tank a heavily modified/upgraded version of a design from WW2 lol.

Yeah - B-52s for instance - started life 1946.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom